Author Topic: Wizard vs boat.  (Read 4596 times)

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
Re: Wizard vs boat.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
If you can animate the boat, you can then cast Sink from the SpC on a boat, since it is now a "creature." It will then sink 100 feet for one round, which will seriously mess up any plans the people on board had, especially thanks to crushing damage.

It's a shame wizards don't get animate object, I rather like this.

Yeah, both Animate Object and Sink are Cleric spells. I actually have no idea why I brought it up besides how cool it is...
Because there are ways to get those spells on a wizard's spell list? :p

Only if you can find yourself a scroll-crafting Naga or take the feat Extra Spell RAW.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
If you can animate the boat, you can then cast Sink from the SpC on a boat, since it is now a "creature." It will then sink 100 feet for one round, which will seriously mess up any plans the people on board had, especially thanks to crushing damage.

It's a shame wizards don't get animate object, I rather like this.

Yeah, both Animate Object and Sink are Cleric spells. I actually have no idea why I brought it up besides how cool it is...
Because there are ways to get those spells on a wizard's spell list? :p

Only if you can find yourself a scroll-crafting Naga or take the feat Extra Spell RAW.
First thing that sprang to my mind was Wyrm Wizard 2 (Dragon Magic p.55), but this is kind of a waste of Spell Research. There are other ways though, but I'm not sure if the thread is up-to-date.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

SquishE

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »
I honestly forgot that disintegrate burns a hole that big. xD

Polymorph into a 12 headed hydra? :p

....A pyrohydra. O_O

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »
Polymorph into a 12 headed hydra? :p

....A pyrohydra. O_O
Cryohydra FTW! Freeze the water, freeze the boat, do the whole cold then really hot thing to shatter it naturally  ;) Which I did as a lightning sorc once... full out ,axed lightning caster, shot a polar ray at something or other, then used the rod of quicken to throw a maximized lightning bolt (yes I burned a feat to prepare spells, I was bored what can I say  :shrug) and got the DM to agree that I shattered the rocks... backdoor into the big bad EVIL thing that was 10 or so levels above us  0:)
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 06:15:46 AM »
Sound Lance - can target objects
Giant's Wrath - throw pebbles that grow into boulders
Lingering Flames - target the prow, let the ship sail through, hitting everything along the way
Wall of Gears - place it lengthwise, by the mast (within 10')
Glass Strike - followed up with the mundanes shooting whatever they've got
Prismatic Wall - doesn't have to be placed on a surface!  Let their ship sail right through it...

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
Wall. Of. Fire.

Also +1 Starburst Nectomantic BallastaA&E? help.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »
I believe walls have to be anchored to a solid surface, SorO. Though I'm not 100% sure on this (at least for energy walls).

Also, fire doesn't do much on one round of exposure. Psi sonic would be better, since it ignores hardness. Just plant one where the ship would have to run it lengthwise.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:33:31 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
Yeah, most energy walls don't seem to have to be placed on a surface or anchored to anything.  But if you're going for 4th level, I'd rather use Vortex of Teeth than Wall of Fire, unless it was a ship-full of corporeal undead.