Author Topic: Wyrm Wizard -- worth it?  (Read 4850 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Wyrm Wizard -- worth it?
« on: September 24, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
I'm trying to think of a build that utilizes Wyrm Wizard... where what WW give you can't be duplicated better by other things.  For example, you wanted 5 divine spells?  Take Arcane Disciple and have 9, or go Rainbow Servant and have all of them, without losing CLs.  Factotum can let you negate SR, and gives you extra standard actions at the same time.  Anima Mage and Incantatrix let you do free magic much more effectively.

So what good is the Wyrm Wizard?  Or is it... not?  I like the idea, but does the execution fail?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Wyrm Wizard -- worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
A 2 level dip is decent for Duskblades who want Arcane Fusion or another useful spell. But, ultimately, it falls short of the Recaster.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »

If you've a PsyRef handy over and over ...
getting lots of divine over to arcane is useful, if not optimal.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:32:36 AM »
As a capstone for a beguiler, it is quite nice ... Beguiler 18/Wyrm Wizard 2 --> Cast Miracle.

Sorcerer 18/Wyrm Wizard 2 (for Miracle ... give up a little power, gain versatility)

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »

If you've a PsyRef handy over and over ...
getting lots of divine over to arcane is useful, if not optimal.

I have my doubts. You may add the spell to your spell list, go about scribing it in a spellbook or scrolls, but once you PsyRef, you undo adding the spell to your class spell list. Certainly can UMD the scroll, and otherwise have the spell sitting around without a proper class spell list to cast it - same potential situation as Tome of Ancient Lore turning up arcane spell versions of everything.

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
Wyrmm wizard to gain arcane fusion as a wizard is very worth it since you know all spells in your spellbook.  It can also be useful to get anyspell or giant size or body outside body.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »
(Greater/Lesser) Anyspell, (Greater/Lesser) Arcane Fusion, Wings of Flurry (on an Evoker...), Warp Destiny, Choose Destiny, Heal (+Fortunate Fate, Pact of Return...). Those are the few spells I'd say were worth it in a nutshell.

As a Sorcerer, it's much easier to get all those, through Domain Access, Runestaves/Domain Staves + UMD, or a Drakehelm, among other things, such as Fiend-Blooded.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:10:14 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.