Author Topic: Monster Game - Interest?  (Read 31946 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Monster Game - Interest?
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
@Pip: Why would you be stuck taking Sorcerer levels, anyway?

PipTheBlue

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
I thought the Green Hag entry said its class levels stack with sorcerer levels regarding spellcasting. I'll think about it some more and try to present something tomorrow.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »
By the way, I kind of like this Snowscaper class as a way of making that "icy gaze" I mentioned earlier a little more literal. Any thoughts? :D

The way I'd interpret it, Son/Daughter of Silence levels would count toward class levels for determining damage and effective caster level, but not toward class features. If it worked that way, I would not be unhappy with it. >_> <_<

Plus, it would turn me into a themed mini boss, which would be very appropriate for the game's theme. :P

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »
I don't check the pbp forum enough I guess.... this looks awesome but you probably already have enough players.

Krika

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
And now I just need to figure out what I'm supposed to do with the extra 2 levels I have after Will-o-Wisp is complete....And this is assuming I'm not allowed to take levels in Creature of Legend just yet.

And figure out how I'm supposed to talk. Kinda a big thing.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »
Light pulses + Morse code.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
Well, there must be some way you can gain telepathy...

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
Quick question: With your monster classes and such, when an entry says "at each x additional HD", does that include class levels as well, or only levels in that monster class?

When it says HD, it's meant to be all your class levels. One of the basis of this project was that your abilities keep scaling with you.

I thought the Green Hag entry said its class levels stack with sorcerer levels regarding spellcasting. I'll think about it some more and try to present something tomorrow.

That's correct. Not all caster monsters stack with everything.

By the way, I kind of like this Snowscaper class as a way of making that "icy gaze" I mentioned earlier a little more literal. Any thoughts? :D

I'll allow it with the following changes:
[spoiler]
-Brittling allows a reflex save (flat footed is a lot more serious than just losing dex bonus to AC as it stops you from making Aoos and immediate actions).
-Create ice object 1/day per 2 HD.
-Skate 2/day per HD.
-Frost's bite removed.
-Ground Freze 1/day per HD.
-Encumber 1/day per 2 HD.
-Let it snow up to HDxCha rounds per day.
-Feeeze 1/day per 3 HD.
-Never-melt ice doesn't grant immunity to fire, but makes it that your ice doesn't take extra damage from fire.
-Create more ice 1/day per 3 HD.
-Wall of ice 1/day per HD.
-Blizzard 1/minute.
-Animate Snow 1/day per HD.
-Create tons of ice 1/day per 4 HD.
-Wintersmith 1/day per 5 HD, lasts just 1 day, doesn't get the 13th level and 17th level upgrades, but allows you now to ignore cold resistance equal to your HD and deal half damage to enemies immune to cold.
-The great blizzard 1/hour.

[/spoiler]

I don't check the pbp forum enough I guess.... this looks awesome but you probably already have enough players.
Again, nobody has actualy delivered any sheets, so you can still try your luck.

And now I just need to figure out what I'm supposed to do with the extra 2 levels I have after Will-o-Wisp is complete....And this is assuming I'm not allowed to take levels in Creature of Legend just yet.

And figure out how I'm supposed to talk. Kinda a big thing.

Hmm, good point, Deceivingly Innocent form now allows speech.

As for creature of legend, well, if you can get a good enough backstory, I may just allow it. :P

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Well, a couple things. Brittling doesn't have flat-footed as an effect. It makes the target lose their dex bonus to AC, rather than making them flat-footed. I don't mind allowing a reflex save so much, but keep in mind that it's a standard action and only ever does 1d6 damage. You're trading your action, capable of doing a lot more harm, in exchange for removing someone's dex bonus to AC and possibly halving an object's hardness for 1-4 rounds. Magic Missile does more damage, and doesn't require a reflex save. And as I mentioned before, this is not even instilling the flat-footed condition.

All the other changes I can deal with, except the complete removal of Frost's Bite, rather than spreading out its effects over the course of the class. Cold resistance is pretty common, and as energy immunities go, as I understand it Cold comes right under Fire. Ignoring hardness is meant to reflect a coldness that is so bitter that is makes objects more brittle, and easier to break (as happens IRL with such levels of chill on many materials). I would suggest changing it rather than removing it, so that at level 3, it overcomes an amount of cold resistance equal to the caster's HD, with Cold immunity being treated as Cold Resistance 25 (so that at level 3 when the ability is normally gained, you're still unlikely to do any damage to a cold-immune creature, but at level 13, you're actually able to make a dent because your cold powers are so much more frigid). (changed idea, see below). Then at level 8, cold powers interact with hardness on the same level as acid/sonic (ie: dealing normal damage, reduced by hardness as normal, rather than 1/4 damage).

I think that, as a scaling bypass ability, it's more than appropriate and fair. And if you still think it's too much, I could do without the Skate line of abilities, since I'll have flight anyway. If the class were being taken as a base class at level 1, then I'd agree that it's too much for that level, but this is being taken starting at level 7. My character won't even have the ability until next level (ECL 9), assuming we make it that long.

And one question about your change to never-melt ice: Would you say that an ice creation wouldn't melt unless hit by fire damage, or is it that it still melts regardless and just doesn't take 50% more damage or so from fire?

As for all the changes, especially to say Wintersmith, please keep in mind what level I'm actually getting those benefits. Wintersmith doesn't come until level 19. I don't expect to have the level 15 and 17 upgrades since it comes far after I'd achieve those benefits, so I don't mind those being stricken. But as for the change adding the resist/immune bypass at that level, please see my above idea.

--edit--
Not changing my opinion about frost's bite, except for having it mirror the Fire Mage's "Piercing Flames"
Piercing Flames (Ex): From 3rd level on, a Fire Mage's Fire cuts through Fire Resistance, hardness, and Immunity. No more than ½ of the damage inflicted by his fire damage can be negated by hardness or immunity or resistance to Fire. In addition, the Fire Mage ignores the first 5 points of Fire Resistance that a target has.
Rather than having it be this exactly, I suggest doing the ignore resistance up to = HD, then follow the quote ability pertaining to immunity (dealing half damage to cold immune creatures). I'd also suggest the other hardness solution I came up with above, where it doesn't bypass hardness, it just does normal damage vs. objects rather than 1/4.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:56:56 PM by VennDygrem »

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
Well, a couple things. Brittling doesn't have flat-footed as an effect. It makes the target lose their dex bonus to AC, rather than making them flat-footed. I don't mind allowing a reflex save so much, but keep in mind that it's a standard action and only ever does 1d6 damage. You're trading your action, capable of doing a lot more harm, in exchange for removing someone's dex bonus to AC and possibly halving an object's hardness for 1-4 rounds. Magic Missile does more damage, and doesn't require a reflex save. And as I mentioned before, this is not even instilling the flat-footed condition.
Hmm, could've sweared it created the flat-footed condition. In that case it's ok whitout a save.

All the other changes I can deal with, except the complete removal of Frost's Bite, rather than spreading out its effects over the course of the class. Cold resistance is pretty common, and as energy immunities go, as I understand it Cold comes right under Fire. Ignoring hardness is meant to reflect a coldness that is so bitter that is makes objects more brittle, and easier to break (as happens IRL with such levels of chill on many materials). I would suggest changing it rather than removing it, so that at level 3, it overcomes an amount of cold resistance equal to the caster's HD, with Cold immunity being treated as Cold Resistance 25 (so that at level 3 when the ability is normally gained, you're still unlikely to do any damage to a cold-immune creature, but at level 13, you're actually able to make a dent because your cold powers are so much more frigid). Then at level 8, cold powers interact with hardness on the same level as acid/sonic (ie: dealing normal damage, reduced by hardness as normal, rather than 1/4 damage).
Have cold Immunity count as Cold Resistance 30 and you have a deal here.

And one question about your change to never-melt ice: Would you say that an ice creation wouldn't melt unless hit by fire damage, or is it that it still melts regardless and just doesn't take 50% more damage or so from fire?
Only melts by fire, and doesn't take the extra 50% damage.

EDIT: As for your edit, no, you're not dealing half-damage to immunity with just 3 levels of anything. I'll rather take your first sugestion. In particular because it could lead to cold-immune creatures taking more damage than enemies with very high resistances.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
What I intended, but didn't write properly, was that the "never takes less than half damage" thing would be a later ability, but as you say, it could lead to some wonky dealings.

I will gladly accept the immunity = resistance 30.

Mainly, I want this character to literally run a chill up her enemies' spines. :D
The idea is to take the "half-ghost" concept and run with it.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
A frosty character, and a dragon from the plane of chaotic volcanoes? Oh yeah, we're gonna get along like pie and whipped cream.  :p

My guy will be done by the end of the day, just deciding on gear and two feats.

PipTheBlue

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »
You can request it yes, but I'll need some time to get it up. None of the other hags interest you?
Actually, I think the Annis Hag is pretty cool to. Doesn't limit me to focusing on spellcasting either.
My plan for now is to go Annis Hag/Librarian dip/Monstrumologist. I have no idea what playing this is going to be like, so let's find out  :)
I see before me a too ugly for words librarian which eats your firstborn as a first warning to be quiet and curses your whole family as a second.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:41:24 PM by PipTheBlue »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »
I'm also pretty interested in this. I would love to play a ghost, but if that isn't monstrous enough, I can add something else.

Uuh. Or I could play a Medusa Archer. That would be pretty cool!

EDIT: I just saw you made stats for an awakened Gelationous cube! Gelatinous Cube Wizard for the fricking win!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:12:17 PM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
Librarian and Monstruologist both allowed. Really like that idea.

Mixster:Ghost would be enough, but if you want to make a gelatinous cube wizard, feel free to unleash the madness! :P

So just keeping tabs, we have so far on the works:
-Pyroclastic dragon.
-Chilling phantasm.
-Child-eating hag.
-Gelatinous cube wizard

This is turning out to be quite the interesting party.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
dont forget about me!
im making a melee character. i was going to pm you the details but instead i will just ask you here.

i want to make either a
Terrrasque, or Pit Fiend.

If both are ok i would like to go with the big T  :D   ... actually eithers cool with me. But Im favoring the big T  :)
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
excellent. I have started the Big T. Its not finished but I will complete it today.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=332258

So if we are pairing up or w/e we are doing this is what I will be making.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
Wow, okay, dna1, we should talk. If I'm the young-getting-bigger dragon, and you're the big-T, we totally need a sort of sibling rivalry over biggest "monster" pet of the BBEG.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »
Again, nobody has actualy delivered any sheets, so you can still try your luck.

In that case I would like to ask about one of my homebrew creations:
Grimoire Dragons and the class that goes with them the Scholar.

The monster class makes a much better melee than caster but it works as a sort of gish.

That or a Maug (Fiend folio 121) because they are badass
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:13:32 PM by Littha »