Author Topic: Concerning a Druid's (or Ranger's) Animal Companion  (Read 9273 times)

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Concerning a Druid's (or Ranger's) Animal Companion
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 04:30:01 AM »
Using the size advancement basically gives the druid a relative power bump at 3rd (with the advanced wolf) and then allows the fleshraker to be the best option (or at least near-best) all the way to 20.  It's not really a major difference either way; the only levels you would probably notice it would be 3rd (as already noted) and 9th (when the fleshraker advances) but the advantage would be pretty unnoticeable again by 12th.  

There are a couple other possible ACs that it messes with a bit, but I think the changes there are probably less noticeable.

/shrug

As a DM, I wouldn't kick up a fuss if the player really wanted to do it like this, but otherwise, I'll stick to the same-size method.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »
Other place this matters is for halflings and gnomes trying to get an appropriate-sized core flying mount, namely, an advanced eagle, which isn't on any particular list and there's no indication of which it would be.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Yeah just use the damned bat. The suggestion was that in case you DO advance them by size, allow the choice of whether or not to grow.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."