Author Topic: How would you create this guy? A CO challenge.  (Read 14203 times)

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: How would you create this guy? A CO challenge.
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
Straight up, all the way, Factotum 20 with a lot of Font of Inspiration does Deathstroke very well.  You get a TON of abilities from so many different classes.  You CAN do practically everything Deathstroke does, and you don't have Infinite Actions - just a crap ton.  A level 20 Factotum with Font of Inspiration a bunch of times is hardly something I would call TO.

Oh no, that is a completly fair build. Infinite-actions through infinite inspiration points is TO though, which was the point I was addressing.

And DnD does use guns.  There are tons of stats for guns in multiple sourcebooks including just the basic DMG.  So that's silly.

Oh yeah, because so many people use the rules for firearms... Man, there are all those npcs who regularly use guns and all those crafters crafting guns. How could I over-look that one little part of the DMG that no one ever uses because firearms in D&D are awful and any marksman would be better using crossbows/longbows...

How silly of me indeed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:28:11 PM by dark_samuari »

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »
Underlining, bolding AND italicizing is now an appropriate argument?  This forum has gone to the dogs.  "No one ever uses" these rules you say?  Well I know my group does, so again you're wrong.  I would like to see where you get your statistics from because you seem to be intimating you know what rules all D&D groups use.

Your argument of "D&D doesn't use guns" was proven patently false because of a CORE sourcebook.  Not only was your argument completely false, it was also silly.  The rules are there to be used or not; if a player in a campaign wanted to use guns because Deathstroke uses guns, and that's the inspiration for their character, I have rules for guns right in a CORE sourcebook for them to use.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »
I can not recall anyone on these forums every using the rules for firearms because from a character optimization stand-point they are terrible. In fact I can't recall any npc in any WOTC supplement using firearms, so when I make such claims they are grounded in some sort of basis. Just like laser rifles, D&D doesn't use firearms, they just don't. Perhaps your group uses firearms, awesome. Yay to go, but that isn't exactly the norm (from what I can gather from this community & others).

So throw this dog a bone...

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 02:32:28 AM »
Seriously as the OP I'd like to get us back on track here.

I can respect anyones opinion and if someone's is that Deathstroke for whatever reason can't be done then that's cool.

However there are some of those here who might like to give it a shot.

As to the factotum build. Could you level it out so we can see how you would do it?
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:46 AM »
I can not recall anyone on these forums every using the rules for firearms because from a character optimization stand-point they are terrible. In fact I can't recall any npc in any WOTC supplement using firearms, so when I make such claims they are grounded in some sort of basis. Just like laser rifles, D&D doesn't use firearms, they just don't. Perhaps your group uses firearms, awesome. Yay to go, but that isn't exactly the norm (from what I can gather from this community & others).

The reason nobody uses them is because they are not a part of the core setting and the vast majority of DMs don't play using the optional gun rules. The dmg also has rules for an antimatter rifle...

From an optimisation stand point they are better than crossbows, they do more damage and reload in the same time.

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 05:59:55 AM »
Deathstroke gets to win because, for some unknown reason, fans and authors are wanking to him. Given his power set, any fight between him and a JLA big gun should look something like the fight between Mr. X and Quicksilver (http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1880807.html?#cutid1).

Since he wins by author fiat, let's just give him something approximating author fiat: Divine Ranks.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »

The reason nobody uses them is because they are not a part of the core setting and the vast majority of DMs don't play using the optional gun rules. The dmg also has rules for an antimatter rifle...

From an optimisation stand point they are better than crossbows, they do more damage and reload in the same time.

Except that there is more supplemental support for crossbows than firearms right? I mean crossbows have feats designed for them, feats like Hand Crossbow Focus. Oh wow, I just improved crossbows far past firearms... How crazy and I haven't even started on additional feats or weapon/ammo enchantments.

Man, firearms sure are great guys... They are so great no one uses them in WOTC supplements and they are never pretty much never mentioned in character optimization communities. That sounds like a booming recommendation...

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »

Except that there is more supplemental support for crossbows than firearms right? I mean crossbows have feats designed for them, feats like Hand Crossbow Focus. Oh wow, I just improved crossbows far past firearms... How crazy and I haven't even started on additional feats or weapon/ammo enchantments.

Man, firearms sure are great guys... They are so great no one uses them in WOTC supplements and they are never pretty much never mentioned in character optimization communities. That sounds like a booming recommendation...

There are about 2 feats solely for crossbows. One is Hand Crossbow focus and the other is crossbow sniper. There is also a great lack of specific enchantments for crossbows out there because the wizards writers were having a love affair with composite bows.

They are not mentioned in WotC supplements or in optimisation because they are not a part of the setting. The rules are there but they are specifically for use in campaigns featuring higher than normal technological advancement (and are located in the building a different world section).

Its like saying that crossbows are better than the antimatter rifle because they get more attention. They are not, its hard to argue with 2 shots at 6d8 damage a round compared with the 1d8 or 1d10 you get from a crossbow.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
Underlining, bolding AND italicizing is now an appropriate argument?  This forum has gone to the dogs.  "No one ever uses" these rules you say?  Well I know my group does, so again you're wrong.  I would like to see where you get your statistics from because you seem to be intimating you know what rules all D&D groups use.
My group uses those rules, as well.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
My group uses those rules, as well.

I am currently running a PbP game that has a lot of firearms in it, they make a refreshing twist to the genre. The additional guns from Dragon magazine are really quire nice.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
So how would you create this guy in a D&D world? Stats, classes, templates if any?

The ultimate chessmaster when it comes to fighting. He's 12 steps ahead of the others in anticipating their moves and actions.
He is augmented. He's stronger, smarter, faster than a normal human. He also has special healing that regenerates him (except his eye).
He isn't limited to just weapons, he can go hand to hand.

No magic use or psionics.
Well thats kinda the problem... Hmm... he really seems like the F&KTome fighter, if I've ever seen someone with foil, its him.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
Gestalt Factotum 20/Warblade 20 with Silithar grafts, knowledge devotion, and the organizational capstone that denies abilities based on knowledge checks.  Also, unreasonably high pointbuy.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
Hazren, have you considered trying to utilize the Monster of Legend template in MM2? If you can get a Monstrous Humanoid as a base (so maybe something like a Goliath?) you can pick up some strong stuff (although the template does seem made for npcs.

Some perks you can get are:
* +5 natural armor bonus
* Frightful Presence
* Continuous Haste
* Fast Healing 5
* +3 to Fort, Reflex and Will
* Str +10, Dex +6, Con +10, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4

Eh?