Author Topic: [3.5] Support Build - Suggestions?  (Read 1711 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
[3.5] Support Build - Suggestions?
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
So, I'm putting together a character for a PbP. The game is gestalt, starting at level 1 and going till we run out of shit to do. I'm trying to play something new, so I'm thinking of a support build. One side of my character is going to be a worldthought medic, and that's pretty much set in stone. It meshes well with the concept of the character experiencing a sudden awakening to the interconnection of life, and gaining the ability to sense and manipulate its flow.

Because I also want the character to have a martial bent prior to this awakening, I'm planning on starting with a paladin, whose supernatural powers derive from that same awakening (which is going to happen before play begins anyway). I wanted a class that could benefit from a high Wis and wasn't a gorramn monk, and this works out with the Serenity feat. The problem? The Paladin class sucks a giant pile of ass after level 6 (I want to get 1 use of remove disease so I can swap it out for other class features that aren't completely fucking terrible). I'm planning to take Knight of the Raven, because I do want to progress Paladin spellcasting (Battle Blessing makes it shiny enough to be worth something), but that still leaves me with 4 levels to fill with something worthwhile, and I'm having trouble finding anything. If 5 levels is necessary to get some ultra-shiny class feature, I can give up the remove disease thing.

So what I'm looking for here is a PrC that advances divine casting (1 lost level is acceptable, that's about it since paladin casting is already so bad), can be qualified for by the paladin described, and which has some class features that can contribute to a support build. BAB and saves are close to irrelevant, because over 4 levels I won't lose more than 1 point (and worldthought medic locks me into at least medium BAB), but a higher hit die than a d6 would be nice (not necessary). A minimum feat investment is also ideal, just on principle, but by the time I get this far in the character build I shouldn't be feat starved.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:37:52 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: [3.5] Support Build - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
Fist of Raziel?

Or even better, Hospitaler.  You lose 1 level of casting in 4 levels, and get an extra remove disease.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
Hrm, FoR would work. I'd need to talk the DM into allowing BoED though, and I don't expect it to fly. Hospitaler would be terrible, though. I've traded away the mount, and so the feat prereqs cost me more than the bonus feat I'd gain (which is seriously the only thing the class has over more paladin levels; I'm almost convinced the whole thing is a joke PrC).

EDIT: Going with Soulguard, it works pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:35:21 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
Swordsage has the WIS focus and its supernatural maneuvers could be part of your awakening.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"