Author Topic: Help w/ Warrior Skald Build? (Need 1st 5 & Last 3 levels)  (Read 6126 times)

iconoplast

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Help w/ Warrior Skald Build? (Need 1st 5 & Last 3 levels)
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »
Books Allowed: Any 3.5 WotC (No Savage Species, No Dragon) I'm mixing FR (Warrior Skald) & Eberron (Song of the Heart), which is frowned on, but it doesn't seem like either ability is particularly setting-dependent.  I'd rather not mix pantheons or regional feats or stuff like that.
Optimization Level: 3 It looks like the Party is going to have: a Malconvoker/Ultimate Magus/Nar Demonbinder, an Unseen Seer, and an Ordained Champion Paladin+ Cleric.  Probably an ubercharging barbarian, as well.
Character Premise:Max out the malconvoker's summons with Inspire Courage.  I started with that, then refined the build until I didn't have any Bard levels left. Yay, not being a bard!
Build Stub so far: Warblade 1-5/Sorcerer 1/Warrior Skald 1/Warchanter 1-10/Warblade 6-8
Race: Any dragonblooded - currently Human (Multiclassing reasons - not necessary)
Alt. Class Features: Sorceror: Battle (UA) & Stalwart & Dragonblood substitution: Gain Weapon Focus, +2 Knowledge (Arcana), Draconic Heritage (Battle), Weapon Focus, Perform as Class Skill.
Reserved Feats: Lv. 9,12,15,18:Dragonfirse Inspiration (Sonic), Song of the White Raven, Words of Creation, Song of the Heart.

Warrior Skald 1 gives all bardic music.  Warchanter 3 lets allies exchange AC for Attack Bonuses (the better to power attack with), and Warchanter 10 lets all allies fight with the highest BAB among them.

Basically, levels 7-17 are spoken for.  I like Warrior Skald-> Warchanter.  I like the Inspire Courage-optimizing feats.  Outside of that, things are fair game. 

I don't know a better way to get Sonic Damage applied to dragonfire inspiration other than being a Sorcerer.  Besides, I like the idea of just casting Nerveskitter over and over.

I'm not sure about Crusader vs. Warblade (Or something else entirely and drop Song of the White Raven) for the 1st 5 levels, and I don't know what to do with the last 3 levels.  Also, I have 3 open feats for Human, 1 and 3.

I'd like to stay as close to full BAB as possible, and I'd like the build to be as playable as possible at low levels.  Maybe a Crusader w/ Lockdown abilities to protect the spellcasters?  I think the warblade's got a better recovery method for spamming certain abilities (White Raven Tactics).  Dunno.

Any ideas?

iconoplast

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Help w/ Warrior Skald Build? (Need 1st 5 & Last 3 levels)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Hah!  I have an idea - Lv 6: Leadership.  Ubercharger mount w/ draconic mount.  His *mount* should end up with a BAB > 20, which will be great for the Warchanter's Inspire Legion ability.

(I consider the above to be Optimization 4+ stuff - taking a cohort to get the advantage of the cohort's rediculous mount.  So, not for this build.  Maybe for a TO Warchanter Optimization build, though.)

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:27:26 AM »
I'm assuming FR is the setting you are playing, given the presense of Nar Demonbinder. And I know you are wanting Skald->Warchanter focused builds, but here are some alternatives.

If so, there's always: Paladin 19/Bard 1 with Devoted Performer and Initiate of Milil. 19 BAB

Paladin 17/Bard 1/Monk 2 with Ascetic Knight is also good for unarmed strike goodness. 18 BAB Go for Divine Might, Snowflake Wardance and Versatile Unarmed Strike.

Your mount is super buffed too or trade it in for charging smite and grab flying kick for +60+1d12 extra damage on charges.

For a progression:
Paladin 1-2/Bard 1 (Devoted Performer)/Paladin 3-4/Monk 1-2 (Ascetic Knight)/Paladin 5-17.

If you get creative and feel like a little more feat intensive build:
Paladin 12/Bard 4/Monk 2/Argent Fist 2 with Ascetic Mage, Knight Training, Devoted Performer and Initiate of Milil. Trade mount for Charging Smite, Flurry of Blows for Decisive Strike and grab Flying Kick. This is pushing the no mixing of pantheons really far though. Start off as a beatstick with a beatstick then retrain those stick friendly feats into fist friendly feats (Improved Natural Attack, et cetera). Create a special order of Milil called "The Fist of the Singing God" and be done with roleplay conflicts. >_>

Feats: From Smite to Song adds Perform to Paladin class skills.

Again, alternatives for what you're looking for and just something to consider.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »
You could always make the last three levels Cloistered Cleric 1/Knight vindicator2 for even more recovery.  Knight vindicator 1 gets you thicket of blades.   You'll have to spend feats to get in, but Foehammer + Martial Spirit isn't bad to have. 

Or Cloistered Cleric1/Ordained Champion1/Knight vindicator1 grabbing war domain with CC gets you into OC, and the feats from OC (Sack the domain granted powers for knowledge and your 1 other domain) get you into KV free.

May also want consider Aura of Perfect Order or Aura of Chaos. 

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
You could always make the last three levels Cloistered Cleric 1/Knight vindicator2 for even more recovery.  Knight vindicator 1 gets you thicket of blades.   You'll have to spend feats to get in, but Foehammer + Martial Spirit isn't bad to have. 

Or Cloistered Cleric1/Ordained Champion1/Knight vindicator1 grabbing war domain with CC gets you into OC, and the feats from OC (Sack the domain granted powers for knowledge and your 1 other domain) get you into KV free.

May also want consider Aura of Perfect Order or Aura of Chaos. 
I don't know why you wouldn't just start as a Crusader with Extra Granted Maneuver if you wanted to go that way, instead of spending feats for Martial Study.

iconoplast

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »
Maybe 1st 5 levels:
1 - Fighter (EWP) (Power Attack)
2 - Barbarian (Pounce, Favored Enemy)
3 - Wolf Totem Barbarian (Improved Trip) (Cleave)
4 - Crusader 1
5 - Crusader 2
6 - Sorcerer 1 (Combat Reflexes)

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Maybe 1st 5 levels:
1 - Fighter (EWP) (Power Attack)
2 - Barbarian (Pounce, Favored Enemy)
3 - Wolf Totem Barbarian (Improved Trip) (Cleave)
4 - Crusader 1
5 - Crusader 2
6 - Sorcerer 1 (Combat Reflexes)

Why go with EWP at all?  Guisarme works well.  Also, the use of Lion Totem Barbarian (CC) for Pounce and Wolf Totem Barbarian (UA) for Improved Trip smells a little of cheese.

iconoplast

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »
Why go with EWP at all?  Guisarme works well.  Also, the use of Lion Totem Barbarian (CC) for Pounce and Wolf Totem Barbarian (UA) for Improved Trip smells a little of cheese.

I know, I know, it's just... well, Pounce.  So hard to give up. 

The EWP thing's a really good point: if the build uses a Guisarme, then I can use Goliath for the race, so:
1. Goliath (Power Attack)
2. Goliath Barbarian
3. Wolf Totem Barbarian (Improved Trip) (FEAT)
6. FEAT

Where FEATs are any 2 of (Combat Reflexes (Useful but MAD), Cleave (Useful), Extra Rage)