Author Topic: Flipping out - Gestalt Rage/Fear/Trip/Dungeoncrashing  (Read 2340 times)

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
Flipping out - Gestalt Rage/Fear/Trip/Dungeoncrashing
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
Howdy.

I'm building a backup for my current gestalt game. 6th level, with odd gestalt rules: Take the worse of the BAB and HD, take the saves of only one side, get all class skills of both sides and better of skill points.

Current build looks like Ranger 3 (Strongarm variant (Dr326) and Spiritual Connection (CC)) / Barbarian 2 (Bear Spirit Totem (CC) and Wolf Totem (UA)) / Berserk 1* (PrC from Deities and Demigods) // Fighter 6 (Dungeoncrasher (DS) Exoticist (Dr310) Zhentarim (CV web) Hit and Run (DrU))

Stats are unreasonably good from rolls: 18, 16, 18, 15, 15, 16.

Feats (with 2 flaws) are:
(Flaw) Intimidating Rage
(Flaw) Shocktrooper
(Human) Jotunbrud
L1 Imp. Bullrush
F1 Cleave
L3 Steadfast Determination
F4 Knockback
L6 Imperious Command

Bonus feats from flaws are allowed to be taken at any point, thus allowing Shocktrooper and Intimidating Rage to fit in there. I don't see a way to fit in Destructive Rage (the other Frenzied Berserker prereq). Any ideas? For instance, an item or ability that nets cleave or imp. bullrush would be great.

So, essentially my question is: am I spreading myself to thin? Fear, flipping out and dungeoncrashing are all rather feat intensive. Should I drop one in order to excel at the other two, and maybe open up some room for non-combat utility?

Also, am I missing anything vital for any of these styles?

I'm using the EWP from Exoticist to get a Mercurial Dwarven Warpike of Huge size (size category increase via a EWP inferred from the Fullblade (A&E)) for 4d6 (20x5). Also going for a Greatbow since I have extra EWPs. I have one left, any suggestions?

* Berserk is 3/4 BAB, d12, good fort, 2+int, with the notable ability Battle Fury (Ex): Standard Action, +6 Str, +6 Con, +3 Will, - 2 AC, similar to rage except can't use ranged weapons, can't end voluntarily, must make a DC 15+ rounds already spent in fury Will save to avoid attacking friendlies if no enemy is available (instead attacks rocks, trees, walls, what-have-you).

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Flipping out - Gestalt Rage/Fear/Trip/Dungeoncrashing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
If you really want to fit in Destructive Rage then try a couple levels in Overwhelming Attack Monk. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#overwhelmingAttack  You get Power Attack and Improved Bullrush for free, and a bonus to Intimidate!

Since you're already using Dragon material, there's also Martial Monk for any Fighter feat you want in place of Monk bonus feats.

If you're concerned over the whole Lawful bit, don't be.  You still retain all your Monk abilities even if you multiclass out and/or become lawful.  I don't see anything mechanical that would stop you from having two of your first three levels as Monk, then switch over to Barbarian.

If you have extra EWP's use one on a Kaorti Resin weapon, preferably one with a natural 18-20 crit on it of course which can be upped to 15-20 with Keen enhancement, and if you really want to go to town get Favored Critical from Masters of the Wild later on to get 12-20 against a certain FE.

Why are you going Bear Totem, by the way?  Lion Totem would give you the Pounce option which seems much better for a Shock Trooper build.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
Bear totem is for flavor, and because Lion Totem has been done to death at our table. I'm more interested in the Directed Bull Rush and Domino Rush than the Heedless charge. While flipping out, I'll already have a -8 to AC... I don't see any reason to drop that lower in most circumstances.

The reason I chose ranger over Monk (although I forgot about the intimidate bonus on Overwhelming attack; good catch) is for full BAB and Endurance, a prereq for Steadfast Determination. So Monk wouldn't actually gain me anything but a +2 Intimidate and +2 will save, at the cost of another BAB, thus delaying Frenzied Berserker another level.

Kaorti resin is a good idea. Not sure if I'll be able to get it past the DM, but what the hell, it's worth a try.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
...While flipping out, I'll already have a -8 to AC... I don't see any reason to drop that lower in most circumstances...

I'm not sure you're thinking about that in the right way. Think about it like this, "While flipping out, chances are they're going to hit me anyway, as I'm at -8. Why not drop it lower?"

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
I suppose you're right. It's not like I have caster-like resources for other ways of avoiding getting hit, though. Any ideas on how to absorb the punishment or avoid getting hit? Maybe a custom 1/day command activated item of mirror image or something like that...

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47:23 AM »
I suppose you're right. It's not like I have caster-like resources for other ways of avoiding getting hit, though. Any ideas on how to absorb the punishment or avoid getting hit? Maybe a custom 1/day command activated item of mirror image or something like that...
Yeah, your best bet is getting miss chances so your AC doesn't matter as much.

A level 1 shadow hand stance gives you 20% miss chance if you move. That's a 1 level swordsage dip or two fighter feats.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
Grab a weapon with Wrathful Healing?, and grab Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit?  I realize that won't stop them from hitting you, but at least you get something out of it.

Edit: Pretty feat starved already...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:15:29 PM by emaNsdrawkcaB »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
I was about to suggest using Martial Monk to select Driving Attack as I did in another thread... but then realized that Driving Attack is... odd, and I'm not sure it works the way I think it works anymore.  Heck, I'm actually rather confident that it doesn't work the way the Designers thought it was supposed to work when they wrote the stupid thing...