Author Topic: I split the party...help me fix it?  (Read 3111 times)

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I split the party...help me fix it?
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
Scenario: the party is level 10/11, and comprises: Lvl 11 Druid, Lvl 10 Ranger/Scout, Lvl 10 Barbarian/Rogue, Lvl 10 Evoker/Fighter/Bladesinger (useless), and my Lvl 10 Cleric/RSoP.  While in a Drow city, it became necessary for the Barb/rogue, the Bladesinger, and the Cleric to QUICKLY be elsewhere.

So, the Cleric cast Plane Shift, and we went to Elysium.  Yay!  Not just safety, but it's also where Pelor chills.

Of course, the Druid and the Ranger are still down in the Drow city.  Summoning a friendly Hound Archon at least let me notify them of where we went, but getting the party back together is proving difficult for me to figure out.   We plane shifted back, and with some pretty good accuracy - we're only 50 miles off of the Dwarf city where we entered the Underdark (as I declined to aim for a point IN the underdark, with a spell that scatters you 5-500 MILES off target).  The arcane caster is completely useless - he has zero spells for transport/travel/summoning/messaging/anything but inflicting HP damage.

So, resources: one lvl 10 Cleric spell list, one lvl 11 Druid spell list.

Problem: how do we reunite a party that's probably about 120 miles apart, with 40% of it currently in the (VERY DANGEROUS) Underdark?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: I split the party...help me fix it?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »
Does the Rogue have UMD?  If so, sell the Bladesinger into slavery and buy a scroll of Teleportation.

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
Does the Rogue have UMD?  If so, sell the Bladesinger into slavery and buy a scroll of Teleportation.
Thought about that, but no - not enough ranks to be useful.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »

Thanks X-Codes, that was too funny.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AriasDerros

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
is some method of transport via plants viable for the druid to do?

If he has at least one qualls feather token of the tree, then you could get one in the dwarf city and bamf, there the foresters are.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:29:42 PM by AriasDerros »

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
There's a 6th level spell Stormwalk (Stormwrack, p122) that let's the druid teleport if there's a storm in the area.  While I doubt storms happen naturally in the Underdark, there's probably a druid spell that creates one.  I believe an air elemental's Whirlwind counts as a storm as far as the spell Call Lightning goes, so it's up the DM if it qualifies for Stormwalk.

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
is some method of transport via plants viable for the druid to do?

If he has at least one qualls feather token of the tree, then you could get one in the dwarf city and bamf, there the foresters are.
Ah, I like that one; I wasn't sure how we were going to get the same kind of plant in the two areas, but summoning/creating a tree of appropriate type seems like a good solution.  Thanks!

AriasDerros

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
It's just too bad he doesn't have 7th level casting yet, as control weather could power a storm for stormwalk, or he could call a djinn with SNA7 to major create some of the living wood out of ebberon.

The main problem right now is conjuring something that counts as "alive" for the spell to walk through, and the only way I can think of is the tokens.

Honestly, if you can have the air elemental's whirlwind count as a storm, kitep's idea is best. (large air elemental is SNA5 IIRC)

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Honestly, if you can have the air elemental's whirlwind count as a storm, kitep's idea is best. (large air elemental is SNA5 IIRC)
You do recall correctly, but "Stormwrack" isn't one of our usual books - we're pretty much PHB I/II, Complete *, and Spell Compendium.

Is there a druid spell for "Summon Spell Component"?  I'm certain they have a spell that requires an acorn as a component; summon an acorn, plant it, Plant Growth it, and walk out of the Underdark.

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
Even if he doesn't allow the elemental's whirlwind to count, Control Winds can make a wind storm that should.  

edit: if it must be by plants, then possibly Vine Mine from Spell Compendium?  Depend on if there's vines around the dwarf city, I suppose, but the druid should be able to manipulate his vines to make them medium, and only the entry point has a size requirement.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:53:07 PM by Mooncrow »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »
Substitute domain + travel domain can give teleport to the cleric.
Wind Walk can be brought on a scroll
Lesser Planar Ally for a bunch of Nightmares to serve you? They can get down there fast with etherealness and their speed. And until you get down there you can be astral projected there by the nightmares so you can help people down there until you arrive.
But 2x Quaals feather token and transport via plants is probably the best idea.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
I can hardly imagine the chaos and destruction that a storm in the narrow tunnels of the underdark will cause. The plus side is that you will have an instant distraction when you teleport in to get your buddies, but meanwhile you run the risk of killing or injuring your mates, the dwarves, and the drow (bu-hu...).

Have a plan to avoid civilian casualties if you are of good alignment.

Mooncrow

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »
I can hardly imagine the chaos and destruction that a storm in the narrow tunnels of the underdark will cause. The plus side is that you will have an instant distraction when you teleport in to get your buddies, but meanwhile you run the risk of killing or injuring your mates, the dwarves, and the drow (bu-hu...).

Control Wind has a pretty small area of effect, and the caster can shape it to have an eye in the center so the party should be fine.

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
I can hardly imagine the chaos and destruction that a storm in the narrow tunnels of the underdark will cause.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Why? That's more XP for the party.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]