Author Topic: Emulating Maneuvers  (Read 1545 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Emulating Maneuvers
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
So I got to thinking...all the cool kids these days like to gish with ToB, right?  Well...what spells and powers emulate the effects of ToB maneuvers?  Desert Wind is pretty well covered by like 400 different blast spells, and the few that aren't are subsumed by Haste and friends like it.  Devoted Spirit might take a couple feats to add healing effects to spells cast, a la the War Weaver trick for Favored Souls.  Iron Heart and Diamond Mind...not so sure, though Anticipatory Strike/Celerity line can emulate Time Stands Still.  How about the specific maneuvers?  Or spells akin to them?  The ranger spell list has Arrow Swarm and another that emulates Whirlwind Attack, and the ability to emulate sneak attack.  Mirror Move can pick up enough feats to get most of the feat chain goodies, too.  I guess this ramble is more a brainstorm of ideas and spells/powers that produce effects akin to maneuvers, so any input on it is welcome.  Still on the first pot of coffee, so bear with me :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Emulating Maneuvers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
PF has a particularly bad example.

And as I wait for it to load, I can't help but think this is going to be a bad rendition of the Diablo II Druid's "Firestorm" spell...but at least as I read it, the AoE isn't too bad.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »

Limited Wish and the similars "ought" to be able to emulate.

This assumes level 4 maneuvers = level 4 spells or powers ...  :D