Author Topic: Green Star Adept as a comet  (Read 9863 times)

johnnya4344

• Monkey bussiness
Green Star Adept as a comet
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:11:16 AM »
So, the green star adept class has always been a fancy of mine, and I had this great idea.  He's a construct.  He can go into space.  He can magically fly.  So he can reenter the atmosphere and be a human sized meteor to whatever he wants to land on, given enough magical buffs (and explosive runes triggered on contact).  So I am currently working on a grapplemancer/meteor gestalt guy who does this.  So far, its looking like i gonna be half dragon (house rule is all half dragons have wings), but I'm not really sure where to go aside from getting the prereqs for GSA and finding ways to break terminal velocity (we are allowed to research spells).  Any thoughts?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Green Star Adept as a comet
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:41:13 AM »
Break terminal velocity? High CL + sudden widened explosive locate city bomb.

For yourself? Persistent Footsteps of the divine

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

Errata says no.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

johnnya4344

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:23:09 AM »
So, here are the calculations I did:

Terminal velocity: 210 mph in bullet position

Assuming 8x mass increase from GSA transformation: 594 mph =871 ft/second = 266 m/s

Average Ph for human after 10 ft fall (90 kg)(9.8 m/s) = 882 kgm/s = 1d6 damage (Momentum increases linearly under constant acceleration, so damage should too)

Pg for GSA at terminal V = 191,520 kgm/s

Damage = Pg/Ph = 191,520 / 882 = 217d6  Ignoring Hardness less than 20

Homebrew rule on meteoring through objects: roll 1d6 and add until object is broken.  That #d6 is taken from the total and you keep moving until you run out of damage to assign. (can blow through multiple walls/objects this way, as is physically possible)

If have explosive effect, that damage is used first.  However, it does NOT carry over to the next object. Unless you explode again.

So, the GSA will do 8d6 damage for each 10 ft fallen to a max of 217d6 at terminal P.  Then contingent explosive stuff can add to damage.

Damage to itself: 1d6/10 ft, to max 20d6, or 1d6 for each 8d6 dealt.  With DR 10/Adamantine and the ignore hardness effect, this makes bashing through multiple walls do almost no damage, as each wall/object is treated as its own instance (each delivers a small impulse, not one massive one).

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:03:45 AM »

Errata says no.

That's good

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:07:42 AM »
Murder by suicide! I can't WAIT to see this build!

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 02:12:40 AM »
Iron body multiplies weight by 10.  That'd be my guess for green star adept as well.  What's the reasoning behind 8? 

There are actual rules

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »
Iron body multiplies weight by 10.  That'd be my guess for green star adept as well.  What's the reasoning behind 8? 

There are actual rules
...Off topic, but now I just want to build a Large (quadrupedal would be nice) character that carries a lot of junk and hops on people. Thank you.

johnnya4344

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

There are actual rules

Yes, but the rules for falling objects say that the max damage is 20d6, period.  So, by that logic, I can only ever deal 20d6 damage to falling on stuff from at least 10 ft.  I used physics to extend this concept to include the scenario of intentionally using yourself as a kinetic weapon.  Falling assumes you're trying to slow your fall and/or not intentionally using yourself as a kinetic weapon.  Nor does it cover scenarios at terminal velocity, where having a maximum damage of 20d6 really isn't intuitive.  That says a human who fell 200 ft (P of 6,300 kgm/s, assuming a 90kg human) does the same damage as the GSA at terminal V (267,300 kgm/s). 

Bull rush doesn't cover scenarios when the bull rusher is moving at terminal velocity, and neither does sunder or other combat maneuvers. 

Also, falling is not an accurate way of describing the idea.  I would say its something more of, "character ballistics," which doesn't have a section in the rules, and where I decided physics would help.  Yes, It's closest to falling, but it's not.

I remember seeing 8x weight somewhere the last time I played (2+ years ago), but I can't find it and I like 10x better.

So, using the 10x,
terminal velocity in bullet position: 297 m/s
new P at terminal V: 267,300 kgm/s
new damage at terminal V: 303d6

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
Not quite true.  Falling damage to the faller is capped at 20d6.  Damage to anything that gets hit by the falling object (or person) is not capped.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »
Yes, but the rules for falling objects say that the max damage is 20d6, period.

The additional damage from additional distance increments is capped at 20d6.  The damage from weight is not capped.  So, my half-orc green star adept example could deal up to 41d6 damage by falling 210 feet or more. 

If you're figuring the character is hitting harder than in a normal fall, that should change the damage he takes too, not just the damage he deals. 

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:53 AM »
Fling Ally feat on self?

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
Wasn't there a "blubber jumper" character (or something like that) that made itself weigh as much as possible and then jumped on its foes? I think it was something like a Warforged with Admantine Body, max weight on the standard Warforged weight tables, and Deformity (obese) or something similar.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Wasn't there a "blubber jumper" character (or something like that) that made itself weigh as much as possible and then jumped on its foes? I think it was something like a Warforged with Admantine Body, max weight on the standard Warforged weight tables, and Deformity (obese) or something similar.
You mean Anvil?  Yeah, I remember him.  Either a Hexblade or a Duskblade from what I remember.  20d6 damage every round all day, no save, no attack roll, no SR.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
Not quite true.  Falling damage to the faller is capped at 20d6.  Damage to anything that gets hit by the falling object (or person) is not capped.
Rules Compendium put out some stealth errata (see page 52) capping all damage dealt at 20d6.

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »
Rules Compendium put out some stealth errata (see page 52) capping all damage dealt at 20d6.
Blah. Errata. Still, not bad for a low level character to do 20d6.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:19 PM »
Guess you just need to work Roof Jumper (Cityscape) into the build.  One of the benefits is that you can drop down from any height onto your opponent and deal +1d6/10ft of the drop after the first 10ft damage (no cap).

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:28 AM »
as silly as it may sound, a thrown or projected (ie, shot) object does not cap like a falling object does. there are rules for increased damage by weight  for such objects in the complete warrior, which (and i didn't search the rules compendium to make sure) were not updated anywhere, iirc.

so get a buddy to chuck you and you're good.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
Don't forget to pick up a Lyre of Building for the once per day Objects within range are immune to damage for 30 minutes. Strum the chord on the way down and then after impact dust yourself off and climb out of the hole. :)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
Don't forget to pick up a Lyre of Building for the once per day Objects within range are immune to damage for 30 minutes. Strum the chord on the way down and then after impact dust yourself off and climb out of the hole. :)
Sadly, you are a creature, not an object.

So build yourself a hamster ball :p

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]