Author Topic: Plotting to interfere in a gladiatorial arena fight. Help me think?  (Read 2487 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Hey folks,

So here's the situation: A friend of my two-PC-and-a-slave party, an NPC Dervish (well, he wields two scimitars and dances his foes to death), got himself convicted for an unknown offense in the Romelike nation we're in, but he's promised to tell me the story eventually. (I'm considering making him tell it now, though.)

He got a choice of ten years' prison, ten months' hard labor, and ten rounds in the arena. Damned human, ten months even was too long for him. So he's gone five rounds, done too well, and they're making his next fight be worth five rounds.

Sending him up against the arena champion, an unusually charismatic troll who has been undefeated for the five years since he became it, and that I watched kill another undefeated convict in 30 seconds when we first arrived. Dervish wasn't happy about his chances before I started interfering, and I've already reprimanded him for his arrogance and haste.

What I've done so far: Given him a pair of magic dice, after identifying them. You roll them, and they cast a random spell of the level you roll appropriate to the situation. How my DM's randomizing that, I'm not sure. If it's similar to how divine magic is granted it will probably be more helpful than if it's rolled on some kind of list. They've improved his mood considerably, but I still consider them a bit of a wild card and do not wish to count on them.

Unknown Factors: Why the dervish told us to sit where he did. Whatever it is, it wasn't enough for him to be sure he would survive; but I believe there will be a reason for it. For that reason, I didn't consider requesting to fight beside him.

Setting: Gunpowder is a fair part of the setting but not the arena so far as I have seen. Minor spellcasting is granted by homebrewed feats, and anything with much more casting than a factotum or monk isn't really available in class levels. (Even a swordsage would have to avoid supernatural maneuvers; my DM dislikes Tome of Battle but not in an absolutely prohibited sense. One can beg.) Forget magic crafting. Alchemy's where it's at. We don't really have time to make any of the homebrew alchemical concoctions that might approximate potions though. We've got one day.

What we've seen the troll do:
Troll is clad in metal bands that protect but do not interfere with his movement.
Man charges troll, troll grabs him just before charge is finished and lifts him over head.
Man slashes troll's wrist and manages to free himself, slashes troll up a bit.
Troll claws man, grabs with claw attack, secures hold.
Troll throws man 200' into the air.
Man falls; lands; dead.

Player Characters:
Myself, grey elf factotum 3/cloistered cleric 1/arcane stunt swashbuckler 1. My resources include the ability to prepare one 0th or 1st level spell on the Sorcerer / Wizard spell list one time per day, the ability to prepare 10 magic missiles per day, 50' move speed, and expeditious retreat 6/day as a swift action with duration 1 round. Feats that I haven't time to retrain are: Weapon Finesse, Faery Mysteries Initiate (keying my HP off Con), <Int-based Spellcasting>, Knowledge Devotion, Precise Shot, and 2xFont of Inspiration. +5 intelligence and some skill tricks that are probably not relevant.

Also a longbow and a magic pistol of unknown magic, in the style I favor, but I am pretty sure shooting from the crowd would be frowned upon. (Especially if I'd put a bet on the dervish. I could probably get impressive odds, but I would probably have less leeway in cheating for him.)

A bleu naga bard 5, who in exchange for her spellcasting got full BAB, d8 HD, and a good Fort save. She can Inspire like a mofo (Words of Creation) but I'm unsure whether she can sing very well over the noise of the crowd. Importantly for our preparations, she has accelerated alchemy crafting. She can actually get at least 20gp of alchemy done in a day. Taking 10 on a DC 15 check I can add 2gp to that; Aid Other might be more effective. I'll have to talk with her.

--

So ... questions are:

What combination of alchemical items worth a total of 22gp (what we have guaranteed) should we craft?
What spell should I prepare with my 0th or 1st level slot?
Any ideas for further strategies to aid my friend?

Alchemically, I'm considering things like 10gp dust eggshell grenades, 5sp powdered water, and I suppose 10gp bloodflower salve as being potentially useful.

Spell-wise, I could use Launch Item to more effectively throw an egg grenade from the crowd, try to visit with my dervish friend less than three hours before the fight and buff him with mage armor... (... He's been fighting shirtless.) ... or prepare Feather Fall and, erm, try to leap into the arena with my move speed + jump and tumble checks to catch him should he wind up falling 200' I suppose. I'd welcome any further spell ideas. Probably going to be around medium range from the fight.

Help me be decisive about what I want to do here! (If it's something I can do while betting on him all the better. I've got something of his worth 2000gp in case he dies on me anyway, so might as well put a few pounds on the man.)

Edit: My goblin slave is good with dice, but I don't actually think I can sneak him into the match.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:33:50 PM by Kajhera »

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Plotting to interfere in a gladiatorial arena fight. Help me think?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
He just has to survive 5 rounds against this troll? Couldn't he just move around it with superior speed while you guys sneak in a grease from the crowd?

If the troll is stupid and doesn't like fire, giving him some oil and a tindertwig might just prove him safe for that amount of time.

If this fails, a Silent Image of a Stone Wall around the troll gives at least 1 round.

Consider getting an Alphorn for the Bard and have him play it from far outside the Arena as to not annoy the other spectators, your gladiatorial friend would hear it and be considered an ally and be eligble for the bonus.

If all else fails, consider contacting the Troll off-pitch and ask him how much he wants to not kill your friend but just rough him up a bit. Surely a deal can be made. In this case a good diplomacy roll could be useful.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
He just has to survive 5 rounds against this troll? Couldn't he just move around it with superior speed while you guys sneak in a grease from the crowd?

If the troll is stupid and doesn't like fire, giving him some oil and a tindertwig might just prove him safe for that amount of time.

If this fails, a Silent Image of a Stone Wall around the troll gives at least 1 round.

Consider getting an Alphorn for the Bard and have him play it from far outside the Arena as to not annoy the other spectators, your gladiatorial friend would hear it and be considered an ally and be eligble for the bonus.

If all else fails, consider contacting the Troll off-pitch and ask him how much he wants to not kill your friend but just rough him up a bit. Surely a deal can be made. In this case a good diplomacy roll could be useful.
Rounds aren't actual rounds. Rounds are fights. This one counts as five fights.

Troll is smart. We'll pay a visit to the troll's house. My bard friend has good diplomacy, though she got arrested earlier and that might be a bit of an off mark on her record; I got the guy to drop the charges though, so hopefully not.

Dervish's speed is 40'. Troll's speed is unknown, but he is unusually agile. Arena floor is 30' down so I'd pretty much have to lean off the edge with the guys right under me to get a Grease spell in.

I do not know if an alphorn is available, naga apparently only has perform(sing), and we have a specific place in the crowd we need to be...

Silent Image is an interesting choice, any other potential uses for it?

Madwand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
Spend your gold on a few (competent!) mercenaries, visit the troll in his home, and KILL HIM WITH FIRE. They'll have to switch him out for someone else in the big fight. I'd suggest breaking his kneecaps if he didn't regenerate and healing magic isn't available.

Or arrange to poison the troll severely prior to the fight.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:50:04 PM by Madwand »

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Spend your gold on a few (competent!) mercenaries, visit the troll in his home, and KILL HIM WITH FIRE. They'll have to switch him out for someone else in the big fight. I'd suggest breaking his kneecaps if he didn't regenerate and healing magic isn't available.

Or arrange to poison the troll severely prior to the fight.

I'd rather fight the troll in the arena myself than go up against the legal system of this empire.

Madwand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
I'd rather fight the troll in the arena myself than go up against the legal system of this empire.

Any assassination has to be done quietly, so you aren't caught. This would be no exception. Assassins exist for a reason.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
You could change out the magic dice for normal dice and then bet a large sum of gold on the troll winning.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
You could change out the magic dice for normal dice and then bet a large sum of gold on the troll winning.

No one's going to bet against the troll.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

Any assassination has to be done quietly, so you aren't caught. This would be no exception. Assassins exist for a reason.

I'm far away from home and don't know the criminal element here...  :( Aside from the ones I brought.

And our bard is a CG softie. It'd all be on me. The person without Gather information or a Bluff check.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
Consider asking the troll to bet with you on the opposition then. Then he could fump the combat, and become a millionaire who leaves with you.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »
Consider asking the troll to bet with you on the opposition then. Then he could fump the combat, and become a millionaire who leaves with you.

This possibility entertains me, but I don't know if we could possibly earn enough gold to be worth his reputation, or if his alignment works with such tactics - I'll have to get a feel for it when we try and visit.

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
Did you considering buying several flasks of oil?

Just coat the darn troll in oil and set him ablaze.

And by what you described it sounds like the troll is a master of the Setting Sun Discipline.
Throwing someone 200 feet sounds a LOT like a higher version of mighty throw.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.