Author Topic: Build Point System: How Broken can we get?  (Read 2504 times)

Marflarius

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Build Point System: How Broken can we get?
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
Ok so this is actually a re post of something I posted on another set of forums that I am continuing here, being advised by Solo the Infamous Sorcelator that this would be hilarious and maybe somewhat theatrical to the wonderful browsers of this community! So without further adieu, here we are:

This thread is being created to pick up the discussion that originated in the Vow of Poverty thread without spamming it with unnecesarry non thread related information!

The current build point system is as follows:

Skills: 1 point per 4 skill points
Feats: 3 points for tier 1 (basic feats) 5 points for tier 2 (req's 2-3) and 7 points for tier 3 (req's 4+)
HD Upgrade:

2 points - d8
3 points - d10
4 points - d12
5 points - d20
5 points per +10 to HD over 20 (so from 1d20 to 1d20 + 1d10 would be 5 points)

These points DO stack so if we start at a base D6 HD per level, and want to upgrade to a d20, it would cost 14 points. Keeping in mind that this is NOT permanent and that if you wish to upgrade to a d20 again the next level, it will cost you an extra 14 points.

Class Abilities/Spell progression: 50 points

At each level also, the starting 'shell of a character' you're given basically the Rogue's class progression, you can spend 3 points at each level to increase your bab by +1, and at every stat bump you can spend an additional 10 points to get another +1 to a stat, also we're allowed races/templates that cost up to LA 2 and may spend 15 points per LA to remove it (so basically if you had an LA 2 you would start at level 3, instead of the base 5 we're creating the characters at, but if you spend 30 points, you can remove the LA but still retain the bonuses)

Also we may spend 3 points at each level to raise a specific save by +1 OR we can spend 5 points to raiseall the saves by +1

There is a difference when paying for the class abilities and spell progression for a character, for example, the 50 points spent towards spell progression will give you EACH spell under a spellcasters list of spells for every level that you are allowed up to (so you can spend 50 points, and get all spells in a Wizard spell list so long as you meet the required level)

We start with 150 points at level 1, and roll the character up to level 5, gaining 10 points per level, so essentially have 190 build points to spend, and we start off with 10k gold*

Also note that: Each racestill get their normal bonuses (Humans still retain the bonuses to skill points, the extra feat at level 1, etc.) and ifyou DO take flaws that grant bonus feats, you will be allowed to take any feat that you are qualified to take already. (No, unfortunately we can't take a flaw and get epic weapon focus at level 1)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Build Point System: How Broken can we get?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
You know, you should go Cleric/Druid and DMM Persist stuff.

Others will probably come up with very entertaining suggestions as well.

I believe summoning an infinite amount of chickens will be mentioned by the fourth post.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Marflarius

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
You know, you should go Cleric/Druid and DMM Persist stuff.

Others will probably come up with very entertaining suggestions as well.

I believe summoning an infinite amount of chickens will be mentioned by the fourth post.

+1

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:05:49 AM »
In conjunction with Solo's suggestion, how do flaws and traits play into this system?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »
In conjunction with Solo's suggestion, how do flaws and traits play into this system?
Gee, thanks for ruining it.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Marflarius

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 02:13:55 AM »
Flaws grant the regular bonuses they normally would, any bonus feats or the like that are normally granted by flaws or what have you are still gained, and I'm not too sure about the traits, maybe give an example?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:11:36 AM »
Gee, thanks for ruining it.
You can't have an infinite amount of chickens without flaws.

Well, I guess you can, but not without making it harder than it needs to be.

Flaws grant the regular bonuses they normally would, any bonus feats or the like that are normally granted by flaws or what have you are still gained, and I'm not too sure about the traits, maybe give an example?
So flaws bypass the point system entirely?

Marflarius

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
Yep.