Author Topic: Thread Necro-ing  (Read 6145 times)

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Thread Necro-ing
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
I use internet boards a fair amount, for all sorts of things - gaming and otherwise. Some boards seem to go crazy when you don't use the search function and create a brand new thread when an old one already exists, they'd rather you necro old threads and continue the line of thought. Other boards do the exact opposite, they go crazy when you necro an old thread for any reason, even if it totally and legitimately follows the line of thought of the original thread.

My own views are what does it matter as long as you are necro-ing a thread legitimately, i.e. not just dreading up old threads for nonsensical reasons but actually using the thread for its intended purpose(s). I am confused to why it is considered in bad taste to continue using an older thread, unless it is some sort of off topic spamming or the like. I mean why save older threads if you cannot use them again? Or if they are an issue for some reason why not just auto-lock the older threads for reference only.

So... two questions...

(1) In general is it "wrong" to thread necro, why or why not? Who says so? (I personally see nothing wrong with it and see it as good thing)

(2) Does BG have any official policy on thread necro-ing?

Peace,
Necro        
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:02:38 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Thread Necro-ing
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
i think bg policy is to mildly ridicule people who practice the dark art.

we generally have repetitive utility threads here, such as 'ask a simple question'. to cut down on thread count.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
Is that an actual policy or just the way the wind blows?

we generally have repetitive utility threads here, such as 'ask a simple question'. to cut down on thread count.
If the goal is to "cut down on thread count" then necro-ing is a good thing in that regard, no?

Peace,
Necro

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »

same thing
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »

same thing
Pretty much. It matters less if the necromancy has Content though. Contributing is the difference between carrying on the conversation and inflicting ridicule.

Necroing with a low content post is annoying, especially to people who compulsively read every post.

As for posting a new thread when a thread already exists, I figure if the predecessor isn't on the first two pages its probably fair game, as well as when theres significant differences going on..
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Also due to database speed issues when a thread hits 50 pages they want us to start a new version of it. So you can only necro so much before it becomes truly taboo.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
On the other hand threads that actually NEED necroing usually have difficulty hitting 10 pages, much less 50.

Other than the endless [X] vs [Y]
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
So basically it's mob-rule on this?  :poke

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »
This isn't an official statement or anything, I don't know if Meg has ever said anything about necro'ing. But if you want to keep people happy...

It comes down to context; some threads are more okay to necro than others. In general, homebrew threads are okay to necro while heated debates are not - bumping the former leaves people flattered, and the latter makes them angry. Don't necro a thread if a newer one on the same topic exists (if you want to comment on something there, link to the old thread in the new one). Don't necro a thread where everyone appears to be completely ignorant on a topic, there probably wasn't much information at the time. And don't post in any thread that's 50+ pages, the database doesn't like you making them bigger.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:18:52 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:13 AM »
Do feel free to necro any handbook or resource though. Like feel free to necro my Class Boosters thread, I love new stuff and I'm sure many of the other list style threads would appreciate the same, like Binko's Bargain Bin or the Weapon/Armor Enhancement thread.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
I remember when I first came on BG and found all sorts of topics that I inadvertently necro'd.  I think new people get to comment, again agreeing that if they have actual content and contributions then necro'ing is pretty harmless.