Author Topic: Starting point, party leader, and other such things  (Read 5540 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Starting point, party leader, and other such things
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 01:42:22 PM »
Mmh, let's see, Beguilers...

Mmh, maybe their natural habitat could be any area with a strong raw magical energy in the neighbourhood? (Major plot device +5 ;))

Seeing as these ancient natural sites contain large amounts of raw arcane energy they would be sought after by mages lusting for more power or wanting to learn more secrets of magic. Sometimes one of those Beguiler habitats just happens to be in the way of such a mage's research or harvesting of this energy. Also, the harvesting might destroy the delicate balance of the bio-mago-sphere/eco-magic-system thereby destroying the Beguiler's natural habitat.

This would also provide a nice hook for why Ling Ling took up his specific path of training and decided to join the Wich Hunters.

As for the team mascot thing, I'm cool with it. Just remember that Ling Ling is a full-fledged member of the team and an intelligent individual (heck, he's probably the smartest of the bunch :P). He understands that this routine is necessary in order for our team to be able to operate in cities and the like, but that doesn't mean he enjoys it. So don't push it and treat him like a pet or anything, treat him with the same respect as you treat the rest of your teammembers :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »
You know, I've been thinking about the whole Ling Ling as mascot thing...
Would anyone be willing to carry Ling Ling on his shoulder or something, say as an advanced familiar or something? That could work in social settings and cities and the like...
I could make my character female and carry Ling Ling around in a purse...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 03:14:25 PM »
Should we refer to you as Paris and to Ling Ling as Tinkerbell?  :eh
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
I've tweaked Nym to be a bit more socially skilled: he now has respectable scores for Diplomacy and Intimidate. 

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 01:29:41 AM »
Since nobody else has really voiced a strong preference one way or the other, I'll cast my vote for Tenacia.  I want someplace I can spend my pay--and where I'm not instantly going to be burned at the stake if I step outside and am not wearing my uniform.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 12:23:40 AM »
My vote for starting region is either Chessat, Nubania orTenacia (in that order). I'm assuming that all the nations (other than Keysackra) mistrust and/or hate magic, but have additional reasons for having witch hunters:
Chessat - political
Nubania - spiritual balance (magic is anathema to that)
Tenacia - profit
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
"Err...yes.  Tylunth.  Sit down, please."

"Yes, Witchfinder-General, what is it?"

"It's about your request for a management position.  It seems that some of your co-workers feel that you're not the easiest person to work with..."

"WHAT!?  Who says that?  On what basis!?"

"Well, there's your nickname..."The Oppressor."  And the sign in your office that says "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

"Oh, come on...lots of people have that sign."

"Well, yes, but you actually ACT on it."

;)
Hmm... been thinking bout this. In that case whats the difference between the "face" and the "Leader" because Tylunth has a unique set of social skill for diplomatic areas mostly Maxed out diplomacy with the bluff synergy bonus, but the ability to initmidate from the zhentarim soilder means once I succesfully intimidate someone  well... this.

"WHAT!?  Who says that?  On what basis!?"

"Well, there's your nickname..."The Oppressor."  And the sign in your office that says "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

"Oh, come on...lots of people have that sign."

"Well, yes, but you actually ACT on it."

"I see... well Witchfinder-General I understand your decision entirely...
  I remember when I first met you in fact that day I came to this unit. There was a man who allegedly came from Keysackra no one knows how he got into the city to this day though really.
 One minute he's eating quietly at an open air inn, down on Old Hobb road, next minute he'd turn himself into a multi-headed serpent-thing eating specifically the left arms and hind-quarters of every patron in the bar. Most of the people fled and kept running until one of our teams to arrived, even though there were children playing just outside"

"Yes Tylunth, but I don't see how thats ..."

"Of course you don't general, it was a few years ago I realize, but do you rember what you asked that day?"

"... I asked... what does it take to make the city safe enough for a mans family to get a bite to eat..." through a suddenly parched mouth.

Tylunth leaned back in his chair looking across the old cherrywood desk and in with a sly crocidile smile says:
But I told you even then that "A Harren'daen'kar should never sit down across a table from a man, until he's fully preapared himself that he's capable eating eating everyone in that room, should the lights go out, and the monsters come."

Rocking furhter back in his chair he then lazily cast his one-eyed gaze down the desk then slowly... longingly toward the silvered candlebra holders not yet lit awaiting dusk to become night.

Following his gaze the general stammers for a second. Wipes his brow.
  "I, *ahem* right, Err... uhm right, then...congratulations on your promotion Major, you'll recive documentation on the 'morrow and good luck in the field. Good day! quickly sliding the portfolio across the desk and motioning Tylunth to leave.
Witch-finder General Maydack moments after the door to his office shuts, reaches in his desk, retrieving a shot glass and copper flask. He goes to pour but finds his hands shaking slightly and spills some of the vintage courvoisier onto the old cherry wood desk.
He facepalms himself..."Damn, permanent field assignments for that guy!" and breathes a sigh of relief.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
Tenacia - profit

I'm all about Step 4.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »
Since nobody else has really voiced a strong preference one way or the other, I'll cast my vote for Tenacia.  I want someplace I can spend my pay--and where I'm not instantly going to be burned at the stake if I step outside and am not wearing my uniform.

Tenacia +1
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
I thought it was step three, SDK? Course, I don't see why it can't be both. And two and one and five and eight and six and... anyway, where was I?
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
I'm kidding about the above transacion btw. Surreal you're the leader.
I think I'm the "face".

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2008, 06:56:06 PM »
I thought it was step three, SDK? Course, I don't see why it can't be both. And two and one and five and eight and six and... anyway, where was I?

Step 3 for me is usually "???" or basically "do whatever"

Example:

Step 1: Play a Cleric
Step 2: Take DMM: Persist
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »
So uhmm.. when do we start?

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »
Sorry, had another LARP.

We should start asap, I'll type up some more things tommorow morning, and we should be able to start roleplaying tommorow evening.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »
I have a problem... I don't know how to use the dice roller...
Please help.