Author Topic: E6 - Character selection help  (Read 2279 times)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
E6 - Character selection help
« on: September 09, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
So we're starting a new e6 game on Sunday and I'm having trouble deciding on a character. It's a city based game with the party supposed to be a team of troubleshooters ala the A-Team, Leverage, Lie to Me, Burn Notice etc. So far we've got a Dragon Fire Adept Face, an Elf Rogue Sneak, and a Halfling Fighter Tough so my choices are pretty open.

Face - Hardy Stone - changeling rogue lawyer - works for the equivalent of the public defender's office. Going to go into Chameleon at 6 but other levels are fairly open.

Info Gathering - Maximus Crass - Urban Ranger (Wildshape to shapeshift variant build, lose combat mastery, animal companion, wildshape) with Favored Enemy (organization) City Watch - an ex watch detective sick of the corruption of the city who quit to become a PI. Gather info focus and eventually be able to shift into the predator/flying forms. Not sure if this starts at level 1 or if he has to wait until he would have gotten combat mastery.

Wildcard - Daniel Dimitri Lyon - CN Feyblood warlock - starting with 3 fey blood feats to get DR 3/Cold Iron out the gate with more coming from warlock class features and feats, focusing on summon swarm usage - a young wild at heart kid who's out to help his friends in whatever mischief they run into.

Out of these choices what would you choose? Do you see any problems with the builds? The one I'm the least sure about is the Ranger one as its doing a lot of class feature swapping but I think it still works.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: E6 - Character selection help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:50:22 AM »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
Skilled City Dweller/"Panther" Totem (CC Lion Totem Variant + UA Wolf Totem Variant + Whirling Frenzy Rage Variant) Barbarian 2/Crusader 4

Feat goals: Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt), Stone Power, Shock Trooper (Heedless Charge could work with Stone Power), Elusive Target, Steadfast Determination
Extra feats: Extra Granted Maneuver, Extra Rage, Martial Study for more good maneuvers.

The definitive bad cop and/or thug street king.  Actually not a terrible skill selection to choose from, either.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »
Definately an angle I hadn't considered. Was thinking more along the lines of a detective rather than a beat cop. :) Pun intended. I like it.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
Definately an angle I hadn't considered. Was thinking more along the lines of a detective rather than a beat cop. :) Pun intended. I like it.
Actually not impossible with this character.  Stat setup is something along the lines of Str > Con > Cha = Int > Wis so long as you hit the minimum 13 Dex for Elusive Target.  At each level you get 4+int skills and you get all of Diplomacy, Gather Information, Sense Motive, and Intimidate as class skills (although you don't get any of the Diplomacy synergies that I can tell).  Granted, I just took Intimidate and called it a day with my particular build.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:26 AM »
Well, the party and GM decided they wanted me to play the lawyer character. So I'll be doing that. I've got some leeway in the build and am currently trying to decide what to do with him for levels 2-5. Needs to keep Disguise up to 8, and add spellcraft in at some point but only needs to pay 1 point per cross class for it thanks to able learner. I'm thinking Swashbuckler or Marshall for the other levels. First to boost my own capabilities, and the second to boost the party's.

1 Changeling Rogue
6 Chameleon

So far we've run an intrigue based game. Half the party has been implicated as associating with a known terrorist and are on the run from the Legion, the town's standing army/law enforcement. My character has been chosen to represent the NPC also implicated as his defense. The Terrorist NPC was also caught, a female human, though I have not been involved with her trial as of yet. I'm going to see if I can make the fleeing party members witnesses for the defense, and have them turn evidence for the prosecution against the terrorist for immunity themselves. Depending on what we find out about the trials and evidence given of course. We may need to run a rescue instead if we find that the law is not operating on the level.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
Consider a single level of Incarnate. In E6, the skill bonus you get from a few soulmelds are noticeable.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Do you have any specific recommendations? It may be better just to take the feats to unlock the chakra and then bind the melds rather then taking the levels. Unfortunately my DM isn't familiar with Incarnum so is hesitant to allow them right away. I'd have to be able to explain exactly how it works for him.

Though two levels of Incarnate and Totemist could be fun before going into Chameleon. . . lots of chakras and binds open up that way.