Author Topic: Questions? Drops? Transfers?  (Read 1058 times)

Calchexxis

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Questions? Drops? Transfers?
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
 :lmao sory about the weird title, it's something an old professor of mine used to say after he finished a lecture.

Anyways I formed this subforum because I recognize that Rogue Trader has got some complicated rolling systems and tests you have to make, like how to repair a ship mid-combat, how to make jumps in and out of Warp and navigating therein, how to turn macrobattery attacks into salvo's, etc...

If you have a question then post it here, either myself, dna1, or einherjar will probably be able to answer. Honestly it'll most likely be einherjar since he's a rules-lawyer genius and has read front-to-back most of the books.

So questions go here, anything at all feel free to ask and we will answer as quickly as possible.
"Oh God, I could be bounded in a nutshell
and count myself king of infinite space
were it not that I have bad dreams..."

Hamlet, Act II

Calchexxis

• Email
Re: Questions? Drops? Transfers?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
Thought of something that might be useful here.

Basics of ship combat and the stuff you can do therein.

So ship combat takes place during what are called Strategic Turns, these are significantly longer than the usual 6-10 seconds of a normal combat round. This is because realistically speaking, ship combat would be fairly slow and ponderous, the massive ships maneuvering into positions to place the enemy within a firing solution while stay out of theirs. Since they are longer, more usually happens, for instance, instead of each ship doing something per round, each PC on board the ship may take an action.

Examples of shipboard actions

An Explorator might roll a Tech-Use to overcharge the engines without damaging them to give the thrusters a one-time boost in order to pull the ship out of the enemies targeting range while keeping them in position for your own attacks. Or run a focused Augury scan to gain information about what kind of systems the enemy ship possesses.

A Voidmaster might be at the helm and roll a Pilot (Space Craft) to Flank an enemy ship for a macrobattery barrage or a Hit and Run boarding maneuver. He might also be at the weapons station to roll the Ballistics test for shooting down an enemy ship.

A Master-At-Arms can perform the actual Hit and Run, commanding his troops as they cause havoc aboard an enemy vessel. Or alternatively repel an enemy boarding party.

A missionary can use his oratory skills, charm/deceive etc... to maintain crew morale under pressing conditions, oftentimes this action will be what keeps the crew from mutinying.

The Rogue Trader himself is the one who gives orders out, he decides who to target, where to move the ship, etc...

Keep in mind these are only examples, if you think of something mention it and if there is no listed skill test I may very well be able to think of something that would substitute effectively.

Hamlet, Act II

einherjar

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
Calchexxis, I had a question in regard to fate points. Your fate points are supposed to be restored every session, but since this is a play by post, we don't have sessions per say. I was wondering how you wanted to deal with this. To me it seems like we have two options: to set a given amount of time and recover our fate points whenever that time swings around - e.g., we recover our fate points every other Monday, or the first of each month, etc. - or you as GM could choose when to give us our fate points back. Personally, I think that setting a time period would be a better approximation of the points per session mechanic, but you are the GM, so the choice is yours.
Till we meet again in Valhalla...

Calchexxis

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
I could do the monthly thing but I've been giving this a lot of thought since we started this game and the issue with it is that when the day of the week or month was approaching anyone could just blow their fate points and get them back. It might also encourage people to delay their responses to time the fate point expenditure to when they would get them back.

So instead you'll each regenerate one fate point a week on Monday. Just the one. Of course you can still earn fate points back by doing awesome stuff and surviving or for rare bits of very good roleplay. This means that you can still spend FP and get it back but it'll take awhile without just being able to expect a massive FP dump once in a blue moon or once every week.

Hamlet, Act II