Author Topic: Half Elf "Switch hittter" Ranger help  (Read 6683 times)

illy-d

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Half Elf "Switch hittter" Ranger help
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
So I just joined a new game mid-stride.  They've just levelled up to 3rd and I've joined at the same level.  It's my 2nd Pathfinder game and I am barely proficient with the changes from 3.5, let alone with the basics of Min/Maxing.

I do however like to try and Optimize and plan out my character progression so I know what I'm working towards in terms of Feats, Ability score improvements etc.  So once I had an idea to play a Half-Elven Shoanti Ranger I Googled "Pathfinder Ranger Handbook" and it put me onto this website and Treantmonk's Ranger Handbook.

After reading the handbook it became clear that I would be styling my character as a "Switch Hitter".  I verified the starting build requirements for the Campaign and came up with the following using the following;

25 Point Buy; STR 18 (16 +2 Racial), DEX 16, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 7
Feats:1st: Power Attack, Ranger bonus: Track, Ranger Bonus (Combat Style: Archery): Rapid Shot, 2nd: Quickdraw (not 100% convinced this is required as  you can draw as a free action as part of a move).
Skill Ranks: 6 + 1 = 7 x 3 = 21. (I took the hit point at each level rather than the skill point)
Climb 1, Craft (Bows) 3, Handle Animal 3, Knowledge Nature 3, Perception 3, Ride 1, Stealth 3, Survival 3, Swim 1.
Alternate Racial Feature from APG: Ancenstral Arms (Elven Curve blade)
Traits:

illy-d

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Half Elf "Switch hittter" Ranger help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Oh, I forgot about starting gold & equipment.  I used the standard gold for a 3rd level character (3,000gp) and purchased the following;
- MW Elven Curveblade 380gp
- MW Mithral Chain shirt 1100gp
- MW Comp. Longbow (18 STR) 800gp

Not sure what the availability of Magic items is going to be like in this campaign (I'm new to this group/GM) so I don't want to rely on them for my characters progression.   

On a semi-related note has anybody built a variant on the switch hitter that uses the 2 handed weapons and the 2 weapon fighting combat style?  I ask because I did a similar build in 3.5 using a bastard sword (eventually using 2 bastard swords with Oversized two-weapon fighting).  Admittedly I would use the sword 2 handed almost exclusively at lower levels but once I got some Dervish PrC levels the 2 weapons was quite fun.  Don't know if this is worthwhile in Pathfinder as it was the full attack + full move offered by the Dervish that made it useful at times.

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Can you use any books outside of core Pathfinder?  Ultimate Combat and APG largely make switch hitter unnecessary.

illy-d

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »
I can use APG - but I don't have it yet.  The GM has had his paizo subscription from day one so I imagine I can use anything they've published that he has.
I'll try and learn more about this Ultimate Combat, but if you had the time and interest to expand on your ideas for me I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

D

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:27:05 AM »
I'm guessing 3.5 stuff isn't really on the table?

Does PA work with archery in PF? 

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
The main things of interest are:

APG: The Point Blank Master feat, to not provoke AoOs while shooting a bow.

UC: The Clustered Shots feat, to laugh at foes damage reduction.

Both are online on www.d20pfsrd.com

I'm guessing 3.5 stuff isn't really on the table?

Does PA work with archery in PF? 

There's a feat in PF called Deadly Aim that's basically ranged power attack.