Author Topic: Ramifications of Gauntlets as Shields  (Read 2122 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Ramifications of Gauntlets as Shields
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »
This is in reference to the Augmentations system that I am working on.

In the Weapons thread, it was brought up that Gauntlets should be a bit more powerful. I've been trying to think about how to do this, but each time I do, I keep wanting to restat them as shields.

Obviously this brings up a few problems, namely:

• Proficiency issues. Its entirely possible to be proficient with armor, but not with the gauntlets they come with if I do this.
  • Class features that don't work with Shields.
  • Augments. I intend to give Shields access to multiple types of augments (Armor/Weapon/Shield), since they can serve as all three.

There are a few ways for me to go about this:

Separate section for Gauntlets (DO NOT WANT)
Leave them as weapons and give them the Defending property (not exactly helpful, but it works)
Include them in Shields with special rules, and remove them from the armor section entirely (a bit of rewriting involved, but nothing much)

But I wanted to get some opinions before I do anything with this. What do you guys suggest? Is this a decent idea, or should I look into alternative solutions?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Ramifications of Gauntlets as Shields
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
I'd say make them something like dastana(?) - grant a +1 armor bonus to AC which stacks with your armour's, as well as an ASF chance which also stacks with your armour's. There should be a reason not to use gauntlets too.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
I'd say make them something like dastana(?) - grant a +1 armor bonus to AC which stacks with your armour's, as well as an ASF chance which also stacks with your armour's. There should be a reason not to use gauntlets too.

Well, the problem is because they're also weapons.

I planned on putting Dastanas in the Armor Modifications all ready (although they actually modify gauntlets, not the armor), but I've gotten feedback that I've only made unarmed combat worse by comparison. In order to rectify that problem, I'd like Gauntlets to be something more than a bonus to AC.

PS: I've removed ASF entirely. I've replaced it with a CL penalty to both Arcane and Divine spells. Because CoDzilla needed a nerf too (there's ways around it, but the Big 6 lose out on CL if they wear certain type of armor).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
Well, the problem is because they're also weapons.
PS: I've removed ASF entirely. I've replaced it with a CL penalty to both Arcane and Divine spells. Because CoDzilla needed a nerf too (there's ways around it, but the Big 6 lose out on CL if they wear certain type of armor).

Hoorah for psionics!

Otherwise, psywars would suck.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Hoorah for psionics!

I'd give them the equivalent of Armored Mage, so as to not nerf them. As it stands, Clerics and Druids have AM for up to Medium, but not shields, Paladins have it for anything they are proficient with, and Rangers have it for Light armor and all shields.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
Hoorah for psionics!

I'd give them the equivalent of Armored Mage, so as to not nerf them.
Anything they're proficient in? Or just period?

Really, it doesn't hurt anything to ignore armor altogether. It already penalizes you for non-proficiency, and anyone proficient in armor should have the training to cast in it already.

All it does is require a few (easy) ways using workarounds dealing with the penalties.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
Anything they're proficient in? Or just period?

Really, it doesn't hurt anything to ignore armor altogether. It already penalizes you for non-proficiency, and anyone proficient in armor should have the training to cast in it already.

All it does is require a few (easy) ways using workarounds dealing with the penalties.

Probably Paladin style. And do note that some options for reducing those penalties are getting complete reworks (Mithral, for example, won't be a de-facto answer for CLP).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
You want gauntlets to be something besides a bonus to AC, but that is the system that D&D uses for armor! Unfortunately, what makes sense for a gauntlet to be some sort of parrying tool, as they so often were, is to give a small deflection, shield, or armor bonus to AC that doesn't stack as long as it isn't used as a weapon in that round. It is functionally exactly like a shield, but is instead a weapon. I'd say that there should be few ways to increase the AC bonus.

Alternatively, you could go a little more realistic: If you do not attack with the gauntlet on your turn, you can use the gauntlet as a a countermeasure using an attack of opportunity. When someone attacks you, you can expend an AoO to make an attack roll with the gauntlet, +1. If your attack roll is higher than the opponent's, you take half damage. Obviously, you can only expend one AoO per incoming attack.

Of course, that is how I think that all shields should work, with bucklers giving a +1, light shields giving a +2, heavy shields giving a +4, and tower sields giving a +6, with the added caveat that a tower shield converts the half damage taken to nonlethal (or you could say all shields do this, but the tower shield negates ALL dmamage on success). The present system for shields sucks slimy crack balls compared to reality.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »
The goal of the fix isn't to be realistic, it's to turn Shields into a useful piece of equipment that provides protection from attacks or can be used as a weapon.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
Personally I think Gauntlets should just directly enhance unarmed attacks, their strength is in the same versatility using a fully articulated limb has for attacking, that is, grabbing, blocking, throwing, etc. Just let them up the power of unarmed attacks.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."