Author Topic: Critique and Help?  (Read 1724 times)

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Critique and Help?
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »
Hey folks. So I am trying to build something wonky and fun. Here is what I came up with. Stats were rolled, so I can't really change them. I was given the option to take any race/template with LA+1 without having to take the LA, Half Minotaur seemed to be the best option for what I wanted.

Basically, I am making Captain America. The DM has agreed to refluff the 1/2Min as the result of an arcane procedure. The campaign is set in Eberron. I figure that currently, I have +18 to hit (Str, BAB, Weapon Enhance). With my aptitude shield, I can Chakram Ricochet ala Cap, and daze people via the Boomerang Daze. My DM has also said that SUS and Snap Kick can apply to my Shield via the Aptitude ability, so my shield is, at least by my math, doing 6d6+10. We are at level 7 and everything thus far has had AC's in the high teens/low twenties, so I figure I should be able to reliably ricochet at least for a while. So, any suggestions? Especially equipment, Manuevers and Psychic Warrior powers??

Half Minotaur Human Gestalt 7th Level.

Fighter1/FeatRogue1/PsychicWarrior1/PsychicWarrior2/Fighter2/FeatRogue2/Barbarian(LionTotem{CC})1 //Monk1/Crusader6

Flaw: Poor Reflexes

Str 30
Dex 16
Con 21
Int  13
Wis 16
Cha 15

Here is what I worked out for feats, I think I meet all the prereqs but I threw this together in a bit of a hurry and may not have checked thoroughly.

Flaw: Shield Specialization
1/2 Minotaur: Track
Human: Improved Shield Bash
1st: Chakram Richochet
Fighter 1:Shield Sling
Rogue 1: Combat Expertise
3rd:Boomerang Daze
PsyWar1: Imp Trip
PsyWar2:Brutal Throw
Fighter2: Active Shield Defense
6th: Superior US
Feat Rogue2: Snap Kick

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:57:08 AM by Lunaramblings »

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Critique and Help?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »
The build is fine.  Could do with a bit of work towards hitting everything in an AoE (you have halfmin, so War Hulk is on the table, and you have maneuvers, so so is bloodstorm blade) rather than 1/full attack (?) (no idea how chakram ricochet works) enemies at a time.   But if you're hitting enough people you don't even care.

This build is a very competitive fighter build.  I wouldn't play it alongside unoptimized casters, or even most other kinds of optimized t3/4 characters.

Lunaramblings

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
I have been told by the DM that we won't be going past level 8 for this particular game, so Bloodstorm Blade did not really seem worth it by the time I could qualify. The Chakram Ricochet allows me to ricochet off of a target, hitting another target with a cumulative -2 to hit. I figure that I should reliably hit many of the things we will be dealing with. Avg AC being around 20, and me having a +18 to hit, I should on average hit 4 targets before I miss. I would think that would be plenty decent given the style of the game. Though War Hulk did cross my mind... hmmm... maybe I could get everyone to make a different Avenger...

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
I have been told by the DM that we won't be going past level 8 for this particular game, so Bloodstorm Blade did not really seem worth it by the time I could qualify. The Chakram Ricochet allows me to ricochet off of a target, hitting another target with a cumulative -2 to hit. I figure that I should reliably hit many of the things we will be dealing with. Avg AC being around 20, and me having a +18 to hit, I should on average hit 4 targets before I miss. I would think that would be plenty decent given the style of the game. Though War Hulk did cross my mind... hmmm... maybe I could get everyone to make a different Avenger...

You have 10 levels on one side of the gestalt and only 7 on the other. Might want to fix that. Otherwise, it's a decent build (although I didn't check your feat pre-reqs). I'd personally drop the Trip stuff for PA/Imp. Bull Rush/Knockback w/ Dungeoncrasher, but you'd probably have to drop either the unarmed stuff or some of your shield feats to fit it in. Shock Trooper is a natural progression there, of course. Possibly look at being a Dragonborn to snag flight.

For maneuvers, Shield Block and Shield Counter are natural picks that fit with the style. Beyond that, WRT as usual is awesome. Charging Minotaur is very fitting and gives you a chance to play with Lion Totem, as does Battle Leader's Charge. Consider Leading the Charge for some extra fun. Foehammer or Mountain Hammer are always solid utility picks.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Lunaramblings

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »

You have 10 levels on one side of the gestalt and only 7 on the other. Might want to fix that. Otherwise, it's a decent build (although I didn't check your feat pre-reqs). I'd personally drop the Trip stuff for PA/Imp. Bull Rush/Knockback w/ Dungeoncrasher, but you'd probably have to drop either the unarmed stuff or some of your shield feats to fit it in. Shock Trooper is a natural progression there, of course. Possibly look at being a Dragonborn to snag flight.

For maneuvers, Shield Block and Shield Counter are natural picks that fit with the style. Beyond that, WRT as usual is awesome. Charging Minotaur is very fitting and gives you a chance to play with Lion Totem, as does Battle Leader's Charge. Consider Leading the Charge for some extra fun. Foehammer or Mountain Hammer are always solid utility picks.

There are 7 on each side. Fighter2/Feat Rogue2/Psychic Warrior2/Barbarian1 on one side, I just laid them out in the order taken, and then Monk1/Crusader6 on the other. I could drop the trip stuff, but was thinking that it might be more important to hold down enemies as best I can rather than worry too much about even more damage. I really don't want to completely outshine the rest of the group, who are not particularly great at optimization.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »
bullrush + dungeoncrashing + shock trooper is actually better BFC than imp. trip as it can add a free trip attempt on top anyway, but that last part means I definitely won't be suggesting it.

Keeping yourself at the party's level is pretty important.