Author Topic: Building an L5 warforged tanker martial adept.  (Read 2355 times)

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Building an L5 warforged tanker martial adept.
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:44:06 AM »
My first thought was Crusader 5, but now I'm wondering if I should multiclass instead, with Warblade 1 / Fighter 2 / Crusader 2, or something. My intention is to build a very tough threat in battle, which I imagine will be done by having him do a sizable amount of damage and having a low AC so people want to beat him up instead. Here's the existing build:

Abilities
Str 17 +1 level (18/+4)
Dex 15/+2
Con 16 +2 racial (18/+4)
Int 14/+2
Wis 14 -2 racial (12/+1)
Cha 15 -2 racial (13/+1)

Combat
HP: 10 + 4d10 + 20 (average 52)
AC: 14 (base 10 +2 Dex +2 armor)
Init: +2
Speed: 30ft
Fort (+7) +3 +4
Ref (+3) +1 +2
Will (+3) +1 +2

Class Features
Furious Counterstrike
Steely Resolve 10
Indomitable Soul
Zealous Surge
Maneuvers

Skills
(4+2)x8 = 48 skill points
Balance 8 ranks +2 Dex
Diplomacy 8 ranks +1 Cha
Intimidate 8 ranks +1 Cha
Jump 8 ranks +4 Str
Martial Lore 8 ranks +2 Int
Ride 8 ranks +2 Dex

Feats
L1: Extra Granted Maneuver
L3: Stone Power

Martial Powers
Initiator Level 5th
Maneuvers (7 known, 5 readied (denoted by *), 3 granted)
Battle Leader's Charge (Strike)*
Crusader's Strike (Strike)*
Charging Minotaur (Strike)*
Douse The Flames (Strike) => Mountain Hammer (Strike)*
Leading The Attack (Strike)
Stone Bones (Strike)
White Raven Tactics (Boost)*

Stances
Martial Spirit
Iron Guard's Glare

Gear
+1 glaive (2000 gp)
Glove of the Master Strategist (3600gp)
Boots of the Mountain King (1500gp)
Candy (for kids)
The party's luggage

1900 gp (remaining)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Building an L5 warforged tanker martial adept.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
Why warforged? What exactly does it give you that being human or dwarf wouldn't do better?

Why the candy? What kind of character is this?

The best way of being a tank is usually to make it hard from enemies to get away from you, that way they will have to target you in close combat. This is usually done through tripping and/or the standstill feat.

Going pure Crusader is fine, although I prefer Leapfrogging between Warblade and Crusader.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
If you want tank just go Warforged Fighter, Take the shield feats, grab DUNGEON CRASHER, Powerful charge, Adamantine body feat, and then go and grab Warforged juggernaught.

Go around bashing and crashing into things, grab the feats that help you against criticals.  Keep your dex low, max your str and con and your good.  Grab things that grant AC bonus, Natural Armor boosts, and your good.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
Lockdown + Dungeon Crasher = Hurts

Get some cheap mean of flight (Dragonborn, Raptoran, Feathered Wings graft, Winged Vest, etc) and use the ground as a wall if needed.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
If you want tank just go Warforged Fighter, Take the shield feats, grab DUNGEON CRASHER, Powerful charge, Adamantine body feat, and then go and grab Warforged juggernaught.

Go around bashing and crashing into things, grab the feats that help you against criticals.  Keep your dex low, max your str and con and your good.  Grab things that grant AC bonus, Natural Armor boosts, and your good.

And you'll be doing what against opponents that ignore you, other than forbidding you to charge at them by using difficult terrain, flight, longer reach and improved grab, or just being able to stay more than 50' away from you while still having an effect on you and your allies?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »
Why warforged? What exactly does it give you that being human or dwarf wouldn't do better?

It's a character concept thing; of course I'd love to be a dragonborn dorf for maximum Con, but, well, concept.

Why the candy? What kind of character is this?

It's character fluff; got included and I forgot to remove it. I'm mainly looking at a tireless automaton defender, kind of like Robocop with a polearm.

The best way of being a tank is usually to make it hard from enemies to get away from you, that way they will have to target you in close combat. This is usually done through tripping and/or the standstill feat.

Hmm, so I should probably drop Extra Granted Maneuver...

Going pure Crusader is fine, although I prefer Leapfrogging between Warblade and Crusader.

I picked Crusader 5 for fastest access to White Raven Tactics, though that can probably wait.

Also, don't have a lot of levels to work with, alas. Though I will research the interaction with Dungeon Crasher and Stand Still more.