Author Topic: Best Music of the Year  (Read 829 times)

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
Best Music of the Year
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »
Well, considering I saw Walgreens has their Halloween stuff out and my store has started placing Christmas (sorry, "Holiday") products in our catalogs, I figure it can't be too early to begin discussing what albums have served to impress in 2011. So far at least.

Fleet Foxes's Helplessness Blues is pretty good but in my opinion fails to catch me like Sun Giant or their Self-Titled. Then again, it'd be hard for any band to top songs like Mykonos or  White Winter Hymnal.

Ulcerate's Destroys of All easily destroys Everything Is Fire and that album was a raging maelstrom of awesome and destruction.

Necros Christos is continuing the OSDM trend with Doom of the Occult. By no means is this new or innovative or even not very obviously Nile inspired, but HOLY SHIT. Go listen to Necromantique Nun. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jJ-ZKVhs8 If you like OSDM (and not this shit people are calling death metal but is just a bunch of bunch of busted riffs played downtuned high registers with no rhythm or reason) and that doesn't make you soil your pants, I don't know. I just don't.

Gorguts is suppose to be releasing a new album (for real this time) sometime soon.

Kekal technically released 8 this year, it's pretty good but doesn't stand up to 1000 Thoughts of Violence or The Habit of Fire.

Glassjaw's EPs (Our Color Green and Coloring Book (The Singles)) are both pretty good. I don't like them as much as Worship and Tribute or Everything you wanted to know about silence. There's a lot of Head Automatica I can feel slipping in (which isn't bad, but isn't necessarily good).