Author Topic: Tiny PCs Adventure?  (Read 2134 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Tiny PCs Adventure?
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
I just found a really cool spell that I'd like to use on the PCs at a later time, which "permanently" shrinks them to fine size (or larger based on their height above medium), but I don't see any adventures that actually have any tiny-sized PCs. Well, except one. It's a 1st Ed adventure in Dungeon 18 called Chadranther's Bane. It's a decent adventure, but doesn't quite fit into what I was looking for. More like the evil wizard cursing all of the PCs for getting in his way all of the time, and this is his revenge. If possible, I'd rather not homebrew it. Not that great at doing stuff like that. I usually take adventures and revise them to fit my game world and current story arc.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Tiny PCs Adventure?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:24:40 AM »
Being tiny may really hurt the melee members, but it'll be great for the spell-casters.  Harder to hit, and get a bonus to hit others.  Plus more DEX, so even harder to hit and another bonus to hitting others (at least at range).

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »
How permanent is permanent? I'm going to assume that dispelling it isn't an option either because no one will have access to it or because it's instantaneous.

Of course, from the perspective of a really small creature, magic is even more powerful because spell ranges and areas don't scale with a creature's size. Don't get me wrong, they shouldn't because that would be an awful mechanic, but the fact remains that where a typical lightning bolt can hit up to 24 creatures, a Fine creature throwing a lightning bolt into an army of other Fine creatures could hit a hundred times as many.

If you do this, I'd recommend not making them calculate their new stats at Fine size; it'll only complicate things. Scale the challenges instead by filing the serial numbers off of existing monsters and using the party's stats as normal. (You get bonus mileage out of doing this because the wizard can't just use mage hand from an obscene distance to end the adventure early.) Formians are basically already ants, for instance, so just get rid of the spell-like/supernatural abilities. Or you could use the existing zoo full of giant vermin. If they wander outside and run into a mole, pull out the stats for a bulette. They found the wizard's pet cat? Well...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:07:32 AM »
They'll be too low a level to dispel the spell. By the end they'll be able to break it.

Magic DOES scale based on size. If you're 10 times smaller, your range is 10 times smaller. That's the effect of this spell. As for making them recalculate, it's already done when the spell hits (it gives you a template) which also lowers your equivalent CR. This makes regular creatures seem more threatening.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »
They'll be too low a level to dispel the spell. By the end they'll be able to break it.

Magic DOES scale based on size. If you're 10 times smaller, your range is 10 times smaller. That's the effect of this spell. As for making them recalculate, it's already done when the spell hits (it gives you a template) which also lowers your equivalent CR. This makes regular creatures seem more threatening.
If the spell scales it, that's fine. It's just that smaller races straight out of the box don't have that same effect applied.

Do you have the text of the spell on hand? I'm curious to see exactly what it does.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:12 AM »

If the spell scales it, that's fine. It's just that smaller races straight out of the box don't have that same effect applied.

Do you have the text of the spell on hand? I'm curious to see exactly what it does.
I do, but it's not OGL. Can I put it up here?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »

I do, but it's not OGL. Can I put it up here?
As long as you couldn't take what you post and use it in a game without needing more information, I'd say so. The text of the spell without the relevant details like components, level, etcetera ought to be fine. If not, you can take it down again.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:39:15 AM »
Level: Druid 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 6

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »
because the wizard can't just use mage hand from an obscene distance to end the adventure early

I love that image  :lmao