Author Topic: Multiclassing how does it work?  (Read 4487 times)

Mafaxios

• Monkey bussiness
Multiclassing how does it work?
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »
Well im on the new side to 4e and i just don't get the multiclass system. I play a storm sorc and was thinking about multiclassing into wizard for more crowd control powers, but i dont get how it works.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Multiclassing how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »
Take this with a truckload of salt since I don't actually play 4E, but what I remember from the previews and discussions is that you multiclass by taking a multiclass feat. That gives you a minor bonus and usually a limited use version of a power iconic to the multiclassed class, plus the ability to take Paragon Paths and some other options as a character of that class, in addition to your original class. You can access some of the class's other powers by taking some feats, each of which lets you exchange one of your normal utility, daily, or encounter powers for one chosen from the multiclassed class's lists. You can only take one multiclass feat (with a few exceptions, like if you are a Bard). Alternatively, you can sacrifice your normal Paragon Path to do a slightly improved version of multiclassing, where you get better access to the new class's powers and abilities, but at a higher cost (your paragon path instead of just a few feats).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Tequila Sunrise

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:24 PM »
Pretty much what Garryl said. Multiclass feats are found on page 208 of the PHB.

I like multiclass feats because they each grant a trained skill plus a neat shtick from the other class. But I've never taken a power swap feat, because why blow a feat just to swap a power? A power would have to be pretty damn sweet to justify losing a feat. Unsurprisingly, MCing is a let-down for a lot of players.

On the other hand, there are 'hybrid' rules in PHB2. Hybriding is a lot like dual-classing in TSR editions; including the fact that you have to do it at 1st level. Hybriding is also prone to UP and OP.

So...pick your poison. :/

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
Yep (I'm late, they got it) it's a little strange at first. And Bard gets even weirder.

If you want one power off of a different class, you take the two feats.
One to open the 2nd class including the ppath, one to take the power.
Now you can take one more feat to get one more power ; or one more time after that.
A workable build concept is the Gish:
Wizard with stunlock goodies / multies into Fighter for the level 3 borkny encounter
Ppath into Swordmaster for all the recharges and more combat thingies
EpicD into Deadly Trickster for even more recharges of the dailies.
It's tough enough to make all this work, so your DM doesn't really hafta read the Errata.
(wink)

It works the same if you hybrid, it's just the 3rd class instead.
What a Bard can do is multiclass on more than one class.
Bard or hybrid Bard or multi Bard can fit in 2 or 3 more class powers.
The wotc CO-board has plenty of these monstahz floating around.

If all this still seems kinda ...  ??? ... you could skip it all
and take Eternal Seeker EpicD. That lets you pick powers off any class.
Although there's a whole 'nother can-o-worms opened by that.
 ;)