Author Topic: Types subtypes and gained abilities  (Read 1446 times)

Maerdash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Types subtypes and gained abilities
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
Okay to start off, I'm not sure if this question fits this forum but I dont see anywhere it would fit better and, more telling, I trust CO as a group to give me a fair arccurate answer AND know what they are talking about. Now on to the question!
Alright, types and subtypes give specific things like outsider which grants.
d8 hd
full base attack
proficiency with all martial weapons etc.
And for subtypes we'll go with fire for the example. it nets you immunity to, you guessed it, fire.
So the above examples, in the books, are pretty clear on what they give you (yes I know those arent full listings I promise :D)
My question is this.
Some templates give you a part of your racial ability for instance the lich and most undead templatse to my knowledge convert all current and future HD to the racial d12.
This implies that there is a general rule that states some if not all racial abilities are subsumed by class levels
(ie with the outsider type a racial HD of outsider would net you a +1 base attack increase whereas a level of wizard wouldn't)
and that templates like the lich in our other example give specific cases that over ride this more general rule and in their case act as the more specific rule.
But then there are templates like the half dragon that specifically note not to change things like base attack implying that the general rules IS to do these things and that it gives specific cases that over ride the more general rule.
Its a tad confusing to me. So I've spent the last two weeks looking for what the rules are and are not....and cant find them.
Could someone provide a quote to tell me what the rules are or atleast a RAI argument that I can make sense of?
I'm mainly asking because I have a player in a game who was planning on making a wiz back up char that used otherworldly to gain the outsider (native) type and subtype for the outsider goodies on a full caster.
I told him no but I dislike making general rulings about what a character can do without knowing the rules in question.
Another little bit of info (i'm sorry this is rambling and half of its probably irrelevant :P) I told the player he would gain everything listed under traits in the outsider type entry but nothing listed above it. An opinion on wether this was a good call would also be nice :D
Thanks for your time League of Extraordinary Optimizers!
EDIT Herp derp. Woulda helped if I had even posted this in char op like I thought I had XD
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:10:18 AM by Maerdash »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Types subtypes and gained abilities
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
The general rules for templates are found here.

More specifically, here are the rules for type, Hit Dice, BAB, and saves.

So, with templates and types, you only care about your class for BAB, HP, and saves unless you also have racial hit dice. Then you use your type for your RHD, and you still use your class for everything else.

With the exception of Lich, Vampire, Necropolitan, and some other undead templates, you don't typically recalculate class-based HP. Also, I don't think you ever recalculate class-based BAB and saves. The exception to this is if the template explicitly states that it removes class levels. Skeleton and Zombie specifically reduce the creature to their RHD, and then convert those RHD to undead HD.

All of these special rules should be in the individual templates themselves.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Maerdash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply, from my reading the character would gain the traits listed under outsider via the otherwordly feat.
Another question, how would changing your type interact with the various racial classes? Would it disqualify you for advancing further in one or simple change the way you advanced? Would seem to be a little bit of an edge to say a monstrous humanoid racial class if it could change its racial hit dice to dragon.
Again thanks I'm running the game the earlier question was relevant to tomorrow and it would have driven me nuts not having an answer :P

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
I'm not sure. If someone is playing an elf, they're considered to have the type Humanoid (elf). I'm not sure if "elf" is a subtype, or what. I don't know what happens to subtypes if a template changes the original type.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]