Author Topic: Enhancing a Paladin  (Read 4803 times)

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Enhancing a Paladin
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
You need more wis, give him the Serenity feat and dump cha for wis (Serenity makes all paladin's cha abilities work of wis instead, but it's not worded that way, instead each ability (like turn unded) is individually mentioned.) that should bring him at the right level.
Nah. It's good but high CHA is to iconic for a Paladin. It doesn't fit the picture the player wants I think. He was pretty adamant about being present, if you know what I mean.

Then switch serenity to a counterpart homebrew feat for example 'Charming' and make all his wisdom based stuff cha based instead.

Or find out what he wants and pull a homebrew class that does it better.

If he wants a high cha paladiny char I think I would tell him to look at a Disciple of Mym C'sil Which is a glorious adaptation of a paladin/factotum. It's probably still not strong enough to compete with the other players, but he should be the center of attention at all times. Point out that he can have a bane type at will and he should do ok.

Or if he wants more of the supernatural warrior for good that looks good use one of my own. It's not really strong enough to compete in those leagues by itself but if you give him the half fey template he should be ok.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
Wow. Lots of advice . I will need some time to digest this. Will report back :) Thanx.

To everyone postings lvl 20 builds, thanx but it's for a one off. Players will be ecl 6.
Yeah, everyone has some Paladin build idea. They are iconicly in demand with a lot of players. In some degree the same can be said about me with the various gishes I've played. Same concept, just arcane and better.

Oh and take a gander at the Hellreaver PrC out of FC2, it's nothing note worthy for broken but they get a number of Fury points per round which can be spent as Swift/Immediate actions either heal (+30HP!), Smite (+8 to att +4d6 dmg), or stay alive (+4 to saves & mettle). It doesn't advance anything but then again it doesn't really require anything either. But it can instantly add the Paladin feel to any generic base, like the almost matching mechanics of a Factotum. You know, in case you decided the group needs a skillmonkey/scout.

Contemplative 2 gives Slippery Mind.  That's way more useful than *maybe one* fifth-level maneuver.

Fist of Raziel smiting isn't that awesome, and definitely not worth the trash feat.  Go with Knight of the Raven.  It will even make your Ordained Champion smiting that much better.
I know I used FoR with it to display how a ten level PrC is directly superior (ie same traits, but better) to twenty levels in Paladin but why not see what the Raven offers and improve it a bit for the next Paladin thread.

Which book in case a shiny distracts me before I forget to google it?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.