Author Topic: Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader  (Read 5479 times)

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
Calchexxis has been kind enough to DM a play by post 40k game. So people who want to play go ahead and post here and vote. We are gathering players, so far there is 2 or 3 for sure.
I cant say for sure but Im guessing we are looking for a group of 4-6 players? I guess Calchexxis will have to post that stuff later
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
My vote is for Rogue Trader  :devil

Calchexxis

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »
On the condition that you not name your ship 'The Filthy Whore'.

'The Iron Balls of the Emperor' however is totally acceptable.

On that note I will abstain from voting since I will DM either one, whichever the group prefers, i'd like to limit it to about 4 to 5 people since this will be my first time DMing a play by post game.
"Oh God, I could be bounded in a nutshell
and count myself king of infinite space
were it not that I have bad dreams..."

Hamlet, Act II

konner09

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
I will play some rouge Trader
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
either, never played rogue trader so that could be interesting.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »
I've never played either so I'm fine with either, both would make me happy.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Calchexxis

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:36:02 AM »
So from the votes it looks like we're veering towards Rogue Trader, in that case...

Fair warning, only one person can be the titular Rogue Trader. Ideally someone who's familiar with the world of 40k since the Trader is the scion of a vast dynasty and to whom is entrusted a valuable Warrant of Trade to enter the Koronus Expanse and seize fortune for their family. Bear in mind the responsibilities of this position, you will be the final word on whether your team undertakes an Endeavor, you will be the voice and face of the party to prospective allies, you will be held responsible for rises in your dynasty's profit factor, and as equally you'll be hung out to dry if cocks rocket skyward.

So put serious thought into whether or not you'll be willing to play the Rogue Trader. If no one wants to play the Rogue Trader I can very easily create one and run him, he'll likely have little direct involvement being more of a lead from the back type who can wash his hands of you if things go tits up. Not necessarily immoral so much as cautious with his investments.

Hamlet, Act II

konner09

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:38:06 AM »
I have an old charector i could probably use :P void masters are fun

I could play the Rouge Trader if no one else wants it, i'll just have to create the new charector
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:51:45 AM by konner09 »
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:24 AM »
I tend to shy away from leadership roles in general...

I would personally play Arch-Miliatant or Explorator given the choice.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:55:32 AM by Littha »

konner09

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »
Another question would we be using the latest edition?

einherjar

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:21 AM »
Personally, I would rather play Rogue Trader. However, I am slightly concerned that a lot of people have never played either before, and Rogue Trader is the more complicated of the two. It's not a huge issue, but I just felt I should mention it. Also, we would need to figure out who does what on the ship, and who gets to be the rogue trader, since the rogue trader is, by default, Lord-Captain of the ship and thus in charge.
Till we meet again in Valhalla...

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »
I'm willing to take on whatever role we seem to need, and obviously do not want to be the Rogue Trader.
Notes to self

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:07 AM »
I nominate: Einherjar for the captain.

MY suggestion for ship names are as follows
1) The Filthy Whore
2) The Solid Brass Balls of the Emperor
3) Set in Stone
4) Bad People Burying People
5) The Saint of Explosives
6) Bitch Im Gorgeous
So 2 of these are completely serious, and 3 I like but wouldnt expect anyone else to. 1 of them made me lawl.
Il leave you to figure out what ones are what.  :smirk

Personally Im not 100% familiar with all the material I would not want to be the captain.... Calchexxis and Einherjar you both know my play style what do you think I would like? Something similar to an Arbiter, or something that makes things explode...  :P
BTW Calchexxis, as in the IRL game I would love to be able to get in as a xeno.. either a orc or eldar would be sweet. If you wanna keep it all humans though(as per the normal rules) then thats cool to  :devil

So then the players are.. ? Littha, My self, Einherjar, Nanshork, Konner
I know Calchexxis only wanted 5 players, and the first 3 are set for sure. Im pretty sure the last two spots nanshork and konner can take, but there is a small possibilty one of our friends who moved recently might jump in. So until noted otherwise we should just plan for this line up??

edit: btw im open to playing either game. but would prefer rogure trader just because we havent played one yet.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:01:32 AM by dna1 »

Calchexxis

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:21:53 AM »
Actually normal rules, if you DL the Explorers Handbook, has rules for being an Eldar Corsair, an Ork Freebooter, or a Kroot Mercenary. Preferably if you did play a xeno it would be easier if you were an Eldar or a Kroot rather than an Ork.

In terms of your normal play style I would advice either the Arch-Militant since they get ass-loads of weapons, or the Missionary since they get to declare random shit as heretic then set it on fire, pretty much arbitrarily too since you're out in the boonies where the Imperium doesn't even technically stretch.

Edit: I would prefer to keep it at 5 since too many people is too many actions to keep track of and on a forum post game they can kind of blend together. So for now I'm sticking with a First Come First Serve rule and since we have five, that's the five we'll play with unless someone drops, that ok?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:24:59 AM by Calchexxis »

Hamlet, Act II

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 03:26:22 AM »
Into the Storm - The Explorers handbook has Ork and Kroot. Eldar are never detailed (Though it is hinted that they will get their own book/spinoff game in the future here and there on their forums)

There are some rather good homebrew eldar paths out there but fluff wise an eldar would pretty much never lower them self to working under a human.

You could also extrapolate an eldar character from the few published ones. They all have high willpower and unnatural agility x2 but one of the few that exist is a farseer who has a unique psychic power (Mindwar) that will instakill pretty much anyone she encounters. Including a space marine.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:31:22 AM by Littha »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 04:06:04 AM »
What career paths are people thinking of playing?
Notes to self

konner09

• Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 04:28:21 AM »
So i assume were using the most recent version of Rouge trader?

I am thinking of going Void master of Ordnance
edit: i am also fine with the first come first serve rule  :smirk
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:32:37 AM by konner09 »

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
Our Ship Awaits

So there is the thread to the game. It was just created this morning, Calchexxis hasent had time to add anything yet so I went ahead and posted a topic where we can make our characters. I'l wait for him to set up the other topics  :D

so lets take our discussion there.