Author Topic: Refluffing Spells and magic items into Martial/Inborn Abilities  (Read 4243 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Many spells and magic items are very easy to refluff as a power or ability that was learned through intense training, meditation, or something like that. But what about those spells that are VERY magical in nature and visually? Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Create Undead, etc.? How would you refluff them to be a martial ability?
(To be clear: I'm not trying to make them non-magical, mundane abilities. They all still will be Sp or Su, with a few rare Ex, but I'm trying to refluff them as martial, not spells.)
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Refluffing Spells and magic items into Martial/Inborn Abilities
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »
Fireball = Molotov cocktail
Lightning bolt = Build up and release static electricity (this is actually the description already...), or swing your weapon so hard it creates a shockwave.
Create undead = Perform surgery to restore limited brain function and compensate for lost organs (think Franken Fran). Since this requires altering a body to work in an unusual way, healing spells will undo your work, harming the reanimated person instead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:12:20 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
That would require to have the cocktail to use it.

Lightning bolt = Build up and release static electricity (this is actually the description already...), or swing your weapon so hard it creates a shockwave.
Brilliant.

Create undead = Use medical skills to restore limited brain function and compensate for lost organs. Since this requires altering a body to work in an unusual way, healing spells will undo your work, harming the reanimated person instead.
Hm. I didn't even notice that it has a casting time of 1 hour. In that case this refluff is very fitting.

Please, don't limit yourself just to those 3 spells that I used as an example. I'll be thankful for any other ideas. :)

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
The spell component, is basically the formula for gunpowder.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
Then how do you imagine this ability used? The warrior pulls out a cocktail from his pocket and throws it at the enemy? Isn't it more an item thing then a Sp/Su/Ex ability? What if he won't have any cocktails in his possession?

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
Then how do you imagine this ability used? The warrior pulls out a cocktail from his pocket and throws it at the enemy? Isn't it more an item thing then a Sp/Su/Ex ability? What if he won't have any cocktails in his possession?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist#TOC-Bomb-Su-
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
Then hes missing the material component, obviously.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
Sp and Su (don't know about Ex, but probably too) abilities don't need material components.

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »
Well if it were, you'd just hurl something suitably flammable or get all desert wind-like. Summon monster would be trickier without hijinks.

Pokemon, imaginary monsters, what else?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
Well if it were, you'd just hurl something suitably flammable or get all desert wind-like. Summon monster would be trickier without hijinks.

I'd say the excuse would depend on the caster. How do you think a medusa summons snakes? :p
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »

I'd say the excuse would depend on the caster. How do you think a medusa summons snakes? :p

The MM medusa actualy doesn't summon snakes. The mythology one has her blood turn into snakes, and I added that detail to my monster class version.

Also last time I checked, wizard casting is an ability you get after intensive  (mental) training, 1 hour of meditation per day and then special components.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »

The MM medusa actualy doesn't summon snakes. The mythology one has her blood turn into snakes, and I added that detail to my monster class version.
I meant if a medusa gained the ability to summon snakes through class levels.
My work

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
Also last time I checked, wizard casting is an ability you get after intensive  (mental) training, 1 hour of meditation per day and then special components.
And what does it have to do with martial (as in "physical") training?

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Martial is mostly physical, no? Or at least much more physical then mental (I won't say that there's no mentality involved in physical training, that would be false).
Also it's easy to deduct from this threads context.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:14:48 AM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
Plenty of martial guys meditate. Or your meditation is practicing your forms, doing stretches, loading bullets into the gun built into your arm...
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »
Well, it could just be a potent blood thing yeah. A lot of deities, demigods and monsters can spill blood to create all kinds of critters.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]