Author Topic: Optimizing a favored soul  (Read 17625 times)

Noble Von Blunderbus

• Monkey bussiness
Optimizing a favored soul
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:30:48 AM »
I am looking to play a Human favored soul of Nerrul, starting at level one with an estimated campaign completion at level 9. this campaign is being run in a modular style so we will probably be coming back to it in the future, perhaps all the way to 20.
Feat 1: is tomb tainted soul
Feat 2: --
I don't see much of this class so I was wonderings if anyone had any suggestions.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Optimizing a favored soul
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
Charismatic priest from legends of the twins lets you dump wisdom and focus only on cha.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
It's Dynamic Priest, sadly it doesn't help Favored Soul at all. Poor Favored Souls...

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
Dark Pilgrim of Takhisis (Holy Orders of the Stars) would be a NICE PrC , if you can adapt it to your god.
CHA to Saves, 2d6 SA, Slippery Mind, Full Casting 5/5... All good things.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
Someone once told me resurgence (Spell Compendium) is a good spell for favored souls since it allows you to get rid of a wide range of effects without using a bunch of spells known. 

Evangelist (Dragon 311) is a lot like favored soul.  It might be another option for this concept. 

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
I also really like Favored of the Fiends ACF (Exemplars of Evil), that gives you 2 Claws and a Bite instead of your Bonus Feats as a Favored Soul.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
The deity's favor alternative class feature (Player's Handbook II) looks nice.  It makes your buff spells give free temporary hit points. 

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
The deity's favor alternative class feature (Player's Handbook II) looks nice.  It makes your buff spells give free temporary hit points.  

It's a GREAT feature. My only problem with it - you need 12 levels in Favored Soul. That said, Magic of the Land / Spellguard of Silverymoon and other like abilities work REALLY well with that.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
Do you have to be a favored soul of Nerrul? A favored soul of Tiamat ACF (Dragon Magic, p 13) loses weapon focus and specialization and gains claw attacks, adds some sorcerer spells to your spells known list, adds the dragon touched feat, grows dragon wings instead of normal wings, and gains damage resistance 10/epic instead of normal resistance. One of your sorcerer spells has to be a 1st level spell so consider something like grease or silent image and your second sorcerer spell can be up to a 5th level spell so your options include polymorph, wings of flurry, and draconic polymorph.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
The deity's favor alternative class feature (Player's Handbook II) looks nice.  It makes your buff spells give free temporary hit points.  

It's a GREAT feature. My only problem with it - you need 12 levels in Favored Soul. That said, Magic of the Land / Spellguard of Silverymoon and other like abilities work REALLY well with that.

Heh? Deity's Favor requires Favored Soul 3. It's the lynchpin behind the Joker and Algernon.

And yes, as InnaBinder pointed out, Favored Soul does awesome things with War Weaver and Spellguard of Silverymoon. Not that I had a hand in making either of those builds :whistle.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
Charismatic priest from legends of the twins lets you dump wisdom and focus only on cha.
Not using saving throw-dependent spells also lets you largely ignore Wisdom.

Making a good Favored Soul is similar to making a good Sorcerer.  Versatile spells like Resurgence are what you need to look for primarily.  Other spells that clerics generally pass over because of short durations like Recitation are also really good for Favored Souls since they can cast them as many times as needed a day.  Persistent Spell might actually be worth eating the +6 adjustment on, because when you only have one 7th-level spell known that you may or may not cast 4-5 times a day, using one of those extra spells per day to get an extra +3 to hit and damage all day long is not necessarily a bad idea.