Author Topic: Top 10 Item Ability Lists  (Read 3961 times)

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Top 10 Item Ability Lists
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »
I'm want to add a top 10 list at the top of my Weapon, Armor, and Shield ability sections. I would like to have people's input on what abilities they think are the best.

If you need a reference you can use this list of abilities.

I am not including any crystals, materials, or modifications in these lists.

Also, feel free to mention any ability combos that you think are good. This can be a weapon/material combo like using Katori Resin with an exotic 2h 18-20 crit range weapon. Or it can be an ability combo like adding Skillful to an Everchanging Blade (Ud, p70) so that you gain proficiency in whatever exotic weapon you might decide to turn it in to.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:33:29 AM by Daniel678 »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Top 10 Item Ability Lists
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
I guess these ten are my top favorites.
#10 Martial Discipline(ToB, +1) Gives an additional +3 to attack rolls while using a ToB stance.
#9 Warning(MiC, +1): +5 insight to Initiative.
#8 Splitting(CoR, +3, ranged): Clones any arrow shot out of your bow. I do mean any, even special save or die arrows for example.
#7 Command(DotF, +2): +4 Competence to Charisma, Competence holy crap.
#6 Empyreal(BoED, +2, armor): Like defending but for saves and is a Sacred bonus type. Source of the +6 to saves for 64k.
#5 Fearsome(DotU, +5,000, armor): +5 Enhancement to Intimidate and you can Demoralize as a Move Action for Fear based lock down.
#4 Necromantic(HoB, +3,000, ranged): Animates up to 20HD of undead within 60ft for ten rounds, all of which are under your control.
#3 Wrathful Healing(E&A, +3): Heal half the damage you deal.
#2 Energy Drain(DoF, +2 armor/shield): Shield Bash or Unarmed Attack(armors only) deals 1d4 negative levels.
#1 Valorous(UE, +1): x2 damage while charging, virtually everyone can use this. Even spellcasters (hold a touch attack then charge).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:02:22 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 04:09:04 AM »
I will be doing a top 10 list for each of the three sections so if you want you can make 3 top 10 lists.

Dudesan

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Force (MIC p35, +2) A ranged weapon with this quality fires projectiles made of force. Ignores DR. Obsoletes Ghost Touch.
Spell Storing (SRD, +1). A +1 Spell Storing arrow is 160 gp. A potion of a third level spell is 750 gp. Clearly, magic is a lot more efficient when it's injected than when it's taken orally.
Whirling (MIC, +1 46) 3/Day, attack every creature within your reach as a full round action.
Magebane (Complete Arcane?, +1) Affects a much larger subset of creatures than most other "bane" properties.

Energy Drain and Command, from SorO's list, strike me as "Holy $#@!ing Crap" abilities, and I can't imagine anyone I play with approving of them. Probably also Wrathful Healing.
I didn't realize Empyreal gave you a Sacred bonus.
The other six, I've made use of before, and they're all great. Valourous weapons are great for nearly everyone.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:39:33 AM »
Spellstrike (MIC) is nice. Basically the same as Defending, but you get to apply it to saves against spell-likes, supernaturals and spells. Similar to Empyreal, but it's only a +1 enchantment. Works particularly well for Wizards. If I play a non-melee caster I tend to always have a +1 Eager Warning/+1 Spellstrike Quarterstaff handy. Apply Greater Magic weapon to the Spellstrike end of the stick and you've got a pretty decent weapon.

Soulfire is expensinve at +4, but the immunities are damn neat. It's from BoED.

Handy Links

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Top 10 weapon abilities, no particular order:

Magebane (CA, +1)
Whirling (MIC +1)
Spellstoring (DMG +1)
Splitting (CoR +3)
Wrathful Healing (EA +3)
Force (MIC +2)
Sudden Stunning (DMGII 2000 gp)
Warning (MIC +1)
Eager (MIC +1)
Stunning Surge (MIC +1)

I put a premium on cheap abilites and abilites that scale well.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
Things I never seen before, but are awesome
Holy  :love
#6 Empyreal(BoED, +2, armor): Like defending but for saves and is a Sacred bonus type. Source of the +6 to saves for 64k.
This stacks with spell strike  :lmao
#4 Necromantic(HoB, +3,000, ranged): Animates up to 20HD of undead within 60ft for ten rounds, all of which are under your control.
They are not under your control, and it is a siege weapon animation.  They attack the nearest living creature.
#2 Energy Drain(DoF, +2 armor/shield): Shield Bash or Unarmed Attack(armors only) deals 1d4 negative levels.
An Evil Captain America...will combine well with bloodstorm blade  :smirk

-------------------------------------------

My own addition to the list is Sudden Stunning in the DMGII p261.  Complete a successful melee attack, afterwards use your swift action, now the target must make a Reflex Save of 10+1/2 your Character Level+Charisma or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds.  You can use this ability up to your Charisma modifier per day.  The ability only costs 2,000 gp.  Furthermore you can enchant multiple weapons with this such as your spiked gauntlets, so it is really nice for a cha heavy melee user.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
I really think Aptitude needs to go on the list.  It's a +1 ability that makes fighter-types relevant again all by itself.  It's not useful for everyone, true, but it's AMAZINGLY useful for some characters.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:48:23 PM »
I really think Aptitude needs to go on the list.  It's a +1 ability that makes fighter-types relevant again all by itself.  It's not useful for everyone, true, but it's AMAZINGLY useful for some characters.
Plus Fucking One. When I read what you can do w/ this a while back, it made me want to play a character that didn't want to cast spells/manifest powers as her main shtick or even at all.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
Where and what is "Aptitude"?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
Where and what is "Aptitude"?
Tome of Battle, page 148. +1 weapon special ability.

It lets you apply weapon-specific feats to other weapons.

So you can take all those "Lightning Mace" and "Roundabout Kick" feats that do super special things just for one weapon type, and use them all at once. Qualifying for those feats will still be a bitch, of course, but once you do... oh baby. Infinite attacks was one combination if I recall.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Holy  :love
The catch is there is another Enhancement called "Command" in Dragon of Fearun (also 3.0 rules). It is a +3 ability that gives a +2 competence bonus to Charisma Checks and Leadership but doesn't work if it's not seen. Whereas A&E is +2, gives a +4 competence bonus to Charisma, a minor aura of +2 moral to save for allies, and a -6 penalty to Hide checks.

Clearly their effects are different but someone may try to claim DoF's replaces A&Es, after all DoF is 3.5 rules and one is just too good to be true. But meh, it is a same name thing to me that I've already reached the opinion to ignore from the dual printed of Deadly Precision and a +3 competence to Charisma Checks is like a 5k item in Core.

Edit - Fixed my quote tags
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:08:02 PM by SorO_Lost »
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Lo77o

• Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
The catch is there is another Enhancement called "Command" in Dragon of Fearun (also 3.0 rules). It is a +3 ability that gives a +2 competence bonus to Charisma Checks and Leadership but doesn't work if it's not seen. Whereas A&E is +2, gives a +4 competence bonus to Charisma, a minor aura of +2 moral to save for allies, and a -6 penalty to Hide checks.

Clearly their effects are different but someone may try to claim DoF's replaces A&Es, after all DoF is 3.5 rules and one is just too good to be true. But meh, it is a same name thing to me that I've already reached the opinion to ignore from the dual printed of Deadly Precision and a +3 competence to Charisma Checks is like a 5k item in Core.
[/quote]

Is it only the +2 moral bonus to saves that is granted to your allies, or is it also the +4 charisma? I might be reading it wrong, but it seems like they gain both.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »

Edit - Fixed my quote tags

Is it only the +2 moral bonus to saves that is granted to your allies, or is it also the +4 charisma? I might be reading it wrong, but it seems like they gain both.
Well it does say "this armor or shield carries a powerful aura that gives a +4 competence bonus to Charisma and a +2 bonus on Will saves to all allies within 30 feet." which could be read either way, mostly for the aura gives both though.

Sadly, it's still better written than DoF's. DoF's is in a side bar and notes "Friendly troops within 360 feet of the user become braver than normal (for example, more willing than normal to follow a leader into battle against dangerous foes)." but gives no mechanical bonus or notation of what that entails rule wise.

[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:20:15 PM »
I think Command was updated in MiC. Rather than a +4 boost to Charisma, it gives a +2 bonus to most/all Charisma-based checks, IIRC.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
I think Command was updated in MiC. Rather than a +4 boost to Charisma, it gives a +2 bonus to most/all Charisma-based checks, IIRC.
Nope. MiC has Commander which is a +2,000 addon that gives a +2 competence bonus to Diplomacy checks, each ally within 30ft gets a +1 moral bonus to Will, and imposes a -5 penalty to Hide.
[/spoiler]