Author Topic: Interest Check. Temple of Elemental Evil  (Read 27691 times)

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
Re: Interest Check. Temple of Elemental Evil
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
Originally just meant the new ones(Advanced Player's Guide and Ulimate Magic)...but hey now that you mention it, let's go with both!  :D

Edit: And what about Pathfinder races?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:10:32 AM by ShadowViper »
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
I'd rather go with 3.5 classes when available

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
Just on for second to let everyone know I'm still here (work was extremely long yesterday).  I'll post answers to the questions when I get back from work today.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »
I'd rather go with 3.5 classes when available

Could always make it an option, player's choice kinda thing. 3.5 class or 3.P class as up to them. Just a suggestion.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
1) If I'm going Beguiler/Swiftblade and actually taking the CL hits can I gestalt into Tier 5 classes like Monk or Swashbuckler?  Such gestalt would be for BAB and perhaps some bonus Feat synergies.

2) Can Beguiler get the same 0 level treatment for the 3,5,7,9, etc.. levels as does sorcerer?

3) Am I allowed to use Versitile Spellcaster + Hieghten Trick to get early?  If so I could enter Swiftblade as Early as 5th level assuming I am allowed to Gestalt Tier 5 classes for the BaB.

I'm hesitant on this one, just because it starts to feel like a slippery slope, PM me a sample build and I'll think about it.

Yes.

Versatile + Heighten is fine.

As for pathfinder, I don't really want to be continuing with the conversion while also getting comfortable with running two systems.  I've only built one pathfinder character (and made two rolls with it) so I'm not really that familiar with the changes or the classes or skills.  My skills changes are based more on 4th than on pathfinder as I'm actually more familiar with 4th than pathfinder.  As for races I don't need the added complexity of wondering which race p or 3.5 we are talking about.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
Would a hobgoblin sorcerer be possible(I know we're starting at level 1)?

Other ideas I'm having are, a Huamn Druid(jungle focused with a fleshraker companion eventually).

A Gnome illusionist going into Shadowcraft Mage

And a Dread Necromancer, probably human.

Edit: And...maybe a Changeling Unseen Seer
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:32:08 AM by ShadowViper »

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »
To give a premise of the situation as the game starts that might help people make decisions about their characters, here is the sort of opening story hook:

You are in Crydee when the game begins.  You have very little money to your name having only recently arrived upon hearing that the Duke's interest in employing a small group of adventurers to keep an eye on that land around his kingdom.  Normally this task is handled by the Rangers of Crydee, but due to the massive losses in the recent Riftwar, and the recent discovery that Martin, once a Ranger of Crydee was in fact an illegitimate son of the former Duke legitimized just before his death and then placed as Duke of Crydee the Rangers have been decimated.  Martin isn't looking only for a group of scouts, but men and women of skill that can handle themselves in any situation, and you have come believing that your skills will serve. 

You have presented your case, and been given the task of exploring a nearby stronghold for signs of activity.  Once upon a time this was a stronghold for the moredhel(evil elves but not drow), and later was again used by other forces seeking power by wielding the dark forces, and ever since then the Duke's of Crydee have tried to keep a watchful eye on the area.  The war that spanned the last 10 years has caused this vigilance to wane, and the Duke believes that it is best this practice be renewed with the end of the Riftwar.  You will be paid as mercenaries of your level would be paid and be considered constantly employed by the Duke until such time as your services are no longer needed.  You will not be wearing the Duke's colors, and will not to directly privy to the use of his name for special treatment.

Great service to the realm has been known to result in great promotion.  Several commoners were elevated to earldoms after their service was noted during the Riftwar, and should your service prove particularly beneficial to the Duke of Crydee it would certainly be possible to achieve a stipend of land and a title to go with it.  The western part of the realm is mostly wild, and thus much of the terrain is still uninhabited and ready to be claimed and put to use for the Kingdom.

Crydee is very near(and kind of engulfed in) a heavily forested area that is mostly coniferous forest with some deciduous trees mixed in.  It also has a small and not heavily used harbor.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2011, 01:51:23 AM »
Sounds awesome so far, now I'm thinking along the lines of an Elven druid, ranger or scout. Might even do a swift hunter(but I think someone already claimed one).

Though still hanging on to my Dread Necro, Gnome Illusionist and perhaps the Changeling Unseen Seer.

My idea for the Hobgoblin would've been that he'd be a visitor from another world/different reality. And guessing that's not going to work all that well.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2011, 03:22:37 AM »
This is perfect for my character. I'll have it online tomorrow, early monday. The gist is a melee striker, developing into a crit-monkey making use of sneak attack with telling blow. He'll have a few tricks though, don't worry. :P

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2011, 05:05:48 AM »

@vilenatas: You have a problem with archivists gaining normally arcane spells by scribing a scroll from a friendly spellcaster (as in archivist provides Scribe Scroll and XP, other caster provides the spell) that has turned it divine via Southern Magician and/or Alternate Spell Source?

Bumping this since it's important for my char.
Also, can I use cleric starting wealth? I can seem to find the starting wealth for Archivist in HoH?

This is my char sheet (still WIP, needs gear and spells).

This is what I have in mind background-wise(still a pretty rough draft):

[spoiler]

Beorn is a low-rank priest in the church of Bahamut (please say if any other god is more appropriate) and due to his innate lust for knowledge, he usually travels as a scout, seeking places where evil lurks, and either tries to root it out himself or notify the church when evil turns out to be too strong. He has arrived in Crydee in order to investigate the stronghold, and upon finding out that the duke wants the same thing, he has offered his services.

[/spoiler]

Is that okay with you?

@ShadowViper: think what we need more would be either the Hobgoblin Sorc or the Gnome illusionist as we have no arcane caster AFAIk, but in the end anything will work just fine probably ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:10:53 AM by LordBlades »

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
Right now I'm leaning heavily toward Unseen Seer, but he'd start out with a couple of levels of Rogue most likely.

As for Hobgoblin Sorcerer, not sure how a 1 LA race would work out at level 1. If we were using Pathfinder races it wouldn't be a problem as the Hobgoblin is the same power level as the Core Book races.

Edit. Think I've narrowed it down to either Changeling Seer or Gnome SCM. For the Hob I was mainly planning draconic background focusing on blasting with lightning.

Edit 2: And...the Changeling might actually turn into a Human.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:53:19 AM by ShadowViper »

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »

@vilenatas: You have a problem with archivists gaining normally arcane spells by scribing a scroll from a friendly spellcaster (as in archivist provides Scribe Scroll and XP, other caster provides the spell) that has turned it divine via Southern Magician and/or Alternate Spell Source?

Bumping this since it's important for my char.
Also, can I use cleric starting wealth? I can seem to find the starting wealth for Archivist in HoH?

This is my char sheet (still WIP, needs gear and spells).

This is what I have in mind background-wise(still a pretty rough draft):

[spoiler]

Beorn is a low-rank priest in the church of Bahamut (please say if any other god is more appropriate) and due to his innate lust for knowledge, he usually travels as a scout, seeking places where evil lurks, and either tries to root it out himself or notify the church when evil turns out to be too strong. He has arrived in Crydee in order to investigate the stronghold, and upon finding out that the duke wants the same thing, he has offered his services.

[/spoiler]

Is that okay with you?

@ShadowViper: think what we need more would be either the Hobgoblin Sorc or the Gnome illusionist as we have no arcane caster AFAIk, but in the end anything will work just fine probably ;)

You will be able to run across characters with these feats from time to time, what spells in particular are you interested in tracking down?  Cleric starting wealth works fine.

Shadowviper, if you want to use a race with LA, you start as a first level character taking a -1 to everything (skills, saves etc, including spell dcs and caster level (min caster level 1)) for each point of LA you have.  When you gain a level you instead reduce the penalty by 1.  You can of course eventually buy off the LA.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
Ok, so the builds I'm working on atm are either a Divine Minion, Rogue-ish Master of Many Forms, or a Half-Minotaur (Or something else if that is not allowed) Warblade/Factotum//Rogue/Swashbuckler.
1. Level adjustment, are they one side or both side of Gestalt if I'm not touching the full casters with an 11 foot pole?
2. Half-Minotaur from Dragon Magazine 313 allowed? (Basically a LA 1 template that makes you large and gives you loads of strength but hits your Cha and your Int)
3. Divine Minion from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a Is that allowed?
4. Exoticist Fighter from Dragon 310 (Smaller feat list, but gets 4 exotic weapons instead of martial weapon profiencies).
5. Feat Rogue + Swashbuckler + Daring Outlaw combo, does it work? So I get feats from feat rogue, but Sneak attack for the total of the levels anyway?

If everything is a yes, I'll probably go with the warblade/Factotum//Swashbuckler/Rogue Build. Skill Points and feats galore makes for a decent all-right non-magician.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »
For the gnome I'm thinking Illusionist/Shadow Adept/Shadowcraft Mage.

The Human will most likely be Rogue/Diviner/Unseen Seer/???

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
Ok, so the builds I'm working on atm are either a Divine Minion, Rogue-ish Master of Many Forms, or a Half-Minotaur (Or something else if that is not allowed) Warblade/Factotum//Rogue/Swashbuckler.
1. Level adjustment, are they one side or both side of Gestalt if I'm not touching the full casters with an 11 foot pole?
2. Half-Minotaur from Dragon Magazine 313 allowed? (Basically a LA 1 template that makes you large and gives you loads of strength but hits your Cha and your Int)
3. Divine Minion from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a Is that allowed?
4. Exoticist Fighter from Dragon 310 (Smaller feat list, but gets 4 exotic weapons instead of martial weapon profiencies).
5. Feat Rogue + Swashbuckler + Daring Outlaw combo, does it work? So I get feats from feat rogue, but Sneak attack for the total of the levels anyway?

If everything is a yes, I'll probably go with the warblade/Factotum//Swashbuckler/Rogue Build. Skill Points and feats galore makes for a decent all-right non-magician.
1.  You can take the LA on one side of gestalt to start and then buy it off if you want (or not if you don't want).
2.  Half Minotaur is ok, but you will assuredly be unwelcome in Crydee proper and start off without mercenary pay as the Duke will not immediately trust you (and as there are no minotaurs native to the Midkemia setting you will have had to accidentally wander through a portal or used the hall of worlds to get to Midkemia).
3.  Divine minion is fine, and works to enter MOMF.  You can be native to Midkemia, with a god from another world who is attempting to influence Midkemia, or from another world and having traveled through a portal/hall of worlds to reach Midkemia by accident.  As the game starts you will not know how you reached Midkemia, but if you traveled the hall of worlds will have some unpleasant memories of the experience(it is extremely dangerous).
4.  Exoticist fighter is also fine.
5.  So you are going to use feat rogue to get feats.  Where do you get sneak attack to take daring outlaw, or are you looking at the variant as an ACF that comes up every time you get Sneak Attack.  I see it as a choice at first level, you either take feats for Sneak Attack or stick with Sneak Attack for the rest of your career.  On the other hand I don't see it as totally broken to choose (and you could always dip SA fighter or swordsage or any other sneak attack class for entry).  I'm going to tentatively allow it unless other players have something to say about this.

ShadowViper-I will allow Unseen Seer to grant sneak attack dice if you don't have them to begin with in case you want to use an alternate entry but still get sneak attack progression.

For Shadowcraft Mage you can wave the racial requirements as per the alternate style.  Just give me a bit of an explanation as to what the cabal of illusionists or whatever you are a part of (this could easily be an offshoot of Shar's Shadow Adepts from Faerun which could prove interesting from a rp perspective considering your motives for your actions against the temple).

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
5.  So you are going to use feat rogue to get feats.  Where do you get sneak attack to take daring outlaw, or are you looking at the variant as an ACF that comes up every time you get Sneak Attack.  I see it as a choice at first level, you either take feats for Sneak Attack or stick with Sneak Attack for the rest of your career.  On the other hand I don't see it as totally broken to choose (and you could always dip SA fighter or swordsage or any other sneak attack class for entry).  I'm going to tentatively allow it unless other players have something to say about this.

My initial plan was to grab one level of the Avenger PrC (or some other PrC granting sneak attack), and one level of sneak attack Exoticist Hit-And-Run Fighter. So I get 2d6 Sneak attack and use them to get the feat. It's a cheesy reading, but it works RAW and I've never seen it as particularly overpowered, it's just a cool way of making the rogue a solid tier 3 class.

This is my character build, which is very much a WiP, since I still haven't settled on whether to do MoMF or Half-Minotaur approach yet.

If I start with MoMF, (Which I can only do if you allow me to choose feats before class even though that isn't RAW or find a race that grants the feats as bonus feats), I guess I'll be using druid starting gold?

For roleplaying reasons, I'll probably go with the MoMF build though, as I would like him to be from Midkemia, but just a guy who randomly discovered his powers, because some distant god is attempting to influence him. Then he kindda works as a sell-sword. EDIT: I'm ofc assuming that you aren't allowing the divine minion the silly reading of his wild shape were he pretty much can heal as a free action (since he changes form as a free action, at will, and would technically regain HP from it, I just assume that wild minions don't regain HP when wildshaping)
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
So far thinking gnome illusionist with a fascination with the shadow weave and how he can use it to augment/change his illusions. As for cabals and such, that is perfectly fine, want to make him fit into the setting as much as possible.

Thank you for the offer with the unseen seer, that's actually been something that's always bugged me about that PrC, but I might still stick with Human Rogue/Wizard 1/4 entry.

But right now I'm leaning heavily toward the gnome illusionist(Edit: Pretty much decided upon it).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:25:02 PM by ShadowViper »

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
5.  So you are going to use feat rogue to get feats.  Where do you get sneak attack to take daring outlaw, or are you looking at the variant as an ACF that comes up every time you get Sneak Attack.  I see it as a choice at first level, you either take feats for Sneak Attack or stick with Sneak Attack for the rest of your career.  On the other hand I don't see it as totally broken to choose (and you could always dip SA fighter or swordsage or any other sneak attack class for entry).  I'm going to tentatively allow it unless other players have something to say about this.

My initial plan was to grab one level of the Avenger PrC (or some other PrC granting sneak attack), and one level of sneak attack Exoticist Hit-And-Run Fighter. So I get 2d6 Sneak attack and use them to get the feat. It's a cheesy reading, but it works RAW and I've never seen it as particularly overpowered, it's just a cool way of making the rogue a solid tier 3 class.

This is my character build, which is very much a WiP, since I still haven't settled on whether to do MoMF or Half-Minotaur approach yet.

If I start with MoMF, (Which I can only do if you allow me to choose feats before class even though that isn't RAW or find a race that grants the feats as bonus feats), I guess I'll be using druid starting gold?

For roleplaying reasons, I'll probably go with the MoMF build though, as I would like him to be from Midkemia, but just a guy who randomly discovered his powers, because some distant god is attempting to influence him. Then he kindda works as a sell-sword. EDIT: I'm ofc assuming that you aren't allowing the divine minion the silly reading of his wild shape were he pretty much can heal as a free action (since he changes form as a free action, at will, and would technically regain HP from it, I just assume that wild minions don't regain HP when wildshaping)

MoMF will use druid starting gold.  The free action wild shape we can simplify by making it a swift action wild shape, that way I don't have to pay attention to your offensive form at the beginning of your turn defensive form at the end situation.  We could also then say you can benefit from the wild shape healing 4/day (since that is the number of wild shapes an 11th level druid has).  Swift action probably fits better with later supplements when I feel like free actions became more defined to swift actions/immediate actions.  The class feature of MoMF itself actually slows down your wild shaping as written.

Also polymorph/shapechange/wildshape does not give spellcasting/sla's ever.

If you want to enter at first for MoMF you can take a flaw and be a human divine minion or take two flaws to get the two feats that you need to enter MoMF.  I will go with feats gained from levels happen after you pick your class.

Edit:  Also Mixster I think you will find that the stat array I gave out is a bit better than the 32 point buy it looks like you are using if that changes anything in your character choice.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:48:13 PM by vilenatas »

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
  • Advanced Spambot
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
Since you're allowing dual progression PrCs, would you allow this homebrew one by Garryl that progresses Binder and Martial Adepts? I've been itching to try it out. I don't know that we'll ever make it that far, but it would give me something to plan for...
[spoiler]
A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
...thanks
[/spoiler]

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »
Since you're allowing dual progression PrCs, would you allow this homebrew one by Garryl that progresses Binder and Martial Adepts? I've been itching to try it out. I don't know that we'll ever make it that far, but it would give me something to plan for...

I haven't seen binders in play, but if they really are tier 2/3 range in power I feel like losing at least one or two of the +1 effective binder levels is appropriate based upon the other tob dual progression prcs (both made for tier 1/2 range gishes yes so maybe only losing 1 ebl at say level 1?).