Author Topic: Barbarian Gear  (Read 10106 times)

tomasmans

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Barbarian Gear
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
Ok so i already read some handbooks..
but there is nor so much about gear...

I'm a lion totem based frenzied berserker :P

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
Re: Barbarian Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12837.msg433804#msg433804

Brand new armor and weaponry handbook, I'm sure you'll find some great enhancements for your weapon there.

Believe.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »
Frenzied berserker? Whatever your weapon is, it has the wrathful healing special ability.  Deathless frenzy + hits like a truck + half the damage you deal is healing for you = cannot die of hp damage (not the same thing as being fully indestructible, but if your primary schtick is trading damage with the brutes on the other side, it's a pretty good trick).
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

tomasmans

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
wrathful healing is from 3.0 :(

i play with 3.5

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
A lot of 3.0 stuff that was never modified in the update to 3.5 is still fair game as-is.  Ask your DM.  It's not as if big stupid fighters can't use the help.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
If that's not allowed, get Blood in the Water (Stance), Improved Critical (on any 18-20 weapon), EWP (the same weapon), a Kaorti Resin weapon (for a x4 Critical Modifier) and other stuff that boost crits, and then get a +1 Merciful Bodyfeeder weapon.

Net result = you make critical hits fairly often, hit like 4 trucks at once when you do, and half of that you get as Temporary HP. On a Frenzied Berserker, that can be a triple digit number, at least.

Why Merciful? So you don't kill your allies, and so you can beat the hell out of them for THP, if you need it badly (just use that 3rd level Cleric Spell from BoED to heal all Nonlethal damage back... Get a wand or something.) .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:25:24 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »
Improved Critical (on any 18-20 weapon)

For something as strength-based and likely to rely on Power Attack as a frenzied berserker, is there any reason this should ever not be a falchion?

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
Reach, maybe tripping(if INT 13+ or some way to get Imp. Trip without having to take a useless feat beforehand)?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

For something as strength-based and likely to rely on Power Attack as a frenzied berserker, is there any reason this should ever not be a falchion?

Yes, there is, since you'd better take EWP for the Kaorti Resin, anyway, so might as well pick a better weapon.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
Reach is everything, though.

Valorous is the best enchantment to get, but Wrathful Healing is amazing too. 

JaronK

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Yea, you definitely want reach! And Valorous!

Are you going to be mounted? If so you want a Lance.
BG's other resident furry!

tomasmans

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
no mount..

my weapon shuld be an axe

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Why do you want an axe? There aren't any reach axe weapons that I know of... does D&D have a poleaxe in it somewhere??

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »
Longaxe would work.

JaronK

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »
*Checks* Ah, Complete Adventurer.

As would Lochaber Axe from Dragon Magazine 331.

And actually Heavy Poleaxe is in Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer.

But whyyy is he spending an exotic weapon proficiency when there are PERFECTLY GOOD Martial reach weapons???

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »

Yes, there is, since you'd better take EWP for the Kaorti Resin, anyway, so might as well pick a better weapon.

So what other two-handers with critical threat range 18-20 are there?  The Talenta exotics that were good at critical hits got errata filed down to crap, didn't they?

I like the overall setup you suggested though.  It's not as stable as Wrathful Healing, but if WH is out that's a nice Plan B.  Avoiding killing your mates without having to set up a Friendly Berserker build and while leaving them available as hp batteries is a handy side benefit.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:35:56 PM by weenog »

rot42

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 01:04:20 AM »

So what other two-handers with critical threat range 18-20 are there?  The Talenta exotics that were good at critical hits got errata filed down to crap, didn't they?

I like the overall setup you suggested though.  It's not as stable as Wrathful Healing, but if WH is out that's a nice Plan B.  Avoiding killing your mates without having to set up a Friendly Berserker build and while leaving them available as hp batteries is a handy side benefit.

Elven Courtblade (Races of the Wild 166) is d10, 18-20/x2, two-handed, and works with Weapon Finesse.

Kaorti resin requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, yes? Does one feat get you the material and the weapon both?

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »
Wait you all are suggesting weapons and completely skipped the Halberd of Vaulting? Shame shame.

Halberd of Vaulting(A&E, 20,310gp and is a +2 halberd) gives +30 to Jump checks and doubles damage on a charge if you jump up 5ft into the air while charging. Jumping while charging? Sounds like it works with Leap Attack don't it? +30 to Jump checks? I'm sure you can get even 10ft into the air setting up Battle Jump for another multiplier. Oh, and it has reach.

Also Collision(SRD:Psionics) adds +5 to damage as a +2 enhancement. Berserker(UE/FR:RoF) improves the existing bonus of a weapon by +2 if you are Raging and is a +1 Enhancement. Overall you traded away +3 to attack and damage for +2 attack & +7 damage. Gloryborn is a 600gp template that gives +1 damage while charging and Baatorian Green Steel is a special material that costs 1,000gp that adds +1 damage to every attack.

+2 Gloryborn Berserker Valorous Wrathful Healing Collision Baatorian Green Steel Halberd of Vaulting costs 175,910gp.
1d10+11 20/x3, quadruple damage while charging and you heal half the damage you deal with this.

Edit - Fixed a tag, added Gloryborn and Berserker.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:26:55 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

I like the overall setup you suggested though.  It's not as stable as Wrathful Healing, but if WH is out that's a nice Plan B.  Avoiding killing your mates without having to set up a Friendly Berserker build and while leaving them available as hp batteries is a handy side benefit.

Elven Courtblade (Races of the Wild 166) is d10, 18-20/x2, two-handed, and works with Weapon Finesse.

Kaorti resin requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, yes? Does one feat get you the material and the weapon both?

Either that, or the Jovar (Planar Handbook, 2d6, 18-20x2) or Great Falchion (Sandstorm, 1d12, 18-20x2), which have better damage.

As for the feat? It says you need EWP to use a Kaorti Resin weapon - thing is, if you already have EWP, that's not an extra cost. At least, that's how I see it, because forcing players to pay even more feats doesn't sound fair, especially since this is a BSF we're talking about.

If your DM sees it different, EWP (Kaorti Resin Falchion) isn't so bad. It's just 2d4 instead of 2d6/1d12 - nothing major. Your damage doesn't really come from weapon dice anyway, if you're dealing any half-decent amount of it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:58:11 AM by CantripN »

Daniel678

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 03:02:56 AM »
Give the weapon the Gloryborn template for some extra damage when charging.

Sudden Stunning is probably the best weapon enhancement out there for what it costs. For 2k you get to stun enemies on hit with a DC that scales with your level and charisma. Did I mention that your number of uses also scales with charisma?