Author Topic: Languages in your setting: How do they look?  (Read 2884 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Languages in your setting: How do they look?
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »
Just a little fun I've had thinking about the matter recently.

What do languages look and sound like in your settings?
Came up with the following:
[spoiler]Sylvan
Spoken - Patterns of musical notes .
Written - Pictograms, tending towards curls, whorls and spirals. Think Japanese.

Celestial
Spoken - Harmonius and formal, sorta like a blend of Latin and Tamil.
Written - Sorta Arabic-like. Long and flowing.

Draconic
Spoken - Hisses, scrapes and clicks.
Written - Arcs, and dots, as easily made by claws on stone.

Infernal
Spoken -  Sorta German-like in tone.
Written - Pictograms, tending towards angular shapes and a lot of words that look very similar to other words.

Elven
Spoken - French
Written - Chinese

Dwarven
Spoken - German-Scottish crossbreed
Written - Runic script.

Gnome
Spoken - Italian
Written - Runic script.

Halfling
Spoken - Spanish-Portuguese
Written - Spanish

Common
Spoken - Pidgin English(with loan words from everything)
Written - English

Auran
Spoken - Whistles, going by pitch and length. In a pinch a flute or whistle can be used.
Written - Sentences start with a triangle, and a line emerging from the pointy end. The angle and duration that the line sticks with a given angle determines meaning. Sentences terminate on the flat side of another triangle, which points out the direction of the next sentence. Best written in three dimensions, as 2d loses a lot of nuances.

Aquan
Spoken - Bubbles/gurgles/splashes/jets of water. The number and size/volume detemines the meaning. First and last bubble define the 'baseline' volume. In a pinch, any bass instrument could do.
Written - Rings, concentric and intersecting. The degree and number of overlaps determines meaning.

Terran
Spoken - Morse, with a lot of heavy thumping. Can be 'spoken' reasonably well with a hammer, drum or any percussion tool..
Written - Shape based, with angles, depth and facets used to express meaning.

Ignan
Spoken - Light, color and heat modulation. Can be 'spoken' with a torchlight and a shutter, but would do better to use a good oil lamp and colored filters.
Written - Color and brightness determines meaning.
[/spoiler]

So, how do you see languages?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:07:31 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Languages in your setting: How do they look?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
For Abyssal...you could probably have a set of meanings, then those are stringed together however the hell the user likes to make a message. A "spoken" form would be popping sounds, which are easy to make for anything in any form, even an amorphous thing, or even colors. Most chaos-related critters are shapeshifters, after all. The color route also instantly doubles as a writing medium if a mortal wants to write it down (anything made of chaos wouldn't bother).

The elemental languages are easy enough. Air elementals vocalize by whistling, wooshing, and wheezing, earth elementals through morse-esque clicking sounds (easy to make by hitting something solid with something solid), water elementals with gurgles, bubbling, and sloshing, fire elementals with crackling sounds.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
Druidic... maybe it doesn't even look like a language, but a landscape drawing. Druids label the owner of a grove through feng shui. :p

Halfling: either derived from Common, heavily influenced by Common, or heavily influnced Common; it uses Common script and shares a number of words.

Gnome: based on Dwarven, but more freeform grammar and with more loanwords. While Dwarven and Gnome script are similar, it's like comparing block capitals and cursive (though they're a bit closer than that).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:15:18 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »
Well, I was thinking Fire wouldn't have a strictly Spoken form(since they'd probably use light and heat modulation), but anyone with a light source and a shutter could probably 'speak' it with a horrendous accent.

And here I go thinking Halfling could be some Portuguese and Spanish mix. 
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »
Not necessarily mutually exclusive with influencing and being influenced by Common. They could be influenced by the same root languages, like how Spanish and Portuguese are derived from Latin and a good number of english words have Latin roots as well.
But yes, Spanish Halflings for the win.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
There's a reason Eberron gave halflings the Mark of Hospitality. Halflings are generally friendly and have a lot of traders, so it would make sense as a significant root. I could swear I'd seen something like this before.

EDIT:
Nah, Spanish gnomes. Gnomes get the blade bravo class, so D&D Zorro is a gnome. :p
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:22:38 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
Nah, Spanish gnomes. Gnomes get the blade bravo class, so D&D Zorro is a gnome. :p
No, gnomes are small and funny inventors. They're clearly Italian.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
Infernal
Spoken -  Sorta German-like in tone.
Written - Pictograms, tending towards angular shapes and a lot of words that look very similar to other words.

FC2 actually brought this topic up before. According to it, Infernal is written in a form similar to Morse Code+Braile, but without the dots.

No, gnomes are small and funny inventors. They're clearly Italian.

This is now forever canon in my Eberron games.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »
Well, Gnomes use the dwarven script, so you get some atrocious German-Spanish hybrid.

EDIT:
All hail Italian gnomes.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
IIRC Spell weavers speak in a kind of semaphore and their written language is based on arm positions.

Also, I get the feeling that if there was an anime based on Eberron we'd get:
Draconic: German. Because anime spells are always in German.
Elven: Chinese. There are plenty of elves and half-elves, and they have both Arrogant Kung Fu Guys and a court of divine beings.
Giant (or Riedran): English. Exotic and powerful, but somewhat crude. Riedran visitors are pretty cool, but they're trying to subvert local culture.
Goblin: Antiquated Japanese. Because they were the first inhabitants of Khorvaire and had samurai.
Orc: Ainu. Because ancient and respect for nature.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:13:17 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
some atrocious German-Spanish hybrid
Also known as... Italian.

(Okay, to be fair it's more on the Spanish side.)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
I haven't put this much thought into it, honestly. I remember one campaign where I tried to give each sub-race a language and each continent a separate Common. It turned out to be a big pain in the ass and a pointless skill point sink.

That flavor is cool though. I have been known to try to adopt voices for NPCs, so I guess I do put some thought into how things sound... just when I'm speaking English, though. ;)
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
Edited some ideas in.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Arturick

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »
I always had my goblins speak Spanish.  Common-speaking goblins tended to sound like Cheech Marin.

Running gag at my table is that Undercommon should Ebonics.  "Fo' shizzle my Drizzit!"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »
Aquan: Bit of an interesting case. The elemental plane of water is, well, nothing but water. Aquan isn't sound-based because everything is drowned out by the constant roar of noises propagating in every direction. Instead, it's based on the pressure made by the water against your skin. There's no fixed phrase that means something because a speaker has vary what he does to account for currents, other creatures, local architecture, whatever. In the open air, you speak it exactly the same (taking into account your surroundings) and a listener has to determine what sort of pressure patterns he'd feel if he can't feel them normally. The script is a stylized representation of those pressure patterns, which makes it a lot easier to read Aquan than to speak it if you're not an aquatic race, since a written Aquan phrase isn't context-dependent.

Ignan: It's fire-based, obviously, but since the entire freaking plane is on fire, temperature fluctuations distinguish what you're saying from random background noise. You could seriously have the script look like a graph of temperature over time and just be a single line spiking up and down, with breaks indicating words or something.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »
^^
Aquan's an interesting thought, I went with pulsed bubblings because thats pretty much the reason, you need to make it through the cacophony. Good call on the context dependency though.

Ignan, I updated the OP with something. Color and temperature both apply, largely because color propagates further than variations of heat when well...the whole place is on fire.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]