Author Topic: Teehee!  (Read 3753 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Teehee!
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »
Alright, I would like to call your attention to a couple of loverly character options:

1. Wand Modulation, a low-level spell from Complete Scoundrel that allows you to replace a spell on a wand with a spell up to one level lower than the spell; you must cast the spell onto the wand.

Benefits: You can stick ANYTHING that counts as a spell onto the wand. Yes, this does include infusions and mysteries, as well as Arcane/Divine spells.

Drawbacks: The spell is at the minimum caster level for a spell of that level, the spell only lasts for 1 minute/level, the spell cannot have an expensive material or experience component, and the spell consumes 2 charges per use.

2. Metamagic Item, that crazy broken infusion from [can't remember where].

Benefits: You can apply any metamagic to a wand. I can't remember completely, but I thin it is safe to say this only works with metamagic you personally have.

Drawbacks: Only lasts 1 round/level, and you can't normally have an item of it.

3. Wand Bonding, a feat from City of Stormreach, page 117 iirc.

Benefits: You can cast any spell that is in a wand using your own spell-slots; the spell receives a CL bonus equal to 1/5 your CL.

Drawbacks: You have to be a Warforged.

So, what are we to do?

1. Take Wand Bonding. If you are a Warforged Sorcerer, you can replace your familiar with this feat.
2. Buy a wand of Wand Modulation.
3. Have a friendly Artificer use Metamagic Item on the wand to add Persistant Spell to your Wand Modulation.
4. Use Wand Modulation, and have an eligible spell cast into the item.
5. For the next day, you can cast that spell out of your own slots.
6. ???
7. Profit!

Fun fact: Thanks to the fact that the Wand Modulation spell just grabs a spell, you can throw on some neat little infusions or mysteries, and cast them as a sorcerer.

A nice little trick, am I right?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
Re: Teehee!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:19:07 AM »
Ill have to look over the sources when i get home, but if it works as you describe, it is a very nice little trick.

Cudos to you sir.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
If, we can combine arcane CL loops and a level of thrallherd, one could acquire quite a wand collection...
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
What's the exact wording on Wand Modulation and Metamagic Item? Could we apply Heighten to get any spell we want?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
Quote from: Metamagic Item
Metamagic Item
Transmutation
Level: Artificer 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Spell trigger magic item touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

You temporarily apply a metamagic feat you know to a single spell contained within a spell trigger item. For the duration of this infusion, anyone who casts that spell from the item gains the benefit of that metamagic feat. For example, you could imbue a wand of fireballs with the Empower Spell feat or apply the Maximize Spell feat to the cone of cold spell in a staff of frost.

Quote from: Wand Modulation
Wand Modulation
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched wand
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: Yes (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
Manipulating the very magic that infuses your wand, you alter that energy, opening the magic item to a new power of your choosing.

Quote from: Wand Bonding
Prerequisites: Warforged, ability to spontaneously cast arcane spells or infusions.
Benefit: When activating a wand, you can choose to sacrifice an arcane spell slot or infusion slot of the level of the spell to be cast from the wand (or a higher level) instead of using one of the charges in the wand. In addition to powering the wand, this increases the caster level of the effect by one for every five caster levels you possess. A wand must have at least one charge for you to activate it in this way.
Special: A warforged sorcerer can take Wand Bonding as a bonus feat at 1st level in place of the summon familiar class feature. A warforged artificer can add this feat to the list of available bonus feats.

The only thing I see from this is the need to be able to get wands higher than 4th level, I'm sure there's some way to do that somewhere....

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »
Heighten + Wand Modulation might just get you higher level slots.  Though I'd be curious what the effects of the 2 charges cost from Wand Modulation would be.  Would it be 2 spell slots?  If so, that's kind of harsh. 

As a side note, wouldn't this work well w/ stuff like Double Wand wielder? 

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
Wand Bonding is AMAZING! Channel Charge (LEoF) can do this for anyone who has UMD, but it's not nearly as efficient or effective.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
As far as I know, the 2 charges requirement are subsumed by the using of a single spell slot.

And yes, Heighten would work; sadly you can't get Earth Spell onto the wand, or you could grab 9th level spells.

Still, 8th level spells and below are nice, right?

Now, we just need to get to Epic levels, and I'm pretty sure this would allow you to cast Epic spells off of wands...

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
Wands only have upto 4th level spells, no? Anyway, try Scepters (LEoF) for up to 7th level spells - they work like Wands, so it might work.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
If you Heighten the spell on the wand, it explicitly raises its level.

You can then use Wand Modulation to shove a spell of up to one level lower onto the wand.

Specific vs. General, and the spell is more specific.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
As far as I know, the 2 charges requirement are subsumed by the using of a single spell slot.

And yes, Heighten would work; sadly you can't get Earth Spell onto the wand, or you could grab 9th level spells.

Still, 8th level spells and below are nice, right?

Now, we just need to get to Epic levels, and I'm pretty sure this would allow you to cast Epic spells off of wands...
Epic Spell don't use slots, iirc.  

Are there any metamagic reducers for Heighten?  What about Practical Metamagic?  There's Incantatrix, too, but that's a lot of levels, and I've been trying to avoid that.  

This trick really just lets you expand your Sorcerer spell list, right?  It's hard to make it uber flexible b/c you need to cast the spell into the modulated wand before you can use it, or am I missing something?  That's why I was thinking of double wand wielder (there's an epic feat that I think is even better ... but epic), since otherwise I didn't see anything too awesome about it, except for the whole expanding your spell list thing.  

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Another trick for the spell-to-power erudite? Dorjes don't have the level cap that wands do.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »
Anybody that lets transparency go that far (djores for wand feats) is insane.

Heighten doesn't work but this should still be entered into dirty handbook tricks. Metamagic Item shouldn't (but does) allow persist RAW, correct?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
hmm ... Psi Arty doesn't get all the goodies, but it should get some of the goodies.

Metamagic Item "should" work with a psi arty, and maybe not even need a conversion.
Wand Bonding ought to work. But perhaps it needs an official conversion.
Wand Modulation ... somebody else would have to make a Powerstone of Spell X via Chameleon Crafting, and then Psi Arty uses it from the item.

Magic Mantle fixes (almost) everything.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
This trick really just lets you expand your Sorcerer spell list, right?  It's hard to make it uber flexible b/c you need to cast the spell into the modulated wand before you can use it, or am I missing something?

Sorcerer/Mage of the Arcane Order might get some good mileage out of it.  Actually anything spontaneous arcane/MotAO.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:16 AM »
If you Heighten the spell on the wand, it explicitly raises its level.

You can then use Wand Modulation to shove a spell of up to one level lower onto the wand.

Specific vs. General, and the spell is more specific.
"The spell cast after wand modulation must be of a lower level than the spell the wand normally casts."
"normally" screws with that, no?

Was their not a 10th level spell slot hack?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:14:26 AM by LargePrime »

Drammor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 03:25:45 AM »
Was their not a 10th level spell slot hack?

The Sanctum Spell Anti-feat from the Villain Design Handbook in the Kingdoms of Kalamar.

I'm pretty sure it's typo abuse, but there you go.