Author Topic: HALP! DnD 3.5 Newb needs some pointers in the right direction  (Read 2359 times)

Braelef

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
HALP! DnD 3.5 Newb needs some pointers in the right direction
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »
In brief:

Totally new to DnD! Quickly realizing that going the standard route will result in me being way more underpowered than my teammates, as I am playing with veterans who know all the ins-and-outs of the system.

So basically, started a fighter with the intent of her being a Van Helsing-ish figure, took Rapid Reload and Point Blank Shot and Combat Reflexes because I didn't know what else to take. Then my DM told me we needed a rogue and suggested I multiclass into rogue, so I did.

Well, right now my char totally sucks. Wondering if someone could give me some tips or point me in the right direction in turning my fighter/rogue into an unstoppable force.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Stats were all randomed roll with no re-rolls, so I'm 14str 17dex 14con 13int 5wis 9cha.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: HALP! DnD 3.5 Newb needs some pointers in the right direction
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »
Oh dear. Randomized stats.

Well, the first thing you're going to want to do is find a way to shore up your Will save. Otherwise any wizard who comes along will make you worse than useless. Beyond that, there's not a lot we can do unless you give us a bit more information. What level you are, what your character sheet looks like right now in terms of levels and feats, what books your DM will let you use, what your teammates are, and the like will all help greatly. Up until then, though, we can't recommend anything because we don't know how soon you'd get it or if you'd be allowed to have it.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
Rogue3/Fighter2 continuing into Rogue or maybe Assassin?

Open Drow of Underdark and take the Hit and Run fighter ACF. Either focus on ranged or melee, don't try and go halfsies.

Open Champions of Ruin and find the Craven feat. Use this to boost sneak attack damage.

Invest in UMD. Buy wands of Wraithstrike if you go into melee. Buy wands of Hunder's Eye or Sniper's shot if you go ranged.

Could shore up will save with the Endurance + Steadfast Determination combo.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:26:39 PM »
In D&D, crossbows aren't very good.  Supposing you're using a light crossbow, you're dealing 1d8 damage on a successful hit.  If you switched to a mighty (str 14) composite longbow, you'd deal 1d8+2 damage on a successful hit.  (in either case, +1 if you're within 30 feet.) 

You can also use a glaive.  You'd deal 1d10+3 damage on a successful hit, but your to-hit bonus would be 1 worse than with a ranged weapon.  The real benefit though, is that you get an attack of opportunity whenever someone walks up next to you (more-or-less).  Using a melee weapon also allows you to flank enemies, giving you sneak attack damage. 

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »
If you're playing with well-educated vets, see if you can convince your DM to let you use the retraining/rebuilding rules from PHB2.  They can be put to some strange optimization uses like rebuilding out all your base class levels so you have nothing but prestige classes after they self-qualify, but you don't need to take it that far.  The intention seems to be pretty much exactly for this circumstance, repairing your character after you fuck it up by mistake.

If you're having trouble articulating to the DM why you should be allowed to use this, talk to the vet players and try to get them on your side.  If they really do know the game inside and out, they should have an easier time explaining to the DM why this is a good idea and you're not going to break the game with it (assuming it's not just a logic-impervious DM who doesn't understand that it's OK for the PCs not to suck).
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:05:04 AM »
+1 Weenog

I'm a little disappointed in the vets for letting you wander into what is a flavorful concept but mechanically subpar as a ranger.  I can think of various ways to build that concept, but it'd depend what you're in the mood for.

Also, who the fuck thinks randomized stats w/ no choice in assigning them is a good idea?!   :twitch

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:36 AM »
Also, who the fuck thinks randomized stats w/ no choice in assigning them is a good idea?!   :twitch

IMO, someone who should eat a Hi Welcome

+1 Weenog

+1.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:06 AM »
On a side note, crossbows arent that horrible, as long as you are a sneak attacker. Get the Crossbow Sniper feat from PHB and the Rapid Reload feat from PHB. The former doubles your sneak attack damage and gives you a tiny damage bonus, while the latter allows you to reload as a free action, which will be golden later on. My Van Helsing is a tad rusty, but didn't he dual wield crossbows? I remember tbat he was able to put out a significant volume of fire, so perhaps he were. If you decide to go that way, the Hand Crossbow Focus feat from PHB2 counts as both Weapon Focus and Rapid Reload, but for hand crossbows only. Never ever use repeating crossbows as weapons! They suck!

If you are allowed a rebuild, I suggest that you take 3 levels of rouge first because you get x4 skill points at level 1, and then proceed to go fighter and possibly assasin as Solo said.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:11:13 AM »

It doubles the range at which you can sneak attack.  Was that what you meant? 

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »
A factotum might be what you are looking for... or the chameleon PRC...
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 06:49:19 AM »

It doubles the range at which you can sneak attack.  Was that what you meant? 

Yes. Yes it was.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
Why wasn't Daring Outlaw or Swift Hunter Mentioned? Both work for this. I'd never made an Archer nor a Ranger, nor a Swift Hunter before, but it looks about right.

Scout 4 / Ranger 2 / Stalker of Kharash 2 / Ranger +X with Swift Hunter works just fine for this concept:

Feats:
Human - Favored of the Companions
1 - Hand Crossbow Focus
3 - Point Blank Shot
4B - Alertness
5B - Track
6B - Rapid Shot
6 - Swift Hunter
9B - Endurance
9 - Woodland Archer
12B - Manyshot
12 - Greater Manyshot
15 - Wise to Your Ways (Evil)
17B - Improved Precise Shot
18 - Nemesis (Evil)

ACFs:
Arcane Hunter (Complete Mage)
Shooting Star (4th, Champions of Valor)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:38:30 AM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »
Some nice items I just happen to have been looking at:

The spear of Skirmishing and the Stirge Bolts. Get the skirmishing effect on your crossbow instead, and use stirge bolts whenever possible. They do 1d4 CON damage per round until destroyed.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
Basically, for a crossbow user, steal as much as you can from this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11805.0
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
Can you make a new character?  If so, you can do a lot more of what you want.

Factotum, Warblade, and Druid are helpful for character making.

Also, read Why Each Class Is In Its Tier.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"