Author Topic: Pathfinder w/ Legends of Sorcery Magic System?  (Read 2068 times)

PyreBorn

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Pathfinder w/ Legends of Sorcery Magic System?
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »
So first of all, hello everyone, first post on these forums! :D

So I've got a few questions, since I've used Legends of Sorcery but never used Pathfinder.

Are the limits placed on casters in Legends of Sorcery enough for a Pathfinder game. I ask this because I've heard that non-casters got better, but still not enough for some classes.

If you've used the system and have any houserules for Legends of Sorcery that may help, that'd be great too.

In case you don't know what Legends of Sorcery is I'll give a few points of it.
You gain a Base Magic Bonus to cast spells.
Spells have a DC based on level, you don't get spell slots.
Spell DC's are 15+(sp level*5) with various increases for armor, fatigue, casting from a book, etc.
You have a spell failure chance for rolling too low.
You have to "learn" spells, by making various checks to watch someone casting, read a scroll, read a book etc.

So that's about it. Like I said, never ran Pathfinder before, but I'm planning on it, and I know my players like Legends of Sorcery, but hated the way martial characters lagged behind, so any advice on both systems together would be nice :)

---Also, if anyone knows of any threads on any forums about other people using Legends of Sorcery I'd appreciate any links, I have yet to find anyone else using the system, which is a shame because it has a lot of potential!

Thanks for your time :D
Pyre

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Pathfinder w/ Legends of Sorcery Magic System?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:31 AM »
Hmm, not sure without having played with Legends before, but using the PF-only spells helps a bit(they shanked some of the worst offenders like Polymorph, but casters are fundamentally high up).

The PF martial classes do tend to do their job somewhat better though, so the gap isn't as large. In combat. Out of combat, it depends on the class, some have decent skills, but most of that angle remains limited. So...just broaden their skills where you can to match their ability focuses so they don't sit out non-combats.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

PyreBorn

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Pathfinder w/ Legends of Sorcery Magic System?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
I have been using Pathfinder spells, and they help a lot. So I think between Pathfinder and Legends...I think it should balance it out pretty well. With the addition that non-casting classes can learn some spells if they really want, I think the balance issue should resolve itself :) thanks for the input!