Author Topic: What Games to review  (Read 21426 times)

SillyRobot

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: What Games to review
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
Heroic Cthulhu!
Do you have a copy of the system you could send us?

I wish I did; then I wouldn't need the review  :wink

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 10:45:26 AM »
*bump*

Another vote for Spirit of the Century - if you didn't review it already, I haven't found a podcast <-> game system index.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »
Well, Dresden Files. Basic Roleplaying (I'll buy it anyways, so I'm just interested in your opinion). All Flesh must be Eaten (7th printing?!).

EJ

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
I'd love to hear you opinion on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. I believe it's core rules are called "Unisystem"?

DustDevil

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »
I'd love to hear you opinion on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. I believe it's core rules are called "Unisystem"?

Yep, Unisystem.. same as All Flesh Must Be Eaten.  I believe, however, that Eden Studios (the publisher) lost the license to Buffy, and that it's more or less "dead" as a system.  I'm not sure if that factors in to whether or not a review will be done, though.

DustDevil
XBL Gamertag & Zune Social ID: DustDevil75

Geek: Rebooted
A blog of sorts

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 06:23:30 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:49:10 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »
While still in ashcan status, I would like to hear your review of "Kingdom of Nothing" by Jeff Himmelman... once its produced.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »
Generally, reviews of games I've never heard of, particularly indie games, are more useful to me.

This Kind of feedback helps the most, it lets us know how you would personally use information.

And more reviews are coming in the very near future.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 03:15:03 AM »
Ars Magica would make for an interesting review, I think. It's got some very involved mechanics and the troupe style is really intriguing (And it might give me an idea or two on how to sell the game to my players, who are reluctant to try anything new).
This space intentionally left blank.

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:49:49 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
I've never heard that term, but I love it.  We do try to do it but it's great to get framing around it.  We believe in the "playing with everything" theory and that some books are worth buying just to take ideas and not necessarily to play the game as written. 

Love it!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
I would like a review specifically aimed at the "Disillusioned D&Der" who has seen the flaws of the D&D 3.5e system and wanted a simplified, better balanced system to switch to, but believes that the D&D 4e system took those ideals too far or simply failed to produce quality gaming material after it's launch.

I feel this way because, honestly, I just might be one of those people if Martial Power turns out to be a load of crap like the Forgotten Realms books were.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
I would like a review specifically aimed at the "Disillusioned D&Der" who has seen the flaws of the D&D 3.5e system and wanted a simplified, better balanced system to switch to, but believes that the D&D 4e system took those ideals too far or simply failed to produce quality gaming material after it's launch.

I feel this way because, honestly, I just might be one of those people if Martial Power turns out to be a load of crap like the Forgotten Realms books were.
That is a good aspect, wether for a full review show or a part of other reviews.

An idea I had a while back was for a show on the "lapsed" gamer.  Take games that were around years ago and give modern equivalents.  Also give games that "fix" the reasons they stopped gaming in the first place.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

jimmersault

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
Shock - I believe it's one of those pass the stick types

It's no less and RPG strictly, so what differentiates is the GM; "Masterless" seems a good a term as any. Fits the descriptions you gave. It also sounds a lot more Catholic. ;)
Actual table rule, we had to get Zeke to stop interfering [mock humping] with the person trying to take their turn.

jimmersault: Zeke is my new hero.

jimmersault

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »
I'm still wanting a better explanation of your Gumshoe reservations. Not 10 minutes or anything, just some banter about how it fits in the big Wheel of RPGs. I know you've addressed this to me on other posts, I'm just not seeing it. I really have to play , I guess.

James
Actual table rule, we had to get Zeke to stop interfering [mock humping] with the person trying to take their turn.

jimmersault: Zeke is my new hero.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »

That is a good aspect, wether for a full review show or a part of other reviews.

An idea I had a while back was for a show on the "lapsed" gamer.  Take games that were around years ago and give modern equivalents.  Also give games that "fix" the reasons they stopped gaming in the first place.
So that those who are jonesing for that old TMNT game can find something not made so poorly?  All for it.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 05:24:18 AM »

So that those who are jonesing for that old TMNT game can find something not made so poorly?  All for it.
If you mean the Arcane game, then absolutely.  That game was fucking awesome, and every TMNT game made since then are one of the few things I actually label as Epic Fail.

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 03:18:02 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:01:55 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:08 PM »
yeah, that looks like our kind of thing.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 12:36:57 AM »
I want to hear you talk about the good in WoD without degenerating into hateful masturbation. Because that would actually be a challenge for you and informative to me.