Author Topic: What Games to review  (Read 21421 times)

Wightlord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: What Games to review
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »
I'd like to see a review of Dark Heresy, I'll leave the system review to you guys, but I think that the setting is fantastic.

"Innocence proves nothing"
I like my Women like I like my Coffee, Cold and Bitter.

I would never hit a woman, unless she called me sir and asked me nicely.

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
There is no good

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:02:10 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Orpheus, it may be hard to find but it is one of the greatest oWoD games out there. Josh, I am suggesting this for you, just so you can rant.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:19:01 PM by emissary666 »
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

DiamondMX

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
As I said in another thread, I'd love to hear what you have to say about Exalted.
But specifically 2nd Edition, since whilst 1st Edition was an improvement on what I disliked about WoD, 2nd Edition didn't have (as many) holes in the mechanics, with enough cool stuff to make it, imo, a really good game.

So that's my vote.

luke479

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »
Savage Worlds! I'm GM'ing my first game using this system and it seems to be pretty cool with it's simplicity and adaptability. It would be great to hear if y'all have any pointers or experience for fitting it in to a particular genre.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 10:40:51 PM »
That doesn't sound like a great subject for a review. It DOES sound like a great subject for a podcast, if they'd ever do anything that specific.

luke479

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »
Well, the system (Savage Worlds) is pretty broad. While that's definitely part of the appeal to it, it may make it more difficult to review. Any brief examples or experiences as to using it with success or failure would be greatly appreciated.

Dionysus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 02:23:35 PM »
You know, there are actually two games I'd like to see reviewed.

Mouse Guard. (also known as burning wheel lite) :)
 - this just looks so nice. Beautiful book which matches the comics so well. And the mechanics just seem ever so elegant. But is it to simple?

Exalted 2nd (the evil combination of awesomesauce setting with chunks of nightmare crunch)
 - where to start. The most awesome setting for fantasy. Ever. Pushes all the right buttons. But the crunch.... it just feels so wrong for the tone of the game.

Perry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »

'Polaris:  Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North'

Pretty please.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »
Little Fears: Nightmare Edition Coming this summer to a FLGS near you.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Perry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 12:47:39 AM »

'Nobilis'....   'Montsegur 1244'....    'In a Wicked Age'....   'Houses of the Blooded'....

Perry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 09:13:35 AM »
Oh, and there is always the kitsch genius that is 'Heroscape'.

Perry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »
'Best Friends: a brilliant game of friendships and petty hatreds'

Not only do I want the BGs to review this game.  But I want to hear a podcast of them playing it.

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »
I'd like to hear not just reviews of games, but "The Standard _______ Game" like you did with D&D in Sode #2.

I thought it was rather insightful, helping to distill D&D down to the basics, but you haven't followed up with other games (not in the episodes I've caught up on yet). I would like to know how other games are put together so someone can say "I like D&D's Action Adventure, but I'd like to try something with conflict resolution instead of task resolution and where resource management isn't a big deal." While some games were mentioned as examples of different ways of doing things, I'd like to be able to see the whole picture of other games, not just that aspect.

I'd like to hear about the Standard Game for:

Burning Wheel
D&D 4e
Savage Worlds
Spirit of the Century
World of Darkness - any of the games (so we can hear where they missed the mark)

And any other game that's been used repeatedly for examples on the show.

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
I can't really pick just one... for sure I'd toss a +1 vote on Paranoia, Paranoia XP if I had to pick a version of it , but I'd be mainly interested in hearing about what you think about:
1) Deadlands (Savage Worlds version is fine, but I'd prefer Classic)
2) Cyberpunk 2020 (not v3 for the sake of all that's good about RPGs)
3) Slayers D20 (BESM D20 based, I always heard good things about it, but never managed to try it :\ )

Also, but not because I like it, just the opposite, I'd also like to listen to a review about Warhammer Fantasy RPG because I always hear people liking it but I don't see why, from what I've seen and tried it's well... bad. Maybe you can help to shed a bit of light on it.  I earnestly want to understand what are its good points as a person really interested in games and game mechanics, but noone of the player I talked with yet has been able to come up with a decent explanaton :(
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

MrWiggles

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »
Well, what I'd love to see gain exposure, and reviews, is Mu*ing.

Mu*s are text based role playing games. They're very diverse, if not well known.

They're some that are social, to heavy rp to, the precursors of modern MMOs. Which you can still see today, such as the terminology mob.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2011, 12:35:51 AM »
Excuse my necromancy, but did this episode ever get made?

If not... could you guys go indepth into D&D 4E and GURPS 4E?
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]