Author Topic: Character Background  (Read 3461 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Character Background
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »
Post your backgrounds here people, Imma read em all, promise!!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Character Background
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »
Background? Oh dear...

How long do you want them to be, Alastar?
Also, are there any points that each BG should have?

Until I come up with something I'll reserve this as a placeholder :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »
Not that long, 2-3 paragraphs, just a list of things your character did to get level 10, some adventures he had.  Make them end with him joining the witch-hunters.

I like plugging backstory into my main action.

this is by no means a necessity, just a lil' Dm helper.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
Character Background for: Nym
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »
be

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:52:39 AM »
Its basically the wild boy grown up.
 My pc is of the human races from the far south, jungles and the such, he was caught by one up by one of the few adventures who dared the worlds coasts by sea. Acting as a cartogropher, and anthropologist attempting to reveal some of what he found out about the world he was he was a bit of a rogue but an honorable one.
  On one such adventure my pc was found as a youth living in the wild though and a originally a novelty he was raised by the pirate adventurer as a son and and indocrinated into the ways of the "Harren'daen'kar ".
  Thus he grew into majority among the peoples of this land and considered it his home as well as, though he had many nightmares of his early life and a temper just as violent. His father took him on many journeys but decided the time came that he needed more schooling.
After completing the basic martial school, his "father" took him on a journey that would end in tragedy and change his life forever.
 While going on a route along the coast closing to the horn of the continent one night they encountered, what he recalls his father calling an "area of distortion..."
   Unnaturally Fast moving clouds passed overhead and there were strange lights in the sea, red lightning flashed in the distance, and while quickly heading for shore, a light rain began to fall, then colorlessness...
Tylunth awoke below deck the next day and emerged to find himself awash in foreign seas the sky was different sickly orangish though it was day the Sun could not be found above the water was a grey paste thick and greasy along the prow.
   Aside from himself the ship was empty, father and his crewmates had all vanished. There were no barrels or supplies on the ship and he lasted 4 days, 4 days where night never fell just the endless orange sky, and after 4 days on the ship he collapsed without water,. Laying there dying he began to pray for hours he prayed to the Gods his father had taught him though they didn't answer... he prayed to the Gods of the ancestors that he'd never knew all cotton mouthed and sweat sticky by still he drifted...
  In a fit of definance he cursed and spat at the Gods for all thier power and indifference and cry'd out through cracked dry lips
 "Vengence and unduing! I have not survived all of this life to die thus! Black things beneath the depths, void between the stars, dark red hunger gnawing at all! If the Gods lead me to this I deny them any who would have me I give my self to thee! Save thy servant" and Tylunth was embraced by darkness once again."

He awoke to find himself in a hospice and learned his boat had floated into harbor the night before. He also learned that 11 years had passed since that voyage had left and he did seem older his experience did not account for lost time further that something was wrong with his eye it was different and terrified people who saw it and so he took to wearing a patch. His fathers holdings had been sold to cover taxes and split amongst people clainming to be familly so all he had left was the ship, which he would eventually have to pay harbor space tax on. So he left his floating home to find work.
 He rejoined a an advanced Harren'daen'kar team through a placement trial of combat and has adventured with them ever since.
He often awakens to nightmares, and has other small quirks but his dedication to his peers and his unique style of fighting make him indispensible to the units he's assigned to, and often puts in requests to go to the most challenging field missions.
...Ultimately he seems unaffected to by his harsh and strange events of his life.
Looks can be decieving however...
Though what his ultimate goal is aside from adventuring as his father before him is yet to be revealed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:17:09 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Logan
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
I must have had a childhood - everyone does. But the first memories I have aren't of me as a boy playing with other boys. They're of me in a cage, and in chains. In a room full of caged freaks. And an awful smell that was nearly suffocating. I didn't know then, but I later found out that that was the smell of arcane magic. And what I am now was born from that magic.

I don't remember what happened then clearly. Whatever magics were used on my body must have affected my mind. I remember being taken from my cell to fight another monster in the pits while the mages quickly ran quill over parchment, making notes about me as I carved holes in ferocious beasts. I also remember a sharp pain in my hands and the urge to kill. As the monster crashed to the ground, the urge didn't fade...it intensified. I looked up at audience: the woman wasn't there. The woman I feared wasn't there. I could feel it in my gut: now was my chance.
I jumped out of the pit. Blood. Everywhere. Most of it not mine. Darkness as I fought through damp tunnels. And more Blood. And then daylight.

I spent the next couple years jumping mages from the side of the road and carving out their organs with my claws. Funny that one time a group of people jumped them at the same time as me and I sensed these people were not my prey, but were the enemies of my enemies. Which made them my friends. So I joined their little mage-slaying group and wore their silly black outfit and red scarf. Didn't matter to me, so long as I had more mages to carve through: and these people were good at finding them.

As for my past, I never did find out who I was. But one day I found a cave in the woods that was very familiar. Smelled like...home. And carved on the wall in the same claw markings as my own was a single word: "Logan". Those mages had called me "L1"...but I never liked that name. Logan though...sounds familiar. Like it used to be my name. So I guess I'll call myself that for now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:19:40 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:15 AM »
C'mon. This is my only PBP. Post some backgrounds people.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
oops, put it in the wrong thread, it was on my character sheet. I wrote this in about 10 minutes, while I was watching someone play BF: Bad Company, so it isn't detailed or all that good.

Wek'tcha was born in a nomadic tribe of Thri-Kreen, but at a young age left for a Swordsage temple, where he trained as an unarmed fighter, using his natural advantages of speed and four arms. Once he was sent out as a Journeyman, he found that not many people like or trust his kind, but also found that the Harren'daen'kar were willing to employ him. Employ him, but not necessarily trust him, and he has no illusions about how expendable he is to them. Nonetheless, he has sworn to work for them.

Kensai Oath: To serve the Harren'daen'kar until they allow him to quit or betray him.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
oops, put it in the wrong thread, it was on my character sheet. I wrote this in about 10 minutes, while I was watching someone play BF: Bad Company, so it isn't detailed or all that good.

Wek'tcha was born in a nomadic tribe of Thri-Kreen, but at a young age left for a Swordsage temple, where he trained as an unarmed fighter, using his natural advantages of speed and four arms. Once he was sent out as a Journeyman, he found that not many people like or trust his kind, but also found that the Harren'daen'kar were willing to employ him. Employ him, but not necessarily trust him, and he has no illusions about how expendable he is to them. Nonetheless, he has sworn to work for them.

Kensai Oath: To serve the Harren'daen'kar until they allow him to quit or betray him.
Note to self: Do not betray the multiarmed swordsage (sounds bad for the skin)

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:01 AM »
Yes, it can cause sudden redness of the skin and occasional white specks where the bone has broken through.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:09:10 AM »
Yes, it can cause sudden redness of the skin and occasional white specks where the bone has broken through.
:lmao Cool.

Okay so who's left.
Bowen?
Surreal?
Caelic and SkyDragonknight barely seem to be playing anymore... :(

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
I haven't had a chance to write up much of a background yet. I'll try and get to it this week.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
I'm still in, lacking the time to post an extended BG though...

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
I'd be intersted in seeing whatever surreal and bowen can whip up for backgrounds :)  If you have enough time that is.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »
Ow crap, completely forgot to post that concept here :embarrassed

Okay, I know for certain that I posted at least a basic background concept for Ling Ling somewhere, but I can't seem to find it anymore. The version on my PC is gone as well, seeing as my old PC completely died on me.

I'll try to get at least a basic version (back) up somewhere this weekend.

~Bowen
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:45:51 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
thanks cause I had no idea what the fuck ling ling was. Then one day I googled it and was like...
..." Its Muder-chu" wow