Author Topic: Character Backstory & Secret  (Read 2465 times)

Twicekinless

• Monkey bussiness
Character Backstory & Secret
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:09:44 AM »
Hi all!
For a new campaignthat's starting up in about a week my DM wants me to play a character with some sort of secret.  This would have the sole purpose of getting my group to actually start some real roleplaying, as we a re the munchkiniest group of people on the planet.  I was thinking stuff like being a werewolf, but not in the actual templatey sense.  I imagine this character as having a classical case of lycanthropy, where he has to chain himself up every full moon or end up devouring his family and friends.  My other idea is that my character has a tsochari living inside him.  However, he can't get rid of it through normal means (for some unknown as of now reason) and has to keep it docile through potions of some sort.  For more context, the character I'm planning to build would be a Feral (from savage species) half-minotaur fighter/barbarian melee combatant.  I'm still not too sure of what to use as a class, or even as the base race.  So if anyone has any cool ideas, they would be highly appreciated.   

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Character Backstory & Secret
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
Eberron elans are people with quori criminals sealed inside them, so that seems to fit.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:21 AM »
Your possessed by some outsider, angel, demon, devil, janii etc, which gives you some small bonus once a day in exchange for dominating you for a few rounds a day. Idea from an item my DM made, a helm that dominated the player once a day to do some kind of chaotic action, in exchange for getting an extra standard action (4e). Build something up along those lines, have the party witness you under the influence so to speak, and then have to work your way free of it.

Another idea, this one ripped straight from the pages of Forgotten Realms lore, is to have your lycanthropy be an even greater curse then it already is. Make it like the curse Kelemvor had, where every time he committed a selfless act (something without a material benefit for him) he turned into a panther until he killed someone, or some amount of time passed, can't remember the exact untriggering. That would be another fun way to have the party meet up with you, perhaps change the trigger event, something purely for profit, a deed that was pure good/evil/law/chaos, committing a sexual act  :devil etc. The possibilities are endless

I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Be a powerful demon that was imprisoned in a newborn in the hopes of redeeming it through experiencing life. Now the child matures and finds himself with strange memories and urges, not knowing that he is the demon to begin with.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
Be a powerful demon that was imprisoned in a newborn in the hopes of redeeming it through experiencing life. Now the child matures and finds himself with strange memories and urges, not knowing that he is the demon to begin with.
ooooooohhhhhh that's a good one  :D
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.