Author Topic: Suggestions, ideas, critics of my character plans  (Read 1830 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Suggestions, ideas, critics of my character plans
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
For context I have a Catfolk Scout3/Monk2 (UA variant)/Ranger3 that I have.  This campaign is supposed to go into Epic levels 30-40.  For RP character theme purposes I am avoiding casting ablility (will use champions of wild ranger variant) and high dependence on magic and gear.  Oh, I'll be using it as I can get it... just don't want to be dependent for usefulness.  Looking to be a mobile swifthunter melee destroyer type with lots of outdoorsy skills.

Special Rules: DM gave us one 'wish'-not the spell- at beginning of game that we can use. We are allowed to use it for a feat, class ability, or other (even save your ass type event if wish is saved).  So far folks have mostly taken feats with it.  One got Rage 1/d for his dwarven fighter, and DM approved Improved Evasion and Weapon specialization for me as options.

Sources available:
Probably all the Complete Series
Races Series
PHB
PHBII
AEG Feats book (3.0 with tons of nice and overly nice stuff)
Draconomicon
and others....

Right now I have the following feats...
Dodge (monk)
Mobility (monk)
Improved Unarmed (monk)
TWF (Ranger)
Endurance (Ranger)
1) Legendary (stat boost every 3 instead of 4)-figured would be well worth it for epic game.
3)Weapon Finesse
6)Combat Expertise

My tentative plans over the next few levels is to grab some combination of Dervish, Scout, and Ranger, only one level each on the later too for the bonus feats and the Swifthunter goodness.

Probably looking to mostly then advance Dervish to 20 for +18 BAB pre-epic (But am considering getting some Warblade goodies for Iron heart Surge and others).

Feats I'm looking to take or considering...
Diverse Background (second favored class) DM allowing so that I do not get XP penalty.
Swifthunter
Improved skirmish
Superior Weapon Finesse (from AEG)- Dex to Damage!!!
Combat Reflexes
Power Attack
Reckless Attack (from AEG)- Subtract up to BaB from AC for Damage
Spot the Weak Point - DR offset
TWF tree
Stormguard Warrior
Unarmored Combat Proficiency tree (from AEG)- Gives level dependent bonus to base AC!!! I think a 4 feat investment to get 1 AC/level

I was looking to have about 17 levels of Scout and Dervish along with 4 Ranger and 2 Monk by 40.  But I am very open to other ideas.

Any comments or ideas are appreciated.  Hopefully I gave enough info in a decent format.  If you want stats they are generally ridiculously high (rolled stats) ie I have a dex bonus of +8 right now!!!

Thanks for the coming critics.

Placeholder - T'tosc

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Suggestions, ideas, critics of my character plans
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »
So does 30 views and no comments mean I'm going in a fine direction or is there something about this character that folks around here just don't touch (ie third party material), not enough info, bad format?   :-\
Placeholder - T'tosc

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »
Well, it looks to me like you have a very good idea of what you're doing with the character, so you don't really need much help with him :)

Since you've got dodge and mobility, you probably want elusive target from complete warrior, all 3 of the abilities are quite good, especially the ability to negate power attack's bonus damage.  Swift hunter is also a good idea, as you mentioned.  I'd skip dervish and go straight for a martial adept class...if your next level is martial class 1, you'll count as 5th level for IL, which opens up a lot of good maneuvers and stances.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:54:58 AM »
I do wonder though, how exactly do you plan on making a non magical character who is not dependent upon his stuff? Especially into mid and high epic levels? Magic too (even if you aren't casting it, buffs on you are still magic).
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »
Akalsaris- Thanks Elusive Target is a good idea.  (But I do not remember this DM ever using Power Attack against us.  Strange, I know).  On IL 5, Yep, was shooting for it to grab Iron Heart Surge at the very least.

Skipping Dervish and going martial is definitely a tempting course that I will consider.  Much will depend on how the game unfolds.  Actually, I think I might try to sit down with my DM and develop a martial variant Dervish or Dervish flavored Prc... hmm that could be interesting.

Sunic_Flames- By not dependent I am largely meaning his ability to contribute is not strictly dependent upon gear.  Not saying he will avoid magic gear (far from it).  But with most of his abilities being Extraordinary he will function for example in an Anti-magic field.  I'll take and love the buffs and gear thank you :)  Will also be trying to help the casters in the party to optimize some too so that they can get me the goodies (and enjoy the power their characters should have).

And thanks very much fellas.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:26:29 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »
Hey all, first post and I just joined.

Whats AEG?

Is it third party?

What does it stand for?

Also, are you allowed TOB?(Bo9S) Is it a no or is it part of "other"?

D-End

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
AEG=Arms and Equipment Guide