Author Topic: Beguiler Totemist - Optimization help required.  (Read 1480 times)

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Beguiler Totemist - Optimization help required.
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
So... I'm not sure my OP-Fu was really going for me on this build. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=319030

It's basically a charger/pouncer, with natural weapons from totemist. I'm looking for critique on equipment and feat selection. Attributes were rolled, i can redistribute... But they are set. I'm married to Beguiler Totemist, so most of the optimization will come in the way of feat/equip selection. What can i do to make this better? I'm starting to think it's too weak ;/

EDIT: Forgot to say what books were allowed. Nearly all of them, but avoid setting-specific stuff. (FR/Eberron is probably okay, anything else will be frowned upon. Dragon Magazine is hard to get accepted, but may be doable.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:47:54 AM by brujon »

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Beguiler Totemist - Optimization help required.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
Well, first of all http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0

As a level 3 Totemist, you can't Bind the Sphinx Claw onto your Hands.  So you can't use the Pounce ability of the Hand-Chakra-Bound of the said Soulmeld.

Also, using Cobalt Charge is somewhat aggravating.  Remember, once you invest essentia points into it, you can't shift them around for 24 hours.  That makes this feat (Along with no-pouncing) pretty weak at this level where you can't quite pounce and only has 3 essentia points (2 from Totemist 3, 1 from the feat)...

I think you are going to either dip into Barbarian for Lion Totem to gain pounce, or, just forget about pouncing until level 5 where you gain hand chakra bind.  Alternatively, you can "sort of" do the "pouncing" with Landshark boots bound to the Totem.

Also, the -2 on damage from low strength is going to be a serious drawback to generating actually significant amount of damage...you are going to have to find other ways to increase the damage output.  Knowledge Devotion?  Bards in the party?  Cobalt Charge wouldn't be too bad if you could actually pounce but...

So, maybe squeezing in Shadow Blade feat might be the way to go.  But this one requires two more feat or something (Requires Shadow Hand Stance...which in turn requires Shadow Hand Maneuver...two feats to get the maneuver and stance, or, maybe you can convince your DM to let you have magic items to get the maneuver and the stance) and then your DM letting you use Natural Weapon = Unarmed Attack to qualify all the natural attacks as Shadow Hand weapon.

-K

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
Are you talking about Beguiler the Class?

If so Totemist 2 / Beguiler X / the Moi Dual PrC 10 is probably what you want.
It's taking an entire spell level off, traded for the Totemist goodies.
You could go Totemist 1 but that's a little weak on that side.
Totemist 3 just makes you fall behind.
You could go a +1 caster prc instead of Beguiler, or the top levels of the Moi Prc.

One of the board Beguiler guys wanna chime in here?

I have to point out psionics. Ardent can work around the lost "caster" levels.
And the level 4 power in the back of Moi is very tasty. Needs the Mind's Eye Psi/Incarnum article PrC.
Totemist 2 / Ardent 2+ / the Dual PrC 10 / Slayer on up = pretty much what you want.
Totemist 2 / Ardent 10 / Slayer 9 or the Dual above 9 ... gets over to high CO craziness.
Totemist 2 / Monk 2 / Ardent 2 / Dual 10 with Tashalatora ... is more melee focused.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
Are you talking about Beguiler the Class?
The Beguiler is a +0LA Magical Beast found in Shining South on page 60.

Ling Ling has already been done on these message boards
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:06:29 PM by gorfnad »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
Totemist 2/egoist 5/ghost breaker 3/slayer 10 is a near-full BAB build that only loses loses 3 ML over the whole build, and gets most of the totemist goodies (assuming you take the Psionic Open Chakra power and a number of ML-boosts...including Psycarnum Infusion). It's also great for being a physical powerhouse when you use Metamorphosis.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]