Author Topic: Build Idea: expansion plus MoMF war troll  (Read 4599 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Build Idea: expansion plus MoMF war troll
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
Btw, I never got around to asking. I'm assuming the reason you crafted the skin of proteus is because you wanted the item to have a high enough manifester lvl to actually be useful in combat. The actual item itself actually has a manifester level of either 5 or 7 so it is almost a glorified had of disguises.
I crafted the skin because Metamorphosis is AWESOME, even at level 7. That, and I wanted a 2/3 discount. And I wanted infinite shape-changing at will, for offense, defense, healing, and utility.

You would be amazed at how powerful low-level forms are when they're tacked on to a high-level full-manifester, and hand-picked for the task at hand. Even with just ML 7, that skin can grant you a 7-headed hydra, which, with Claws of the Beast and a 1 pp Hammer manifestation, can potentially deal 7d10+17d8+57 damage, just by himself. Considering that he can share the form, Claws of the Beast, and Hammer with his psicrystal (since he's targeting himself with a power via the skin), that's 18 attacks for a total of 14d10+34d8+114 damage. All for 12 power points (11 of which are reusable for 11 hours).

Yes, a pair of 11-headed hydras would do more, but an average of ~344 damage (if they hit) should be enough to be getting on with, for now.

Then there's the rust monster, manticore, cloaker, pixie, and shimmerling.

And that doesn't even include all the potential objects he can turn into, or the mimic forms he can turn his psicrystal into. Even at ML 7, this is a HUGE power boost, to the point where I'd say the psychoactive skin is probably one of the most powerful non-artifact items in the game (and it's more powerful than some artifacts, even).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
Even at ML 7, this is a HUGE power boost, to the point where I'd say the psychoactive skin is probably one of the most powerful non-artifact items in the game (and it's more powerful than some artifacts, even).
Agreed, I am almost positive that the creation mechanic for an artifact is a dnd designer going,"I want to create an item but don't want to worry about how much it costs."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:18:55 PM by mthor »
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Psst. Might wanna fix your quote tags.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 01:26:23 AM »
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P