Author Topic: Arcanis: RPG  (Read 8040 times)

StatMonkey

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm the Stat Monkey
    • Paradigm Concepts
    • Email
Arcanis: RPG
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
http://www.paradigmconcepts.com/

You can also download, free, our original world book, The Origins Award winning Codex Arcanis... the world book is a little out dated (as the current time line has advanced 40 years) but the core themes and structure of the world remains the same.   
Pedro "StatMonkey" Barrenechea
Director & Rules Developer
Lesser God of Typos
Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Arcanis: RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
Here I thought you made an RPG about being Me.  ;)

I actually have the older d20 core book for this. It was in 3.0 before we knew about 3.5 that I got it. Currently looking at the free fast play you linked to.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

StatMonkey

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm the Stat Monkey
    • Paradigm Concepts
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
We just added a new expansion pack to the free fast play PDF...

Which include…
    ~ 2 more pre-generated Heroes (allowing you to run tables of 6)
    ~ A Detailed example of combat
    ~ A Sneak peek to the hero creation rules
    ~ And lastly, LA Adventure Records which allow you to continue to play the pre-generated heroes (or your own heroes) in the Legends of Arcanis campaign!

Play on!
Lesser God of Typos
Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
Here is a recap of my experience playing the fast play.

First I'd have to say read the expansion portion of the fast play after you have reviewed the rules, the sample combat really helped drive home the concepts and give a feel for the pacing of the game. The 2 extra sample characters were nice too as one of my players really wanted to play a dwarf.

I had a group of 4 players with a fair bit of experience with a few systems, mostly d20 based (D&D, Starwars, Some Gurps). We made steady progress through the adventure and it took us just over 2 hours to run it, most of which was us double checking ourselves and having to reference things we weren't certain of. Everyone enjoyed the module and were genuinely getting interested in who their character was. Unanimously the favorite part was the clock for combat. We all agreed that it added a dynamic aspect to combat with the trade off of a single hard hit vs multiple smaller ones. I found both Magic and Martial abilities to be equally valid choices, we all know what happens when one is exponentially better than the other.

The biggest complaint is that we felt like much of the information was absent, mostly the skills section but those weren't required for the module and could be guessed at their use if a player wanted to try and use them. Aside from that there was a spell in Alexander's abilities that wasn't listed, but on closer examination he didn't know it despite him having an affinity for it. So the two big complaints were understandable once you look at it in the light of this being intended as an intro to be run at a Con. not a "lite" version of the rules system. The other minor complaint was that there wasn't much danger of losing. My players are used to me trying to beat their characters to within an inch of their life and when we run up against a module that is intended for a Con then they can't use that level of threat.

Overall my group enjoyed the game and we do play on at least getting the core book to really feel out the entire system. I have already pulled out my 10 year old Codex Arcanis paperback to brush up on the setting and start planning story ideas. Now it is just to find a regular day to run again.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

StatMonkey

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm the Stat Monkey
    • Paradigm Concepts
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
thank you Arcanis :oP

So anyone else have a chance to look at this?
Lesser God of Typos
Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
I've been looking at it in my local FLGS. It's next on my list to aquire and foist on my players. Will let you know when I do.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

StatMonkey

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm the Stat Monkey
    • Paradigm Concepts
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »
Excellent!!!

Please do
Lesser God of Typos
Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
Well I did take the plunge and get the book with the PDF version, still waiting on the hard copy but been reading the pdf. McPoyo depending on how deep you get into setting there is also the Codex Arcanis you can download from the site that basically is history and culture of the setting. It is 3.5 rules, where there actually is rules in it, but it is free and gives you a better view of the world. The RPG book only gives enough to give you a rough idea and I'm sure leaves you with questions if you aren't at least vaguely familiar with the setting already.

StatMonkey

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm the Stat Monkey
    • Paradigm Concepts
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
I've been looking at it in my local FLGS. It's next on my list to aquire and foist on my players. Will let you know when I do.

So did you have a chance to pick it up?
Lesser God of Typos
Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »

So did you have a chance to pick it up?
we havet played in six weeks, unfortunately. Have not had a chance to pitch it to them yet because we haventgotten to fiish out the end of our present game.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

StatMonkey

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm the Stat Monkey
    • Paradigm Concepts
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »
we havet played in six weeks, unfortunately. Have not had a chance to pitch it to them yet because we haventgotten to fiish out the end of our present game.

So have you picked up the book yet? I would love to hear what you think of it.
Lesser God of Typos
Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida