Author Topic: [3.5 PrC] Eldritch Pactmaster (Binder/Warlock Hybrid).  (Read 4007 times)

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
[3.5 PrC] Eldritch Pactmaster (Binder/Warlock Hybrid).
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:34:08 AM »
Hi All,

Thought that I would post my newest hybrid class for the warlock. Although I will admit to this not being 100% mine (I would say around a 70/30 split). When I first started putting this together I used my google-fu and found a class with the very same name (will link later, post is found in GITP forums). Oddly enough, well maybe not so surprising, there were some similarities and truth be told I liked the one ability a ton (Supernatural Blast). So, I thought why not use it. Anywho, here it is ....

THE ELDRITCH PACTMASTER
[spoiler]

Lvl BaB Fort Ref Will Special                                         Spellcasting
1st  +0  +0   +0  +2  Pactmaster                                      +1 level of existing invocation using class
2nd  +1  +0   +0  +3  Damage reduction 1/cold iron, soul binding +1   +1 level of existing invocation using class
3rd  +2  +1   +1  +3  Vestigial awareness, soul binding +2            +1 level of existing invocation using class
4th  +3  +1   +1  +4  Pact augmentation, soul binding +3              +1 level of existing invocation using class
5th  +3  +1   +1  +4  Supernatural blast, soul binding +4             +1 level of existing invocation using class
6th  +4  +2   +2  +5  Subvert sign, Soul binding +5                   +1 level of existing invocation using class
7th  +5  +2   +2  +5  Damage reduction 2/cold iron, soul binding +6   +1 level of existing invocation using class
8th  +6  +2   +2  +6  Pact augmentation, soul binding +7              +1 level of existing invocation using class
9th  +6  +3   +3  +6  Expel vestige, soul binding +8                  +1 level of existing invocation using class
10th +7  +3   +3  +7  Supernatural invocation, soul binding +9        +1 level of existing invocation using class
11th +8  +3   +3  +7  Potent shackles, soul binding +10               +1 level of existing invocation using class
12th +9  +4   +4  +8  Damage reduction 3/cold iron, soul binding +11  +1 level of existing invocation using class
13th +9  +4   +4  +8  Pact augmentation, soul binding +12             +1 level of existing invocation using class
14th +10 +4   +4  +9  Vestigial empowerment, soul binding +13         +1 level of existing invocation using class

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Bluff 6 ranks, Intimidate 6 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks.
Feat: Skilled Pact Making.
Special: Ability to bind vestiges, suppress sign ability and eldritch blast +2d6.

Eldrtich Pactmaster Class Skills
: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill points per level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.

CLASS ABILITES

Invocations: At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level and eldritch blast damage as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Soul Binding: At each level, except 1st level, your soul binding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your eldritch pactmaster levels and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher-level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Pactmaster(Ex): At 1st level, you gain a +4 bonus to your binding checks to bind vestiges. This stacks with the bonus from Skilled Pact Making.

Damage Reduction (Su): Fortified by the supernatural power flowing in his body, an eldritch pactmaster becomes resistant to physical attacks at 2nd level and above, gaining damage reduction 1/cold iron. Note that this stacks with similar forms of damage reduction.

Supernatural Blast (Su): At 5th level, you can transform any eldritch blast you cast into a supernatural blast. A supernatural blast does damage equal to your eldritch blast, and still requires a somatic component to cast, but is in all other ways considered a supernatural ability rather than a spell-like ability, and thus is unaffected by spell resistance and spells such as minor globe of invulnerability and spellturning (but it can still be nullified by an antimagic field).

You may apply blast shapes to your supernatural blast the same as you could for your eldritch blast, but not eldritch essences. In order to use this ability you must sacrifice one of your vestige granted abilities which are usable 1/5 rounds. That is you substitute this ability for the use of your standard power granted to you by one of your bound vestiges. This ability can be used no more than 1/5 rounds.

Vestigial Awareness (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can convince your bound vestige to focus on alerting you to danger rather that reveling completely in the sensations that it perceives through your pact. Whenever you make a good pact with a vestige, you gain a +2 bonus on initiative checks for the duration of the pact.

Subvert Sign (Ex): At 6th level, you gain an improved version of the binder's suppress sign ability. You can now suppress the sign of a bound vestige even if the original binding check resulted in a poor pact.

Pact Augmentation (Su): At 4th level, you may select one additional ability from the list of pact augmentation abilities available to binders (ToM, p. 11). At 8th and 13th level, you may select one additional ability. These abilities stack with any you receive from your other binder levels.

Expel Vestige: You gain expel vestige as a bonus feat.

Supernatural Invocation (Su): At 10th level, you can transform any invocation into a supernatural invocation. A supernatural  invocation still requires a somatic component to cast, but is in all other ways considered a supernatural ability rather than a spell-like ability, and thus is unaffected by spell resistance and spells such as minor globe of invulnerability and spellturning (but it can still be nullified by an antimagic field).

In order to use this ability you must sacrifice one of your vestige granted abilities which are usable 1/5 rounds. That is you substitute this ability for the use of your standard power granted to you by one of your bound vestiges. This ability can be used no more than 1/5 rounds. Also note that only one such supernatural invocation can be active at any one time. If the character chooses to cast another invocation using this ability the previous supernatural invocation immediately ceases to exist.

Potent Shackles (Su): You have mastered a method of binding vestiges which allows you to, once per day, negate the effects of a failed binding attempt. Instead the roll is considered to have been a success.

Vestigial Empowerment (Su): At 14th level, by sacrificing the benefits of one of your bound vestiges for the rest of the day you are able to empower your eldritch blast. For a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) you are able to apply one of the following feats (which follow the normal rules for applying such a feat) to your eldritch blast: empower spell-like ability, quicken spell-like ability, heighten spell-like ability or maximize spell-like ability. Every round you are able to choose which feat to apply to your eldritch blast. Activating this ability is a standard action and is usable once per day.[/spoiler]

All suggestions/comments/ridicule/heckling/0.2 cents/fist pounding welcome.

Edit: Supernatural Invocation could lead to some real abuse methinks. Maybe it should be limited to a uses/day?
Edit 2: Added a caveat to the Supernatural Invocation which allows the character to have active only one such ability at any one time.

Cheers
Volf

PS. If the original author found on GiTP finds that he does not like his ability (actually two iirc) being used please PM and I shall quickly rectify the matter.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:43:48 PM by Volfogg »