Author Topic: [PF] Unique Bloodline  (Read 3810 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
[PF] Unique Bloodline
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
EDIT: Seems okay now.

Unique Bloodline
The blood of many beings flows through your veins, but none are strong enough to grant power on their own. Or perhaps your powers were induced artificially. Whatever the case, your spells do not seem to follow any identifiable pattern.

Class Skill: None

Bonus Spells: A unique bloodline sorcerer may choose any spells on the wizard/sorcerer list as bonus spells. The spell gained at lv3 must be 1st-level, with the maximum level increasing by 1 at every two levels thereafter. This flexibility comes at a cost - you may cast one fewer spell of each level per day.

Bonus Feats: Expanded Arcana, Extra Cantrips or Orisons

Bloodline Arcana: The DC of Spellcraft checks made to identify your spells is increased by +2.

Bloodline Powers:
  • Extra Cantrips: At 1st level you learn two additional sorcerer cantrips, as if you had selected the Extra Cantrips or Orisons feat. Alternatively, you may learn one cantrip or orison from any list.
  • Confusing Structure (Su): At 3rd level the DC of checks made to dispel your spells increases by +2.
  • Spell Recall (Su): At 9th level you gain an Arcane Pool as a magus, containing a number of points equal to 1/2 your sorcerer level plus your Charisma modifier. If you already have an Arcane Pool from another source, your levels in both classes stack (if you gain this ability through the Eldritch Heritage feat chain, the size of your arcane pool instead increases by +2) and you may use your Charisma modifier in place of the normal ability modifier to determine its size. As a swift action, you may regain one sorcerer spell slot you have expended for the day by spending a number of points equal to the spell's level. You do not gain any other uses for your arcane pool, such as weapon enhancement.
  • Exotic Magic: At 15th level you add one spell from any spell list to your spells known. Whenever you gain another level of sorcerer you may change the spell granted by this ability.
  • Unlimited Potential (Su): At 20th level as a swift action you may gain knowledge of any sorcerer spell for 1 round by expending a number of points from your arcane pool equal to the spell level +1.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:45:10 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: [PF] Unique Bloodline
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
Spell Recall should specify that it does not include the weapon-enhancing components of the Magus's Arcane Pool ability.

This looks about right (not that I have much experience working with Pathfinder) compared to a quick glance at some of the existing bloodlines. Good as always, Prime.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
The Bonus Spells is probably too good, way too good. I'd say halve level availability or otherwise weaken the abilities, given that they have solid abilities and pretty much the best spell and feat available list for bloodlines.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
The Bonus Spells is probably too good, way too good. I'd say halve level availability or otherwise weaken the abilities, given that they have solid abilities and pretty much the best spell and feat available list for bloodlines.
I wanted to weaken the abilities, but wasn't really sure what to do with them. As for the feats, it's hard to come up with a restricted list for "anything". Maybe Expanded Arcana and Extra Cantrips? EDIT: Done.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:31:05 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
Work it as an archetype then?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
Work it as an archetype then?
With some penalty like fewer spells per day?
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »
Less spells per day, in exchange for free selection of their arcana spells? Good deal I think.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
Is the free spell selection really a problem? In other cases it comes with a penalty (like the Warmage's Advanced Learning vs. Eclectic Learning), but I don't think it should in this case. Unlike with the Warmage and similar classes, free selection doesn't add any new options, it only gives a bit more of the options you already have and can already choose from (spells from the Sorcerer spell list). As long as the other abilities and feat options are no stronger than the alternatives (or even a little bit weaker) it should be good.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
^^
Not that. Sorceror Bloodlines give extra spells known, which are generally 1/3 generally useful, 1/3 sorta useful and 1/3 rubbish. When you turn those into free selection spells you're giving the sorceror an added spell known per sorceror level(which granted, pales before the nonsense that is the human racial class bonus), which is significantly stronger than other sorceror bloodlines.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]