Author Topic: Pinpoint Poisoner feat (Ultimate Combat)  (Read 3624 times)

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Pinpoint Poisoner feat (Ultimate Combat)
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »
So this feat seems pretty nice: you can whip out two blowgun needles and poison them up as a single swift action, then use them in melee or throw them like shuriken. The important bit here is that, in melee, the needles are touch attacks. From my point of view, the poison is just a bonus and I plan to use these for sneak attacks. It's not as great as it could be since it's a standard action to attack with a needle instead of an attack action (or full attack to attack with both needles at once), but it still seems pretty decent.

That said, I'm trying to figure out how much damage it actually does. It says "1d2 damage plus any bonuses you gain on your normal unarmed strike damage" - does that mean that a monk (or a character with a Monk's Belt or grandfathered-in Superior Unarmed Strike) gets to add their unarmed damage to it, or does that not count as a "bonus on unarmed strike damage"?

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Pinpoint Poisoner feat (Ultimate Combat)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »
A monk's unarmed progression is the base weapon damage.  I think bonuses would be more like amulet of mighty fists, weapon training, etc...  You know, stuff that gives +X to attack or damage for your unarmed strike.  The d2 seems to be replacing your unarmed damage in return for making touch attacks and elivering the poison.

In any case, to get that feat as a monk you'd need to multiclass for Poison Use (or be a Drow, I guess, but they have awful stats for a monk) and it's still pretty bad.  If you want to make a poisoner, much better is to be an Alchemist.  They get poison use right away, eventual poison immunity, ability to apply poison as a swift action, and useful discoveries for poison.  Sticky poison lets you get multiple uses out of a single dose.  Ultimate Combat has a new discovery to spend a minute (and no gold!) to turn any type of poison into a different type (contact, ingested, inhaled, injury) in just one minute of work!  I'm sure that has some abusive applications, though I'm not that great with poison knowledge.  First idea I got was inhaled drow poison for 10 ft cubes of "nap time."

Alchemist even gets to craft poisons twice as fast (and at very high levels insanely fast).  They're basically THE poisoner class, it seems.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Pinpoint Poisoner feat (Ultimate Combat)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
A monk's unarmed progression is the base weapon damage.  I think bonuses would be more like amulet of mighty fists, weapon training, etc...  You know, stuff that gives +X to attack or damage for your unarmed strike.  The d2 seems to be replacing your unarmed damage in return for making touch attacks and elivering the poison.

In any case, to get that feat as a monk you'd need to multiclass for Poison Use (or be a Drow, I guess, but they have awful stats for a monk) and it's still pretty bad.  If you want to make a poisoner, much better is to be an Alchemist.  They get poison use right away, eventual poison immunity, ability to apply poison as a swift action, and useful discoveries for poison.  Sticky poison lets you get multiple uses out of a single dose.  Ultimate Combat has a new discovery to spend a minute (and no gold!) to turn any type of poison into a different type (contact, ingested, inhaled, injury) in just one minute of work!  I'm sure that has some abusive applications, though I'm not that great with poison knowledge.  First idea I got was inhaled drow poison for 10 ft cubes of "nap time."

Alchemist even gets to craft poisons twice as fast (and at very high levels insanely fast).  They're basically THE poisoner class, it seems.

Actually, I was planning to get it on a ninja for touch sneak attacks and be the guy who kills with acupuncture. I was just wondering whether Superior Unarmed Strike or the like would be a help. The poison is just icing on the cake. Er, poisonous icing. :)