Author Topic: Gleemax, how we barely knew yee  (Read 6289 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Gleemax, how we barely knew yee
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
At its core a myspace for gamers is a brilliant idea.  And WotC has the market share to actually get enough people involved.  The problem was execution.

The people involved were genuinely incompetent and as such the project was doomed from the get go.  I am happy that WotC decided to kill the project rather than keeping it on life support. 

I agree that at its core, Myspace is a good thing to have. However, in practice, it has become one of the five sites I avoid like the plague, the other 4 being Gaia, 4Chan, and three of the specific portions inside 4Chan (namely /b/).

Now that Gleemax is going the way of the dinosaurs, I'll be busy with CopyPasta for my classes and ideas. It is a shame really, I had great memories from before they started all of these changes, and I hate to see the place they were created on die off like this. But then again, Tzeentch has dictated that a change must be wrought, so I cannot oppose this descision they have made.

Really, these last few months have been like watching a grandparent in the hospital. They just kept getting worse with no one doing anything but abandoning it and complaining about how it was doing. I know I abandoned the site too, but I still do post there to help others out, and I do care about how it has turned out.

All I can say is this though; Its been...intresting. Without these forums, I wouldn't know anything about the games I play, and I wouldn't have allies here. Hell, I'd still be just a face in the crowd without the net as a whole, and the forums at WotC was just one of the places I've come to know very well over these past few years. Its sad to see it go, but at the same time we all have to hope this change can be for the better.

And that G0 is never put in charge of managing forums again.

Tzeentch has spoken, and the strings of fate have shown us the path that Gleemax now walks. Grab a shovel, people, its time to burry the past.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »
I have a really, really bad habit of saying "I told you so" and being insufferably smug.  I'm going to try really hard not to do that here, because it's not, in my opinion, really something to celebrate.

As Josh said: if this had been done right, it could've been something genuinely useful and special.  Unfortunately, WotC seems to have a habit of committing to projects and then just assuming that they'll happen, rather than actually allocating anything like realistic resources and manpower.

I think this is going to hurt them extremely badly as far as D&D Insider goes.  A company marketing an online game is selling their reputation as much as anything.  WoW became a phenomenon because Blizzard has a reputation for quality products, as much as anything.

WotC's reputation in terms of online projects, to put it politely, sucks like the vacuum of space.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »
Resisting the urge to rip WoW again...

I really hope that this isn't all that WotC prunes from their incomplete, doomed projects list.  D&D Insider is already something I'm not even going to involve myself in because it's not Mac compatible, but the fact is that we've got MapTool, Ventrilo, Skype, and a battery of other DM and Player tools floating around the internet that their respective creators are doctoring to fit 4e, and they just might finish before WotC launches DDI.  Everything you can get out of D&D Insider you can already get somewhere else on the internet for free, with the exception of DDI being 3D and maybe that odd Character Imaginer or whatever that's supposed to help you write a character backstory.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 02:53:42 AM »
For the first few weeks, I thought Gleemax was a hacker's site that took over the Wizards forums.  I certainly didn't know about any big changes to the site, because I never read the metadata forums.  I just went there to talk about D&D and guns.

Melblen_Cairn

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »
I was on those Forumns quite a bit before they switched over to Gleemax. After they did I knida lost interest in it. I found this by chance when I happened across Jacemachine's Black Island campaign posts over there and moved here when it got migrated over.
Wisdom has two parts; Having a lot to say and not saying it.

GM for Dawn of Defiance
Eliana Toiba Abijah in Isle Noir: Bad Karma.
Rose Marie Wentworth in The Artifact: Prologue

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »
Closing of Gleemax
And nothing of value was lost.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
I was on those Forumns quite a bit before they switched over to Gleemax. After they did I knida lost interest in it. I found this by chance when I happened across Jacemachine's Black Island campaign posts over there and moved here when it got migrated over.

My experience was very similar.