Author Topic: Catfolk in PF  (Read 2514 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Catfolk in PF
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
Catfolk (RotW) gets quite good attribute bonuses and minor skill bonuses, but not much besides that. Would it be a +0 or +1 CR race in PF? It has +1 LA and if I remember correctly it gets +1 CR as a monster.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Catfolk in PF
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:57:56 AM »
Lets see...significance is in +2 more stat and missing a -2 than the usual array, it also has slightly better speed and an insignificant AC/skill bonus. However, it has a complete dearth of racial abilities worth a damn, while PF races tends to have more on that end.
So...it doesn't quite work as a +0, because its stats are above that, but has no significant racials. I'd say strip out +2 off the Dex, put in a -2 to something(Wis?) and throw in paired natural weapon claws with darkvision to make it a +0.
If you were to make it a +1 you'd need actual racial abilities worth a damn, rather than just stats.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »
What are your suggestions for +1 CR?
For comparison other +1 CR races/templates:
Advanced
Half-Celestial (5 HD or less)
Ogrekin
Drow noble

Also:
Would an anthropomorphic tiger considered as a good CR 1 or would it be under-/overpowered?
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »
^^
Pathfinder generally reduces LAs for PC races to 0 where possible, and running with the CR +1 templates as LA +1 templates are a recipe for trouble and only done when theres no other option.

Monsters as PCs
Notice how all those LA races are LA 0 there?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
Anything that originally had an LA +1, were changed to +0, but it was recommended that anything that was not part of the original core races, and had been a +1 LA race before, should be given -500 exp at the start of the game to help balance things out somewhat.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.