Author Topic: Magic Item Creation with Metamagic Feats with reduced cost...  (Read 5441 times)

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
does that mean that the only "metamagic items" I can create are those ones? In the Creating Magic Items section it does not specify to what kind of items can you apply the metamagic feats.

Second question:

The SRD table Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values states: If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

So, what happens if the spell duration is just "1 minute" (not 1 minute/level), like for example Giant Size, from Complete Arcane? Assuming caster level 20, 1 round/level would be 20 rounds, what is equivalent to 2 minutes, what is already more than the spell duration.

And my final question:

If the crafter wants to create a magic item that emulates a spell modified by a metamagic feat, and by any means he can reduce the spell slot increase cost of the metamagic feat, like for example with the Metamagic School Focus feat from Complete Mage, or with Divine Metamagic from Complete Divine, would that also reduce the magic item price? For example, an Extended Mage Armor spell would be a level 2 spell, but with the Metamagic School Focus feat it can become a level 1 spell (same for differents examples and different methods, like Divine metagic), and then, when calculating the base price of a magic item with that spell, what level would I use, 1, or 2?

Thanks in advance to those who bother to answer ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:44:35 AM by Cazador75 »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Magic Item Creation with Metamagic Feats with reduced cost...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
To my understanding, there was never a RAW clarification on crafting items with reduced metamagic costs.  Since there are no special rules for this, assume the default.  Thus, the lower the metamagic cost, the lower the item creation cost.

For spells with a duration of "one round, "one minute," "one hour," etc, I assume to use the plural.  That is, a spell with a 1 minute duration has a duration measured in minutes.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:59:17 PM »
3. Then, the price for an item that emulates a metamagic modified version of a spell is the same as the non-modified one? (If it was created by an user of Divine Metamagic with the Extra Spell feat, for example, this means that all magic items would have a metamagic modified version of themselves for the same price... this may be too cheese)

2. Ok

1. What about this question? can you craft just potions, wands and scrolls with "metamagiced" spells?

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
3. Then, the price for an item that emulates a metamagic modified version of a spell is the same as the non-modified one? (If it was created by an user of Divine Metamagic with the Extra Spell feat, for example, this means that all magic items would have a metamagic modified version of themselves for the same price... this may be too cheese)

2. Ok

1. What about this question? can you craft just potions, wands and scrolls with "metamagiced" spells?

As always, remember that magic item creation rules are "suggestions" and "guidelines" not actually rules. If your GM tells you that a maximized wand of Cure Light Wounds costs 20,000gp, he is not wrong.  Perhaps misguided, but that's his perogative.  The same is true of whether you can include metamagic in a non-potion/wand/scroll, but it's less relevant as many magic items do not produce exact reproductions of the spells that go into them.

As far as what *I* would do, I would factor the price and cost of the item (and the minimum required CL) off of the standard metamagic adjustment, but factor the XP cost using the metamagic reduction.

I would also absolutely allow a metamagic effect to be reproduced in a continuous or use-activated item, but I would base the cost off of the effect being produced, and metamagic reduction effects would have no impact at all on the price point or xp cost.